Photo

My first quest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

Poll: Does this quest look any good? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

If I were to finish this quest, would you bother to play it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 7 2010, 11:43 AM) View Post

I definitely get your point about custom bosses, however, with some proper use of freeform combos, custom bosses can be just as hard. I'm thinking that I'll have powered up versions of the old bosses for levels 1-8 and a surprise custom boss at the end. That way I can satisfy both sides.

Oh, for sure in that sense. icon_smile.gif I was more referring to the old-school style stuff, but with the newer features, you can do some pretty nifty stuff that would have been too painstaking or even outright impossible before. Not saying they're bad, they're just not my cup of tea is all.

#17 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:56 PM

On custom bosses...

Good custom bosses are always a treat. But, just changing some attributes or the environment of a boss fight can be good too. Even recoloring or editing the tiles shows some effort and makes things at least a tiny bit more interesting, and a tiny bit matters.

If your boss is Ghoma for instance, you could give her a purple eye and white shell and throw in some arrow blocking pillars so that you have time your shots perfectly. Throw in some Darknuts with your Dodongos. Or some horizontal traps near Gleeok's heads.

This is probably pretty obvious...but a empty room with a boss like the original LoZ would be disappointing.

#18 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

IPB Image
Earlier, it was suggested that the Blue Forest have the grass recolored to be a lighter shade of blue. Here's what I have currently. Does this look any better?

#19 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

Much better. I can actually see the trees now.

#20 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 7 2010, 07:51 PM) View Post

IPB Image
Earlier, it was suggested that the Blue Forest have the grass recolored to be a lighter shade of blue. Here's what I have currently. Does this look any better?

That looks...let me calculate...about...um...1000 times better.

You chose good blues for the grass.

Edited by Jupiter, 07 April 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#21 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

Level 3 is finished and I am currently starting Level 4. In level 4, I'm using some new techniques such as:
•Combo cycling floors
•More intricate use of secret combos
•Being able to see the floor below you in some areas
•Damaging water (I don't believe I've seen anyone do that before)

For enemies, I'm thinking of putting some of those 2.5 enemy editor tricks to use and having enemies that can only be damaged by the candle.

I just realized now that I almost made the hookshot this level's item icon_razz.gif silly me!

As usual, here's a screenie:
IPB Image

Comment please.

As a special extra, here's a screenshot of World 4
IPB Image
The Master Sword just out of reach...It mocks you...

EDIT: Yes, the master sword is in World 4, however, you can't get it until World 8. I just put it there to mock you. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 09 April 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:05 PM

I was wondering if since I changed the blue woods grass' palette if I should change the normal grass' palette?
Heres what I have at the moment:
Old:
IPB Image
New:
IPB Image

Which do you think I should use?

#23 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

Yes, go with the change...the grass in the top shot has the lack of contrast problem you had with the blue woods. The bottom shot is really good.

Also, I am assuming that Ghoma is a cave entrance...very cool idea. I think the shape of the entrance looks a little weird though...maybe get rid of those corners? I don't know, it's not bad, just a thought.

Your other shots look pretty good too. Good work!

Edited by Jupiter, 10 April 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#24 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

Wow, this actually looks like one of the better quests made with the classic tile set. I'm impressed.

I'm mainly commenting for two reasons:
1. I'm a fellow Mac user, so I'm glad that I'll be able to play a quest on a build that I know will work.
2. I had had that same rupee idea long ago, but never followed up on it, so I hope to see it work.

Also, in the first screen of level 4, the "seeing into the floor below' is inconsistent. There should be a row of brick in between the doorways, so that the room below still has the top of the door. I'm also curious, what do you mean by damaging water? Water damages you by default in 2.5 if you don't have the flippers.

#25 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Apr 10 2010, 10:37 PM) View Post

I'm also curious, what do you mean by damaging water? Water damages you by default in 2.5 if you don't have the flippers.

Really? This never happens in any of the quests I've played, or the one I'm building (in 2.5).

#26 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 10 2010, 10:53 PM) View Post

Really? This never happens in any of the quests I've played, or the one I'm building (in 2.5).

Huh. Which build are you using? As of 1101, it happens by default. At least, it does for me. Link takes a quarter heart of damage and warps back to where he entered the screen. I'm positive I didn't set or add anything for that to happen, as well.

#27 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

In 2.5 theres a quest rule saying (Link drowns in walkable water.) tick it and make the water you want walkable. We're speaking of topic here lets get back on. I haven't played a joke quest a while it looks really good the ghoma entrance thing looks awesome!

I used to have the idea of the damageable water so time ago icon_heh.gif.

#28 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 10 2010, 08:30 PM) View Post

Also, I am assuming that Ghoma is a cave entrance...very cool idea. I think the shape of the entrance looks a little weird though...maybe get rid of those corners? I don't know, it's not bad, just a thought.

About the shape: blame the designers. It's part of the classic tileset, I didn't make it, but I'll edit it since I agree that it looks odd.

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Apr 10 2010, 09:37 PM) View Post

Also, in the first screen of level 4, the "seeing into the floor below' is inconsistent. There should be a row of brick in between the doorways, so that the room below still has the top of the door. I'm also curious, what do you mean by damaging water? Water damages you by default in 2.5 if you don't have the flippers.

I understand about this inconsistency, however, I'm going to keep it in because otherwise there wouldn't be enough floor space on the bottom floor.

As for the damaging water, I've overlayed damage combos over the water so it damages you WHILE SWIMMING. This has produced a few problems of not being able to enter the water because it pushes you back, so I've made it so the water around edges is safe. (I'll have to find some way to explain that I guess)

===================================================================

Currently, the enemy set up is: Ice octorok (same stats as octorok, but acts like a rope and emits fire upon death), Ice moblin (mobin stats, rope walk style, fire on death), Ice moldorm (faster version of moldorm), Ice wizzrobe (normal teleporting wizzrobe, but weaker and very hard to see), Keese, bat

All the ice versions of enemies are weak to fire, take 1/2 damage from arrows, and take 1/4 damage from the sword.

I'm thinking the boss will be an ordinary 3 or 4 headed gleeok...

Here's the image URL for the support banner I made for my quest (in case anybody wants it):
http://img251.images...pportbanner.gif

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 11 April 2010 - 01:31 PM.

#29 lightdark

lightdark

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Id keep going. Dont give just because It's not that good. It's your first quest. Just do better on your next quest.icon_wink.gif

#30 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

Out of curiosity, what type of quests do you prefer, Lightdark? Storyline based, traditional classic, BS style?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users