Photo

Undecided about which tileset to use...

Help Tileset Quest Design

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Undecided about which tileset to use...

Which tileset do you prefer to see in a new quest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:39 PM

Classic/Instrumentally/enhanced classic/Koten - There are good things about these tilesets, especially Kohs Link Sprites and the simplicity, but a lot of Tiles look just ugly as hell (excluding Koten) and the colours are just soo... I made only 5 Dungeonscreens in Koten in over 10 hours and still cannot stand the way they look...

Dunno if this would help in any way, but FYS could be a cool tileset to try out too. It's a graphical improvement over Classic and looks better than all the other Classic-like tilesets IMO. It's also pretty easy to use and everything looks pretty good with each other.

#17 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Bad to finally hear more concrete info about the hiatus...

I actually don't understand much about colours, there are pretty often statements about bad choosen palettes for EGZGB, DoR, Firebird in the screenshot challenges I can't understand while colours in classic screens are praised again without seeing what is so good about them... Though it clearly absorbs a lot if time to use more detailed tilesets, I have bigger problems with the simple Koten-Set, since it is so much harder making interesting screens without overfilling it with tiles and colours (big respect for everyone able to do so on ease). So maybe a few tips for making simple screens look good ?

The FYS-Tileset sure looks interesting, but speaking about colours it is certainly not mine. BTW actually trying to finish the 1st quest for the 7th (?) time and I finally seem to gain a little understanding of the game. Also playing Amy Rose 1st and think it is a lot easier compared to classic 1st... Also I have not much love fore the so praised hookshot-series (mostly since I am just not a good player) and classic-tileset just might be nothing for me, but I still try ;)

Hear it here and there, but what is Z3-Scrolling?

Do you have tips for creating dungeons/ow's in the different tilesets? I am still playing around and not even sure if I should draw a rough sketch for the layout or continue to just do it randomly. I actually am still working with Koten since this is perfect for using as few layers as possible. (And it is also fun to try to make a classic-type dungeon while having not finished even one NES-like game so far)
  • Demonlink likes this

#18 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Bad to finally hear more concrete info about the hiatus...

I actually don't understand much about colours, there are pretty often statements about bad choosen palettes for EGZGB, DoR, Firebird in the screenshot challenges I can't understand while colours in classic screens are praised again without seeing what is so good about them... Though it clearly absorbs a lot if time to use more detailed tilesets, I have bigger problems with the simple Koten-Set, since it is so much harder making interesting screens without overfilling it with tiles and colours (big respect for everyone able to do so on ease). So maybe a few tips for making simple screens look good ?

The palettes in the EZGBZ set are actually different from the original GBC games. In a few words, they're more painful to the eye due to that they're brighter and stronger compared to the original colors. That's why the default ones suck. :lol: As for bad chosen palettes and such, that's only personal opinions, but a quick tip, make sure the palette you choose has a bit of "logic" as to why you are using it. A quick example: say you were to design a graveyard area. A bad chosen palette would be a happy and colorful one, wouldn't it? I would go for gloomy and spooky colors that blend in with the atmosphere of a specific area. :) For more tips, I suggest you read Shane's Post about some helpful rules he follows when doing screen design. :)

Hear it here and there, but what is Z3-Scrolling?

WHY U DON'T KNOW ABOUT Z3 SCROLLING!? Er, ummm, I mean, remember A Link to the Past? Z3 scrolling is a bit hard to explain what it is, but to sum it up in a few words, it's a feature introduced in ALttP, where big areas can be designed without having to rely on a "set screen border". The screen moves along with you... crap, I dunno how to explain it. XD Look at the video of this (sadly) cancelled quest project by Sheik: Mirror of the Moon. See how Link doesn't transition from one screen to another? That's Z3 scrolling, and so far, this was the only quest to actually pull off this feature (since rumor has it it's hard as hell to implement it without changing ZC's engine).

• Naru likes this

#19 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Its so long, since I played alttp, I think skyward sword is the last game I played. So amazing too have a bunch of zelda games unplayed for the future :)

I actually started with firebird and imported DoR-tiles to it. I wonder, the Death-Animation in Firebird looks nice, but 8bit tiles are not affected... also, can I mess up cset 6 for the link sprite or is it needed orherwise?
  • Anthus likes this

#20 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:42 AM

Its so long, since I played alttp, I think skyward sword is the last game I played. So amazing too have a bunch of zelda games unplayed for the future :)

I actually started with firebird and imported DoR-tiles to it. I wonder, the Death-Animation in Firebird looks nice, but 8bit tiles are not affected... also, can I mess up cset 6 for the link sprite or is it needed orherwise?

C-set 6 is also used for some items, such as the arrow, bow, and lv.1 boomerrang, and enemies like pol's voice, and like-like by default. You can edit it, but just be sure to include colors for other items/ enemies, unless you plan on changing their colors anyway. Extra Sprite Palette 9 (Quest-> Graphics-> Palettes-> Sprites-> 1, c-set 9) has a copy of the default cset 6 (at least in Classic) so check there, and if there is a back up, you can copy that over your main cset 6 if you mess it up.

If you want to change Link's colors, I recommend finding all items, and enemies that use cset 6, and change them to something else. Then, you can mess with Link's colors. Also, you'll want to keep certain colors consistent with Extra Sprite Palettes 6, 7, and 8 as these are the colors for Link's other Rings (blue, red, and gold respectively). What I mean is, you want his skin, and hair colors to remain the same, if you chang the colors of the tunic/ add/ move colors.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: If you don't know, you can change the colors of items and enemies by going to them ("Items", or "Enemies") under the 'Ques't menu. Select the item or enemy, and go to 'Edit'. Here, you can choose a tile, and c-set from the main palette by pressing "+" or "-" while on the tile-select screen. Under 'Enemies', you will see "Old" and "New". This determines the tile, and c-set from the main palette used depending on if the rule "Use New Enemy Tiles" under "Quest-> Rules-> Enemies" is checked. You shouldn't have to mess with the animation tiles if you are using a pre-made set like firebird. Just use "+" and "-" to change the cset. For Items, you go to the 'GFX' tab in the item editing window. Here you can also choose the tile, and cset from the main palette to use for the item. Make them not c-set 6, if you want to fully edit c-set 6 (Link's cset).

#21 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

I really have to learn to be more direct about my problems, but there still where a few new iformations good to know.

If in Firebird you go down the tiles change to yellow/red, but 8-bit tiles are not effcted. Simplified it is like a black screen where only the 8-bit tiles remain and this looks just horrible. I wonder if there is a way to solve this.

It is good to know I have to look for other items only if I mess up cset 6.

Stating my use of DoR with Firebird was a indirect question about your opinion of mixing these tilesets. Since I have not an eye for such things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Tileset, Quest Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users