Photo

Undecided about which tileset to use...

Help Tileset Quest Design

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Undecided about which tileset to use...

Which tileset do you prefer to see in a new quest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

So, for those of you that responded and saw my last topic yesterday night, I am planning to release a surprise quest for the Expo. The thing is, I am undecided (like always :P ) about which tileset to use. Here are some shots of my canceled projects, and would like you guys to help me decide please :D (Also ignore the ZQuest Editor part, too lazy to shoot them in ZC :P )

DoR:

zelda007_zps0517a65a.pngzelda009_zps3fb97490.png

zelda008_zps51c81816.png

EZGBZ:

zelda011_zpsd0226553.png

zelda012_zpsacc33cfb.png

zelda010_zps403d544d.png

From my point of view, I'm a badass I know how to create a proper screen, mostly basic, but yeah. That is why I'm undecided!!!! So, any thoughts? I wish there was a combination tileset of both tilesets!!!!

#2 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

In my opinion, you seem to make better screens with DoR. So I'd say DoR is the tileset you should choose. :)

Edited by DaviAwesome, 24 December 2013 - 03:21 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#3 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for telling me man! (Like you always do ;) )

• David likes this

#4 LTTP

LTTP

LTTP

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

DoR will take lots more effort!
I like DoR alot so i vote for that!

• Demonlink likes this

#5 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

DoR will take lots more effort!
I like DoR alot so i vote for that!

Thanks LTTP! :D

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hmm, hard decision there. All the screenshots are looking extremely good, but if I had to choose between one of these tileset, I'd go for ..... Pure Remembrance! :D (I voted for other)

I could imagine quite some good screens from you in Pure Remembrance. But if I really had to choose between one of these tileset I'd go for DoR.

• Demonlink likes this

#7 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hmm, hard decision there. All the screenshots are looking extremely good, but if I had to choose between one of these tileset, I'd go for ..... Pure Remembrance! :D (I voted for other)

I could imagine quite some good screens from you in Pure Remembrance. But if I really had to choose between one of these tileset I'd go for DoR.

I was thinking the same dude... now you made me doubt :P

#8 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Pure Remembrance is essentially a GB/DoR mixup, sort of. I say try that!

• Demonlink likes this

#9 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Pure Remembrance is essentially a GB/DoR mixup, sort of. I say try that!

I say thanks for that tip man! :D

#10 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

You can get plenty more beautiful screens with the DoR tileset, so I say go for that.

#11 runaru

runaru

:3

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him, They / Them

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'd say go with DoR :) but all of your screen look beautiful :)
  • Demonlink likes this

#12 Mr. Sqweakers The Great

Mr. Sqweakers The Great

Look beyond the Sqweaky Horizon.

• Members

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

I would suggest EZGBZ Tileset. It most of the Oracle Game tiles along with Link's Awakening tiles which is also nice.

#13 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

I'd recommend checking the dates on threads before posting in them. There isn't a rule against grave digging, but I'm sure Demonlink has long since decided which tileset to use in the two years that this thread has been up. :)
  • Demonlink likes this

#14 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:28 AM

Since the topic-title kind of fits, I have similiar problems. I am not to much into Forum-Checking/ZC/pure community and don't get a lot (like if I read about something in a topic and the spelling indicates clearly something is well known but even google cannot help me. Last time was something about an infamous stair bug in passageways or so?) Anyway, hope you have tips for me.

EZGBZ - Even excellent filled screens (eg Isle of Rebirth) look just too big for this tileset, also I would prefer waiting for the Oracle-Project.

DoR/PR - They look great, but often the styles do not fit too well together (honestly, the newest Link-Sprite is made very well, but it looks kind of metallic and does fit not the slightest bit to the other NPCs.) and it is not soo easy to overwork screens with many layers/details afterwards. Since I am still creating my first quest I fear starting with this tileset would be too much for me.

Firebird - My favourite tileset, but unfinished (especially NPCs) and the last I did read about it was something like this tileset was abondened... I actually started a Quest and after I finally had a little run, I realized the missing NPCs.

Classic/Instrumentally/enhanced classic/Koten - There are good things about these tilesets, especially Kohs Link Sprites and the simplicity, but a lot of Tiles look just ugly as hell (excluding Koten) and the colours are just soo... I made only 5 Dungeonscreens in Koten in over 10 hours and still cannot stand the way they look...
  • Demonlink likes this

#15 Demonlink

Demonlink

• Members

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:16 PM

Since the topic-title kind of fits, I have similiar problems. I am not to much into Forum-Checking/ZC/pure community and don't get a lot (like if I read about something in a topic and the spelling indicates clearly something is well known but even google cannot help me. Last time was something about an infamous stair bug in passageways or so?) Anyway, hope you have tips for me.

EZGBZ - Even excellent filled screens (eg Isle of Rebirth) look just too big for this tileset, also I would prefer waiting for the Oracle-Project.

DoR/PR - They look great, but often the styles do not fit too well together (honestly, the newest Link-Sprite is made very well, but it looks kind of metallic and does fit not the slightest bit to the other NPCs.) and it is not soo easy to overwork screens with many layers/details afterwards. Since I am still creating my first quest I fear starting with this tileset would be too much for me.

Firebird - My favourite tileset, but unfinished (especially NPCs) and the last I did read about it was something like this tileset was abondened... I actually started a Quest and after I finally had a little run, I realized the missing NPCs.

Classic/Instrumentally/enhanced classic/Koten - There are good things about these tilesets, especially Kohs Link Sprites and the simplicity, but a lot of Tiles look just ugly as hell (excluding Koten) and the colours are just soo... I made only 5 Dungeonscreens in Koten in over 10 hours and still cannot stand the way they look...

EZGBZ: It's actually fun to play with, but you can struggle with it in the beginning if you're not used to being creative with the variety of tiles it offers.

DoR/PR: This would be an excellent tileset to work with if Z3 scrolling were available, but sometimes screens get cluttered due to how big some objects are (houses, 4x4 trees, and especially the LttP mountains, even if they're simplified).

Firebird: The most perfect set, yet, it's on undecided hiatus (shit). :lol:

Classic and Koten: Can build screens in a matter of minute, and they're simple enough for small quests. DragonDePlatino did an excellent job reworking the classic set into Koten, and he used a palette structure similar to EZGBZ's, in the way that any combo in any CSet looks good enough. Koten is much prettier than classic BTW.

With my experience on all of these sets, EZGBZ, Firebird and classic sets are your best shot. DoR can still be awesome, but trust me, it can be tedious work sometimes. :P

• Naru likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, Tileset, Quest Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users