Anyone Buying Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Well I've been thinking about it for awhile now. I've read that Windows 8 Will have a pretty good deal going on with its price.
If I heard right it'll be $39.99 for a Upgrade Disk. So If that's true I might pick one up to have it. I might give in and give it a try.

I'm sure Maybe one day I might get used to its crappy interface.

So anyone picking one up when it comes out in stores on the 26th?

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'll pick one up. Then, when I get home, I'm going to crush it and sacrifice it to the goddess of Windows 7, praying that she continues to bless Windows 7 with official support for years to come.

In all seriousness, no. Windows 8 is pretty much the worse thing to happen to the PC in recent history, and I'll have nothing to do with it. Once Windows 7 support runs out, I'll switch over to Linux. And I'm not coming back to Windows until Microsoft pulls their heads out of their asses and makes another good OS.

#3 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

I thought about doing that... But with sacrificing 8 to Windows Vista icon_razz.gif.
I've had to much trouble with Windows 7 lately to say its a good OS anymore. Right now my crappy Windows Vista works 100% better then 7 does.

With 7 I've had some major Start up issues lately. where it would just freeze up at the Windows is starting Boot screen.
I've tried diagnosing what the problem was, but to no avail I couldn't find anything wrong icon_neutral.gif

But right now though, I'll say I'm starting to like Windows 8 a tiny bit. at least it'll start up. unlike Windows 7.

#4 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

No.

They'd have to pay me to use it.

#5 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm actually really liking the way Windows 8 is turning out. Did Microsoft make a few missteps when making it? Yes, I'll admit that they did. But the whole mentality of it is really awesome, and I find most of peoples' complaints about Windows 8 either fall into the category of personal preference, inability to adapt (or effort to try), or under this old desire of mocking Microsoft/Windows.

I just love the ability to swap between a working desktop environment and a tablet, and from everything I've seen, Windows 8 works really well for that. The "metro" interface seems pretty useful for quick information if using a tablet, but if I'm in a desktop environment, I won't be seeing it that much (I don't tend to go into the start menu much anyway). It's supposedly a lot faster, runs games better, and just seems really nice overall. There's a reason why quite a few reviews are popping up raving about it (once the reviewers get away from the incorrect idea that Windows 8 is somehow bad for business).

Edit: That being said, I actually won't be getting it any time soon. I just don't have a need to, and I won't be buying a new computer any time soon.

#6 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(LTM)
It's supposedly a lot faster, runs games better

I can say that it does. I've been triple booting it with Windows Vista Windows 7. and out of all of them Windows 8 does run faster and it runs games some what better.
I will say its not that bad really.

#7 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

I definitely will not be using Windows 8. I have a lot of personal problems with Microsoft and their product support/customer service, but I also don't think that they're going in the right direction at all with their clunky, overbearing interface. I see no improvement over Windows 7.

#8 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

I might pirate it since if it's apparently something I should get if I'm a software developer which is something I'm trying to start learning.

But no, I wouldn't buy it.

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE(Vinyl Scratch @ Oct 24 2012, 02:16 PM) View Post

I might pirate it since if it's apparently something I should get if I'm a software developer which is something I'm trying to start learning.

If you want to be a software designer, it would be a nice start to show some respect to the system. Those that came before you and whatnot. It could very well after all be your software that winds up on ThePirateBay some day...

As for me, I think I'll pass on Windows 8...Windows has been heading downhill since vista apparently and I like Windows 7 just fine so I don't think I'll downgrade just yet...

#10 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Hergiswi @ Oct 23 2012, 10:26 PM) View Post

I have a lot of personal problems with Microsoft and their product support/customer service,

Actually I've never had any issues with their support.... Well you can ignore what I said. I don't even use their support.
I support myself icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(Vinyl Scratch @ Oct 24 2012, 03:16 PM) View Post

Pirating is always an option... But if you ever feel guilty for doing it. that'd be your down fall icon_razz.gif
And I wish you luck on learning to be a software developer icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 24 2012, 05:56 PM) View Post

If you want to be a software designer, it would be a nice start to show some respect to the system. Those that came before you and whatnot. It could very well after all be your software that winds up on ThePirateBay some day...

Quoted for truth.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Oct 24 2012, 05:56 PM) View Post

As for me, I think I'll pass on Windows 8...Windows has been heading downhill since vista apparently and I like Windows 7 just fine so I don't think I'll downgrade just yet...

Man so far a lot people I know is doing the same thing and passing on it. (Well I might have to as well. If I don't have to funds before this weekend <,<).

I don't see why there is so much hate on Windows Vista though... I thought it was a pretty good OS. Windows 7 I can't says it is good yet, I yet to have a working install of it.
That lasted more then a week....

Edited by Ventus, 24 October 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Oct 24 2012, 05:12 PM) View Post

I don't see why there is so much hate on Windows Vista though... I thought it was a pretty good OS. Windows 7 I can't says it is good yet, I yet to have a working install of it.
That lasted more then a week....

I actually liked Vista a lot too. But, from what I understand, it was initially very, very bad, and a post-release service pack fixed most of the biggies. I have to admit that Windows 7 is much better though (aside from the new taskbar I'm not a huge fan of, though that can be fixed with a bit of effort). Is your computer just not good enough to handle 7?

#12 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 24 2012, 07:43 PM) View Post

I actually liked Vista a lot too. But, from what I understand, it was initially very, very bad, and a post-release service pack fixed most of the biggies. I have to admit that Windows 7 is much better though (aside from the new taskbar I'm not a huge fan of, though that can be fixed with a bit of effort).

I love Vista Except for its habit of managing Ram is quite annoying. The New task bar on seven wasn't really that bad. It was a bit annoying to get used at first. Kinda how like how Windows 8 was to me for the first time.

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 24 2012, 07:43 PM) View Post

Is your computer just not good enough to handle 7?

My computer is more then enough to run Windows 7. I'm running a-
AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.4Ghz
2GB of Ram
Two 80 GB hard drives
The Video card is a ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB.

Now the computer runs Windows 7 just as good as Windows Vista. but for some retarded reason Windows 7 keeps having some Booting issues I can't fix.

I've tried any times and I can't diagnose the issue.

#13 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

I will not be picking up Windows 8. Mainly because I don't have the money to do it, and I am still enjoying Windows 7. (I just bought a new pc with it installed 2 months ago) So I really don't see a reason why I would would need to a pick up a new OS when the one I am using is perfect for my needs. Especially since Windows 8 sounds like it's doing terrible.

#14 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

From what I've seen of Windows 8, I'm not impressed. The interface looks like junk, and it's heavily tablet-based.

I'll stick with Windows 7 and Mint for now.

#15 Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa

We are the champions

• Members

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yeah seriously. Please keep the tablet interface for the tablets. I'll just stick to XP for now unless I find a way to snatch and multiboot W7.

Edited by Lemmy Koopa, 25 October 2012 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users