Need an opinion on these palettes...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

Hey there guys. I've been working on new season palettes for my tileset, and I would like an opinion on them, (especially the spring one since I think it's too bright...) Also, ignore the tile errors for now:

zelda004_zps3b5078d2.png

You know it's autumn baby ;)

zelda005_zps84a4ce53.png

Spring???

zelda006_zps1a662676.png

Sexy summer based on the Oracle of Seasons!

What do you guys think? :D

#2 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:19 AM

Overall, nicely done!   :D

-Autumn-  I'm not certain about the rock colors, particularly looking at the rock wall next to the grass on top.  Something... doesn't sit well with me.  It's possibly that they are a little pale. ... Maybe it's that the lightest color for the rock looks the same as the lightest color for the trees/grass.

Try choosing a darker/more-brown color for the lightest color in the trees/grass; it kinda' contrasts in the treetops.

-Spring-  The contrast between the lightest green and the color next to it (in the trees/grass/bushes) is too high; it doesn't blend well.  Try lightening those darker greens so that they're not so far from the hue in the brightest green.

-Summer-  Overall, this looks great! :)  ... The only reservation I have is that it seems just a tad bit dark for what I would think of as summer ( = "sunny").  (At least, I would think that spring & summer are supposed to be bright & sunny.)  Then again, I haven't played any of the Oracle games, so if that's how they looked in OoS, then great job! :D

• Demonlink likes this

#3 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32 AM

The summer palette is too dark.

#4 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

I agree with the others here; the trees on the spring palette should be brighter. Also, the entire summer palette should be a but brighter too. The autumn one looks really good, in my opinion. :D

By the way, where's the winter palette? :P
  • Demonlink likes this

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Okay, taking in mind what you guys said:

zelda014_zps28708899.png

The treetops are now a darker orange than the original "peach" color.

zelda015_zps8dbbbb25.png

Still don't know if I nailed the spring look...

zelda013_zpsa1dd6727.png

Because David made me show the winter palette XD

I am happy with the Summer palette, reminds me of OoS ^_^. However, what do you guys think of my few adjustments?

• strike and Lightwulf like this

#6 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

These look better now. I also really like the winter one as well. :D

#7 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

In my opinion, the summer and spring palettes should probably be switched, but that's not a big problem.  One of the things that bugs me about the winter palette that has also happened in Animal Crossing is that only the grass has snow on it.  I don't know if this could be fixed with palettes but since I live in an area of the country where it snows every year, it just looks kind of strange.

#8 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

These look better now. I also really like the winter one as well. :D

Thanks man! I'll add them to the main file :D

In my opinion, the summer and spring palettes should probably be switched, but that's not a big problem.  One of the things that bugs me about the winter palette that has also happened in Animal Crossing is that only the grass has snow on it.  I don't know if this could be fixed with palettes but since I live in an area of the country where it snows every year, it just looks kind of strange.

Hmmmm, not sure about the spring and summer since both were based on the OoS (You know, that's why summer is darker :P ) And the snow palette, what do you mean that only the grass has snow on it? :confused:

#9 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that the roads have no snow on them.
  • Demonlink likes this

#10 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

The Fall/Autumn one's rocks are too bright IMO. The other two look fine to me, but then again, I'm not really the most qualified to speak. Regardless, great palettes. 9/10

• Demonlink likes this

#11 Xenix

Xenix

Well excuse me princess.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

The spring palette needs to have some work on the grass colors. Less neon; more bright water colors. Maybe make them a light green with a hint of red and blue.

• Demonlink likes this

#12 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

You're right that the palettes are consistent with OoS, but I always thought it was really strange that they made the summer palette darker than the spring one, especially since they made it darker by adding yellow which is, in my opinion, a spring color.  Also, anikom15 was right about what I meant.  Whenever video games do that with snow it just doesn't look right to me.

• Demonlink likes this

#13 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

... And the snow palette, what do you mean that only the grass has snow on it? :confused:

Well, one thing I noticed is that, side-by-side (or the vertical version of that saying, whatever it is), it's quite easy to notice that the areas with snow (for the most part) coincide with the areas of grass in the other pictures.  The only exception is on top of the hill; there's snow over the road there.  Because of this view, comparing the same screen in different seasons, that's why people would make that comparison.

It would be nice, though, if there were some tiles that varied from the regular snow tiles to look like road covered with snow.  That would at least provide some variance.

However, then again, if the snow is deeper than just a light covering, you can't really tell the difference between road and grass, so you could just put snow covering all of the ground over the whole screen and it would be more realistic.

• Demonlink likes this

#14 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:25 PM

Okay, quick response to Grantgreif and Lightwulf, I thought of adding extra tiles as well, but since I don't know in hell to sprite (but I'm kinda getting the basics), I haven't done so, in order to not commit style clashing :lol:

As for RedmageAdam:

The Fall/Autumn one's rocks are too bright IMO. The other two look fine to me, but then again, I'm not really the most qualified to speak. Regardless, great palettes. 9/10

zelda019_zps539829e2.png

The rocks are a bit darker with a golden touch :O

The spring palette needs to have some work on the grass colors. Less neon; more bright water colors. Maybe make them a light green with a hint of red and blue.

zelda018_zpsee0030be.png

Not sure if I did what you meant, but the grass details are a bit more noticeable than back then. :D

As for everybody, I whipped up this other palette, titled "Wild Jungle":

zelda020_zps30714af4.png

I think I did a pretty good job for a first try on this one! :D

Opinions? Thoughts? Critics? Tips?

Edited by Demonlink, 23 April 2014 - 10:26 PM.

• strike likes this

#15 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

For the autumn palette, I think it would look a bit better if the dirt/mountains were a bit darker. Not a lot, doesn't need a drastic change. The dirt just doesn't quite look right to me.

As for the new spring palette, I very much dislike the extremely bright greens. The difference between the base color and the highlights is almost un-noticable. As previously stated, instead of making the greens brighter, give them a bit of contrast, and I'd recommend giving them a touch of blue or red. Not much, just enough to make a slight change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users