Photo

Screenshot of the Week 368

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 368 (53 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Its not the background that's the problem. You're not using the side tiles correctly. It's like a mix between them. It doesn't work.

#17 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(Nolornbon @ May 28 2012, 05:57 PM) View Post

I got the idea from the fan game Mushroom Kingdom Fusion (the realistic background originated from an image I took with my own camera.) I felt that doing something like that would make the dungeon I am working on more memorable.

Would the background be better if it had more color? Would the dungeon's structural elements be better if they were colored grey or brown? As for perspective; if I had to draw tons of new tiles, the dungeon would take quite a while to complete. icon_worried.gif

What if I had used the Dance Of Remembrance tileset instead? Would realistic backgrounds go well with it? I would think so.

I actually think it's a really cool concept. Jared nailed it though; the background provides more of a side-scrolling feel while the rest of the tiles cater more to the Zelda view that we're all used to. You might be able to rip some of the "underground dungeon" tiles from the GBC tileset, since those are side-scrolling areas, if you don't want to create your own tiles.

#18 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ May 28 2012, 05:03 PM) View Post

What exactly do you mean by "variation"? Serious question, not a snide remark.

Real mountains aren't really in straight lines. Not to put Dragonite on the spot, but his entry this week as an easily accessible example. Look at the way his mountains curve. They don't really stay straight for more than a few tiles. That's not to say there can't be exceptions, but having the mountains vary in shape makes a screen more interesting. As far as the water goes, try adding some of the water detail tiles (I don't know what else to call them; the lily pads, etc). That should spice things up nicely. icon_smile.gif

#19 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for your feedback guys! The village design has been completed and most of your feedback is taken into consideration. icon_smile.gif

--

Dragonite
The colours feel balanced and the design is top notch, but my gripe is the river; I swear it looks like a dried out creek to me. 8/10

Hergiswi
Captures the GB feel very well. Not entirely sure if GB had ever used the waterfall like that, it kinda screams perspective clash. 7.5/10

Marco
Nice, love your design with side-view graphics. But the outside area could use some foliage sticking out. 7.5/10

Artistic
Nice, love the river and use of graphics. But the thing that really bugs me is that the green-brown mountains, fuzzy styled big trees, and brown outline tiles clash the rest of the screen and how there is barely any room to walk with. 5.5/10

Nolornbon
Perspective clashes is the main issue here, but the concept and tiles are nice. But I feel the DoR-styled main character clashes with the classic tiles. 6/10

QUOTE(Mister Snooze @ May 29 2012, 12:59 AM) View Post

it wasn't just 'copy and paste'.

Technically mine, Marco's and Nolornbon's isn't either since they use custom tiles. But I still disagree; just because same graphics don't mean it's not original.

Edited by Shane, 29 May 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#20 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

I voted for Mighty_Morphin_Power_Shane. I like the pathway a lot.

#21 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ May 29 2012, 08:59 PM) View Post

I voted for Mighty_Morphin_Power_Shane. I like the pathway a lot.

Thank you Powerful_Bacon_God_Dawnlight. icon_lol.gif

#22 MasterPlayer2342

MasterPlayer2342

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Shane I don't know I just like it the best.

#23 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Shane, that's space thar. Plants don't grow in it, from my latest science text book's knowledge.

#24 tox_von

tox_von

Zelda Addict

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

voted for shane. brilliant colors this week.

Is there a prieview download of it yet?

Edited by tox_von, 29 May 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#25 Mister Snooze

Mister Snooze

Paladin

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Shane @ May 29 2012, 04:34 AM) View Post

Thanks for your feedback guys! The village design has been completed and most of your feedback is taken into consideration. icon_smile.gif
--

Technically mine, Marco's and Nolornbon's isn't either since they use custom tiles. But I still disagree; just because same graphics don't mean it's not original.

Seems I was wrong about that and I did like yours very much. It was a hard decision this week. The competition was fierce and I liked a lot of the ideas.

#26 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ May 28 2012, 02:03 PM) View Post

Fair enough. That's the border color in Oracle of Seasons, which is sort of what I'm modeling my quest after, so I just just chose that one.

I submitted a shot using the same tileset and palette and received the same feedback a (long) while back. I know you're going for a OoS look but I still think the colors clash. As for the rest of the screen, the mountains and the grass especially looks too blocky to look natural. Try removing some of those straight edges. Maybe fill some of the barren edges of the screen with a few trees.
I do like what's going on in the water though. The only problem with that is that the left side of the waterfall doesn't use tiles that indicate an increase in altitude, but I didn't even notice that at first.

#27 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(Red Phazon @ May 29 2012, 07:39 PM) View Post

I submitted a shot using the same tileset and palette and received the same feedback a (long) while back. I know you're going for a OoS look but I still think the colors clash. As for the rest of the screen, the mountains and the grass especially looks too blocky to look natural. Try removing some of those straight edges. Maybe fill some of the barren edges of the screen with a few trees.
I do like what's going on in the water though. The only problem with that is that the left side of the waterfall doesn't use tiles that indicate an increase in altitude, but I didn't even notice that at first.

You know, I actually hadn't noticed that either. That's a great point, as well as the bit about clashing. Thanks for the advice!

#28 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Marco)

Shane, that's space thar. Plants don't grow in it, from my latest science text book's knowledge.

A) Earth is in space.
B) Alien video games are based on fictional characters so fictional environments and nature could suffice.
C) Maybe rocks then.

icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(tox_von)

voted for shane. brilliant colors this week.

Is there a prieview download of it yet?

Thanks! As for a demo, no, no demo available just yet. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Mister Snooze)

Seems I was wrong about that and I did like yours very much. It was a hard decision this week. The competition was fierce and I liked a lot of the ideas

Thanks! Yeah tough competition, but that's what makes SotW fun. icon_biggrin.gif

#29 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

I voted Marco because HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG METROID

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Dragonite:
A very simple screen, but it is clean, detailed, and satisfying. You used a variety of tiles among what you have available (I assume this is PTUX, perhaps with a modified palette), and even though there is nothing happening on this screen and Link is practically hiding, I appreciate that you took a ZC player shot. The subscreen adds to it, and it shows off a nice item sprite, if only just the one.

Hergiswi:
This is all right, but a little too boxy. My eyes are also a little confused by the waterfall. Is that water sitting on top of a raised area, or is the rock portion simply a wall or a dike separating you from a lake?...

I'm curious what the half-submerged Armos is doing. Some kind of interesting obstacle or new enemy?

Marco:
Ahh, another one of your nice Metroid screens. I always have a hard time trying to decide whether to vote for these, because the tiles look fantastic, but as in cases like this one, it is merely a whole bunch of boxes, pipes, etc. being used to construct a solid area. In other words, your graphics are excellent, but the skill that goes into the actual screen design is very basic, even though that's all the quest requires. This time I decided to go with a different shot.

Shane:
Very nice. icon_smile.gif You've taken a nice mixture f tiles from diffferent tilesets and put them all together in a very correctly-designed screen. (Now, I DO wonder whether it's possible to fit between the brush and the mountain on the left to access the west side warp, but I'm not going to split hairs.)

No subscreen or enemies, but due to everything else coming together so nicely, I like it quite a bit.

Artistic:
While I really like the organic feel of the river and its riverbank, I feel this screen is too crammed with stuff. It really should be two screens: one for the cottage and one for the river. NES mountains tend to look squished if they are too narrow on the vertical.

Nolornbon:
Heyy, nice; this reminds me of some of those old NES action/adveture platformers... though I think I might be specifically thinking of just one game: Legacy of the Wizard. Basically, games with a 1x1 tile player character, that used the tiny size of the character to faciliate extremely complex labyrinths.

The only suggestion I have is to not use the main characters name multiple times in the subscreen. Why not leave "Nikki" off the passive subscreen where it is now, and instead specify "Nikki" somewhere in the active subscreen? Simply noting "HP" and "MP" should be fine.

Unless you count the above, I have nothing negative whatsoever to say about this screen. At least one other screen was more impressive, but yours has done quite well. I'm a little confused how the platform jumping works here, but I bet it becomes more apparent while playing the quest.

...So! Shane gets my vote this time. Good job everybody. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users