Photo

Screenshot of the Week 81

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick you favorite screenshot. (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick you favorite screenshot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(PrinceMSC @ Mar 1 2005, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE(Radien @ Mar 1 2005, 04:09 PM)
I have yet to see a two-entry SOTW...

I'm not sure if I would post SOTW with only two screenshots. But I guess it would only be fair to the two who did enter. Maybe one day we will see.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

If that happens, maybe postpone the contest until another shot is gotten? If you don't get another after a week, something's wrong.

Back in the beginning of SOTW, the policy was if enough shots can't be gotten even after the SOTW manager asked people to send more stuff in, SOTW stops. Of course, if you ask for shots nowadays you'll probably end up with at least 6. icon_freak.gif

#17 fenoxfrost

fenoxfrost

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

I really can't decide. They are all really good. I quess Firestorm's, it really catches my eye, very colorful. icon_biggrin.gif

#18 Hero_of_Hyrule

Hero_of_Hyrule

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

FireStorm: I like the way the Tri-Force and everything looks. icon_smile.gif

Radien: This shot gets my vote. Those bricks and pillars are just so cool looking! icon_thumbsup.gif

Shoelace: I really like this shot...good layout and details! icon_wink.gif

All three shots are really good...I liked them all. I voted for Radien cause like I said...those bricks and everything really stood out from everything else.

#19 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

I voted for Radien, but I don't feel like commenting at the moment. I just have on problem with Radien's shot. There is almost no way to tell the difference between the walls and the floors. It almost looks like one whole sheet. Another problem is the fact that the screen is almost completely gray, which looks a bit bad.

#20 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

I'm a sucker for GB style quests. I voted for FireStorm.

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Mar 2 2005, 04:05 PM)
I voted for Radien, but I don't feel like commenting at the moment. I just have on problem with Radien's shot. There is almost no way to tell the difference between the walls and the floors. It almost looks like one whole sheet. Another problem is the fact that the screen is almost completely gray, which looks a bit bad.

While I think "almost no way" is a bit of an exaggeration, I understand the problem... I noticed it early on and couldn't figure out what to change. However, I threw what I had out for people to see, and haven't gotten many negative impressions. I'm not sure what I'd do to make it different, because darkening it will just look odd, being outside. At least, the floor (ground?) uses a much narrower variety of colors.

People always complain about mono-chromatic color schemes, but this dungeon as a whole uses so many different types of graphics depending on the area you're in that I doubt it'll be a problem in-game. Also, the enemies are largely meant to add the color, since sprite CSets are naturally bright.

Oh... by the way: yes, those threads suspended in air are supposed to be wind. icon_blah.gif It's supposed to look similar the wind in Wind Waker, but it doesn't look like much without animation.

#22 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:31 PM

I can't see how LTM is viewing the walls and floors as a "whole." Each are distinguished perfectly by my view. The walls have larger bricks and are much brighter. And, let me also point out that the ground is quite blurry, lacking a bit of a dark silhouette basically. You can easily tell the difference.
Clean your glasses or monitor, LTM. icon_razz.gif

I only voted for your shot, Radien, because of the threads. icon_razz.gif Actually, the palette hardly seemed to matter much in your shot due to all the great tiles and design.

#23 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

*Votes for Radien's*

Believe it or not, its not the stone texture that caught my eye as much as the wind would have. By that I mean, if it where animted, you could see the wind moving, and since ZC can't make tiles move from cell to cell yet on the own, everything must be done with good timing, and tile placement. So, I know that it took alot of effort to make the wind move, so it gets my vote. Alo, the stone does look really good!

Firestorm's was nice too. I like the GBC set, but that green... uh... Maybe darker?

Sheolaces was also really cool. I almost voted for it. I'm curious as to where Link is though. Is it a Subrosian Hotel? icon_lol.gif

Good shots everyone... Maybe I'll enter soon...

#24 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:46 PM

Radien because those walls are great. Good detail in them. Nice job on the other screenshots. They were all great this week. icon_thumbsup.gif

#25 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

PX8:

Okay, I'm glad you think it's not that bad. icon_smile.gif I'll wait for more opinions from beta testers, though. This is one of those situations where I just wait to see what player response is. If enough people remark about it, then I go back to it and try harder.

Tobias:

Ha... well, I hope you're not disappointed. icon_wink.gif Actually, the gusts of wind are only three combos wide. They sorta appear at one point and disappear once they reach another. They animate at staggered intervals, almost exactly like the water droplets in Deluge Temple.

I wanted to do something fancier, but like you said, it's difficult to do it in 2D with ZC's limited sprite movement. :\

#26 FireStorm

FireStorm

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:25 PM

I'm not sure what everybody has against the green floors...I mean, that's what it is in Seasons. Plus, it doesn't cover that much...Well, I guess I'm used to the slightly brighter GB pallette.

The shots were nice this week. Radien, Shoelace, good job.

Radien, we're always seeming to be against each other in some contest or another (remember the Expo? icon_razz.gif ). May the better man win, or I guess just the man with more votes. Though I'm curious to know if any GBC Zelda shot has ever won SotW. I guess I'll just keep trying, then. icon_biggrin.gif

#27 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

Yeah one did. Gashin won with his great shot some time ago. I don't remember.

#28 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:10 PM

Actually the answer to your question is no. There has not been a GBC screenshot with non-modified tiles or color that has won. The thing is, I rarely get true GBC screenshots. So the less there are, the less that win.

You will notice that and overworld shot of a few cliffs, trees and some water wins the most. That's because I get those more than anything else.

If it makes any difference FireStorm, I voted for your screenshot. Some might want me to follow up with a reason as to why. So... I like the design of it. How there is a big balcony that hangs off the side of the dungeon with the triforce. And all of the tiles in the screenshot go with each other too. To me, it has more qualities that I think a screenshot should have over the other two screenshots.

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#29 Deepfreeze

Deepfreeze

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

I just have on problem with Radien's shot. There is almost no way to tell the difference between the walls and the floors. It almost looks like one whole sheet.

Actually, I saw the same thing. I think it would definitely be different in the game, as you immediately see enemies and whatnot happening on them, so your mind directly percieves it as flooring, not walls. As a game, it would have been much better than this screenie.
In any case, I voted for Shoelace's because I liked the original theme, and the shot had depth,something I am a big fan of. In games, also, I find myself better enjoying areas with depth like this, versus Radien's, which seems to have little to no depth at all.

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(Deepfreeze @ Mar 3 2005, 04:26 PM)
In games, also, I find myself better enjoying areas with depth like this, versus Radien's, which seems to have little to no depth at all.

This is probably because he's using the traditional Zelda dungeon perspective. Once you see enough of it, the perspective most other games use starts to looks flat. Take a look around and try to find more outdoor building shots that use "straight upright" perspectives. I'm willing to bet the same is true.

'Thing is, his is an indoor shot. It's impossible to use the same perspective outdoors, at least not with most square buildings. It just looks crappy.

The only other option is to do it Minish Cap style, where the top of the building expands outward as though it were closer to you... but from what I've seen, that is very difficult to implement with complex structures.

Firestorm:

So, the green was originally there in Seasons, eh? Well, being 100% accurate to the original means you accept the original flaws, too. icon_shrug.gif

The only screens which have won SOTW using nothing but unedited tiles and palettes, all ripped from the same Zelda game, were LTTP screens, I think. I don't believe a purely NES screenshot has ever won, either. It's not just because 8-bit and Gameboy graphics are dated... they also have a much smaller variety of tiles, and that limits what you can construct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users