Zquest Wishlist

Zquest Ideas Concepts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#1 Local_Droog

Local_Droog

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

So this is mostly a "What new things do they hope they add" Kinda thing, I want people to give out ideas I have a few mostly stuff I could see helping people in making quests,  

*Smooth scrolling : I know im beating a dead horse as this is ZC's #1 most-requested feature but It really should be added. Ive even ideas of making d-map screens connected (like how you make a map on the Dmap Screen)  So you set Screens to use Smooth Scrolling rather then block .(Like in ALTTP)

D-Map/Map Size : While the  16x8 maps are nice Id like to make them bigger rather then making multiple  maps just have one big one.  Maybe have a maximum of 100x100 or something like that

Better Item/Enemy Editors: Pretty much want to be able to make bosses and be able to have more customabilty for items maybe add more items like the Ice Rod 

More items per Screen/Screen 80's: I would love to able to more more then one chest on a Screen and I want to able to set text items and guys on Warps rather then Screen.

Better mp3 support: Its just using Midis is Kinda outdated while I still think we should Support Midis Id like to be able to add Mp3s or OOGS into projects without having to add them in the folder. 

This is just a Start I know there might be a thread like this but I wanted to bring this up to see what people think? Do you like my ideas or think they wouldn't work?

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

More items per Screen/Screen 80's: I would love to able to more more then one chest on a Screen and I want to able to set text items and guys on Warps rather then Screen.

Better mp3 support: Its just using Midis is Kinda outdated while I still think we should Support Midis Id like to be able to add Mp3s or OOGS into projects without having to add them in the folder. 

In response to these two, it is possible to have at least two items on one screen. There is a "Special Item" room type, and this item can be placed on the screen, in chests, or under an Armos, and there is also the regular screen item. However, as far as stuff like having multiple rupees on screen at init (like in ALttP), or having enemies drop multiple items would be a nice built in feature, but these can be done with scripts.

The second thing stems from the fact that ZC is quite old (maybe even ancient by computer standards), and back in the day, putting a large music file into the .qst would have made them absolutely huge, and hosting space was more scarce, and expensive back then. The average 1.90/ 1.92 quest rarely exceeds 500KB, and the average MP3 is about 4MB. In this day and age, it probably wouldn't matter as much if they were bundled considering some 2.5 quests exceed 5MB before downloading their music. There might also be legal concerns with the idea of the site hosting things that have potentially copyrighted music in them (as all extra music is currently hosted off site), but the irony is lost on me :P

• Local_Droog likes this

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

Before my response, please allow me to state something that may not be obvious to many of you:

I appreciate user suggestions, be they simple, complex, obtuse, obscene, or anything in-between. I take each request seriously, and I give each consideration. That does not mean that they will make it into the next version or two, but it does not preclude adding them, either.

Some of these are common requests, but that does not mean that they are not worth repeating. Ideally, I would prefer a 'Feature Requests' thread that is pinned, so that we can have all of this in a central location. If any of you want to see some of the present plans, please visit the Feature Requests board on AGN, under the ZC Development board.

While I would love to see a similar board here on Pure for the majority of the userbase to have, and in which they could participate, the decision was already made that ruled this out. If you are truly interested in making suggestions for future ZC/ZQuest versions, I invite you to participate on the AGN forums. THey are not the same place that they were in 2009, and most of the nonsense that happened eight years ago is long dead, and the users who made it an uncomfortable, or unwelcoming place, are all long-gone.

My status in the 2.60 project looms somewhere between a contributor, and a full-time developer. I'm not overly concerned about this status, but I want to clarify that I do not make the final-cut decisions for features. I merely try to implement them, and if they work, and the project leads do not raise objections, then they are pulled into mainstream ZC.

At present, I am effectively in charge of the planned 2.53 release, which is a final cut for 2.50.x, and I routinely contribute to 2.60.

So this is mostly a "What new things do they hope they add" Kinda thing, I want people to give out ideas I have a few mostly stuff I could see helping people in making quests,  

Smooth scrolling : I know im beating a dead horse as this is ZC's #1 most-requested feature but It really should be added. Ive even ideas of making d-map screens connected (like how you make a map on the Dmap Screen)  So you set Screens to use Smooth Scrolling rather then block .(Like in ALTTP)[/background]

D-Map/Map Size : While the  16x8 maps are nice Id like to make them bigger rather then making multiple  maps just have one big one.  Maybe have a maximum of 100x100 or something like that.

Better Item/Enemy Editors: Pretty much want to be able to make bosses and be able to have more customabilty for items maybe add more items like the Ice Rod 

(Emphasis, mine.)

This one is partly done. The new weapon editor, and the updates to the enemy editor, should satisfy most, but perhaps we will manage to get weapon and npc scripts working in 2.60. That would be the ideal solution.

I will be working on ice lweapons in the near future. Ice weapons, are in fact, at the top of my agenda, following the weapons class refactoring. I am uncertain how I would make enemy ice weapons function; meaning that I do not know what the effects of these would, or should be, but I do have a plan for Link's ice weapons that should work rather well.

The new weapon editor controls allow changing the weapon and base defence properties for most items that create weapons, and I plan to add in a Generic Projectile class item type, so that making items such as the fire rod, ice rod, and similar, are easy to accomplish solely from the editor. Adding in secret combos for all of Link's weapons would follow these improvements.

I would ultimately like to create a 'Flag Editor', and I did the preliminary work on ZScript ComboData->, that, should things works as I anticipate, would substantially improve the viability of a flag editor in the future.

Better mp3 support: Its just using Midis is Kinda outdated while I still think we should Support Midis Id like to be able to add Mp3s or OOGS into projects without having to add them in the folder.

This is just a Start I know there might be a thread like this but I wanted to bring this up to see what people think? Do you like my ideas or think they wouldn't work?

(Emphasis, mine.)

I am not certain that the people who host quest databases would want embedded enhanced music in quests. As useful as it might be, it would probably preclude hosting quests on Pure, or ZC.com if the enhanced music files were embedded in the quest file.

These two aside, I have already considered adding multiple screen items, and I have given some thought to how to change screen dimensions, but the latter of these two would be to create smaller (GB) screens, not larger screens. Rewriting how maps work is a far more arduous task than most of you want to imagine. Adding additional '0x80' screens is out of the question. Those are nearly a dead commodity, and largely exist for 1.90 through 2.10 quest compatibility. .

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 08 July 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• Anthus and Local_Droog like this

#4 Local_Droog

Local_Droog

• Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

Before my response, please allow me to state something that may not be obvious to many of you:

I appreciate user suggestions, be they simple, complex, obtuse, obscene, or anything in-between. I take each request seriously, and I give each consideration. That does not mean that they will make it into the next version or two, but it does not preclude adding them, either.

Some of these are common requests, but that does not mean that they are not worth repeating. Ideally, I would prefer a 'Feature Requests' thread that is pinned, so that we can have all of this in a central location. If any of you want to see some of the present plans, please visit the Feature Requests board on AGN, under the ZC Development board.

While I would love to see a similar board here on Pure for the majority of the userbase to have, and in which they could participate, the decision was already made that ruled this out. If you are truly interested in making suggestions for future ZC/ZQuest versions, I invite you to participate on the AGN forums. THey are not the same place that they were in 2009, and most of the nonsense that happened eight years ago is long dead, and the users who made it an uncomfortable, or unwelcoming place, are all long-gone.

My status in the 2.60 project looms somewhere between a contributor, and a full-time developer. I'm not overly concerned about this status, but I want to clarify that I do not make the final-cut decisions for features. I merely try to implement them, and if they work, and the project leads do not raise objections, then they are pulled into mainstream ZC.

At present, I am effectively in charge of the planned 2.53 release, which is a final cut for 2.50.x, and I routinely contribute to 2.60.

(Emphasis, mine.)

This one is partly done. The new weapon editor, and the updates to the enemy editor, should satisfy most, but perhaps we will manage to get weapon and npc scripts working in 2.60. That would be the ideal solution.

I will be working on ice lweapons in the near future. Ice weapons, are in fact, at the top of my agenda, following the weapons class refactoring. I am uncertain how I would make enemy ice weapons function; meaning that I do not know what the effects of these would, or should be, but I do have a plan for Link's ice weapons that should work rather well.

The new weapon editor controls allow changing the weapon and base defence properties for most items that create weapons, and I plan to add in a Generic Projectile class item type, so that making items such as the fire rod, ice rod, and similar, are easy to accomplish solely from the editor. Adding in secret combos for all of Link's weapons would follow these improvements.

I would ultimately like to create a 'Flag Editor', and I did the preliminary work on ZScript ComboData->, that, should things works as I anticipate, would substantially improve the viability of a flag editor in the future.

(Emphasis, mine.)

I am not certain that the people who host quest databases would want embedded enhanced music in quests. As useful as it might be, it would probably preclude hosting quests on Pure, or ZC.com if the enhanced music files were embedded in the quest file.

These two aside, I have already considered adding multiple screen items, and I have given some thought to how to change screen dimensions, but the latter of these two would be to create smaller (GB) screens, not larger screens. Rewriting how maps work is a far more arduous task than most of you want to imagine. Adding additional '0x80' screens is out of the question. Those are nearly a dead commodity, and largely exist for 1.90 through 2.10 quest compatibility. .

Ah good to know though with larger Screens the idea I had was to not make a larger screens but gives you the ability to connect Screens with smooth Scrolling to give the illusion of one large Screen

Also another Idea give the Ability to make custom markers for the compass maybe a misc tile or something and you can decide what Screens there on? That way you could have boss and chest Markers. While im not one to want to add stuff that can be scripted some things I feel just should be (Im thinking things like jumping off cliffs (like in LA) And the Compass Key Sound (Also LA)  I like to give you ideas so I can also here why some might not be good to add/ Too hard since I love to learns the ins and outs of how far Zquest can be pushed...

(PS) Maybe the Cliff jumping could be a tile type? That when you move past it it plays the jump animation and pushes you to the next walkable space? Going above any other tiles.

#5 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:31 PM

Allow us to immediately see FFCs that use an invisible combo (in ZQuest). A simple square outline would be good. It would be even better if the FFC script attached to them was also displayed. I often use invisible FFCs, and this would make it much easier to copy/paste them between different screens, as well as make it easier to quickly edit their data with a right click.

• Local_Droog likes this

#6 Zagut

Zagut

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

Dark Rooms like the Dark Room scripts we see in a number of quests.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

I would wish to be able to make combos that were 50% unwalkable (split diagonally down the center). And more tile pages.

Allow us to immediately see FFCs that use an invisible combo (in ZQuest). A simple square outline would be good. It would be even better if the FFC script attached to them was also displayed. I often use invisible FFCs, and this would make it much easier to copy/paste them between different screens, as well as make it easier to quickly edit their data with a right click.

I prefer not to click on FFCs because I accidentally drag them off their location. I place them via X and Y and try to never click on them.

Edited by Cukeman, 26 July 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

This seems reasonable. I may be able to add a menu options to show ffc outlines. That won't be in 2.53.0, but it might be in 2.54 or 2.60. Bounding them so that you do not accidentally drag them offs-creen would also be a good menu option.

#9 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Dunno how doable, but this is just a wishlist so...

I would like a "No Link" flag. I would use it to keep Link out of certain water tiles (I don't want those tiles to be unwalkable because that would mess up the enemy situated there).

#10 Eggman666

Eggman666

• Members

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

If this is at all possible. An extra 2 layers. One overhead and one main layer. Also if this is possible? Could there be an option for layer flickering/transparency flickering with different speed settings? I know this can be achieved using 2 layers and animation, switching from blank vice versa. Would save time is all. Thank you. :P

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

In the DMap settings you can disable items on that DMap.

An extra layer of usefulness would be disabling items per screen in the Screen Data.

One example of what this could do is make multiple Ocarina songs possible without scripting.

EDIT: This is probably much easier in FFC format. How stupid of me.

Edited by Cukeman, 03 January 2018 - 03:07 AM.

• Shane likes this

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

In the DMap settings you can disable items on that DMap.
An extra layer of usefulness would be disabling items per screen in the Screen Data.
One example of what this could do is make multiple Ocarina songs possible without scripting.

EDIT: This is probably much easier in FFC format. How stupid of me.

This is not a terrible idea. I'm planning to port some screen-only settings to a whole-dmap variation (e.g., layer 3 is background; sideview gravity), so porting a few dmap options to screens is not entirely outside the realm of reason.

#13 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

How about some more key options? Something like where you could edit what level a key is for, and what key level a lockblock is?

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

I would wish to be able to make combos that were 50% unwalkable (split diagonally down the center).

I second this.

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

The ability to set Link's minimap marker and DMap title for a specific screen in Screen Data.

EDIT:

The ability to set a string without a guy.

Edited by Cukeman, 09 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zquest, Ideas, Concepts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users