Photo

My first quest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

Poll: Does this quest look any good? (83 member(s) have cast votes)

If I were to finish this quest, would you bother to play it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I've been working on my first quest and am wondering if I should continue. Since my previous attempts resulted in me giving up because of lack of storyline creativity, I decided to go with a joke quest. If I were to finish this quest, would anyone bother to play it?

Screenshots:
IPB Image
This shop is the center of the game. The hookshot is needed to reach the final level.
IPB Image
Yes, I know a blue forest has been done before (Ibuprofin), but I just loved the idea so much that I had to use it.
IPB Image
The first dungeon (each dungeon has 100 rupees at the end instead of a triforce piece)
IPB Image
World 2: the badly named forest
IPB Image
Dungeon 2: Teh anshint pyramid
IPB Image
An island. 'Nuff said.
IPB Image
Level 3 (about as far as I've gotten)

P.S. I made the tileset myself, so don't bother looking for it.

#2 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:31 PM

I like classic quests and to be honest, I don't quite have the bother to dive into a extensive story and read countless screens of dialogues, everyone knows what Zelda is all about so the primary thing that I look for are good dungeons and good game-flow, the story could of course be of some interest, but from my perspective, its not a main topic. Bring it on. ^__^

Btw, the last overworld screens reminds me of "armageddon" or what was the quest's name (it was bundled with ZC in the early 00's)

Edited by cosmofield, 06 April 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#3 Yapollo

Yapollo

To Discover

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

It looks like you are off to a strong start. I must agree that I will also consider a quest a good quest even if it has little or no storyline as long as it makes me think. The one thing I would like to see is less abbreviations and proper spelling; I enjoy being to understand what the text is saying without a lot of thought.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Looks great. I love the graphics, and the idea of a joke quest, But if you get 100 ruppees at the end of each level, and buy the hookshot for 800 to reach level 9, then can't you just fight tons of enemies to get money and cheat your way into level 9?

#5 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:14 PM

Keep working!

I nulled my vote, because (a) I don't play many quests, just ones that really intrigue me and (b) I think by the time you're done it's going to be looking much better so it's hard to say...

You're off to a strong start, and a classic quest is always welcome.

Your second to last and third to last shots look great, imo. Really neat looking stuff.

To be honest, I think your blue forest has some big problems. There is nothing wrong with a blue forest, heck. A blue forest sounds really cool to me...but you can't see a thing in that shot...you need more contrast, try using a different color of blue for the trees and grass...or don't use blue for the grass maybe?

Keep going though, I think you're going to put together a nice little first quest.

#6 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

@Cosmofield: I believe you are referring to the Demo quest. I have been trying to reproduce the tileset used there to the best of my ability as the Demo tileset is a filetype incompatible with the version I am using.

@Yapollo: I will try to make the text as readable as possible (|\|() '|'/-\|_|<||\|G |_|3|< '|'|-||S), however,at least at some points there will be l33tsp33k and typos (I will try to keep this to a minimum).

@Russ: Because I am a Mac user, I can justify using 2.5 for a quest that normally wouldn't need it. Because of this, I have edited the enemy drop sets to not drop rupees. This brings up the problem that everything must be free. In early areas, I'll cut the player some slack for the first few levels and just give it away, but later on, I'm planning on making them solve puzzles and fight enemies to reach the freebie shops.

@Jupiter: Thank you for your input. I agree that the blue forest is a bit of an eyesore in its current state. To be honest, when I recolored that grass, I was not intending for that palette, so it's a bit...off. I'm not sure if I should remove the blue grass, modify the palette so it fit better, or simply nuke the whole place and make it just an ordinary forest...

The overall vibe I'm getting here is that my quest is strong in some places and weak in others. The strings need to be refined to be something that sets this quest apart from Ibuprofin and I Hate Mayonnaise, and some areas need to be tweaked some more. Thank you for your positive feedback and constructive criticism.

#7 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 6 2010, 10:45 PM) View Post

@Jupiter: Thank you for your input. I agree that the blue forest is a bit of an eyesore in its current state. To be honest, when I recolored that grass, I was not intending for that palette, so it's a bit...off. I'm not sure if I should remove the blue grass, modify the palette so it fit better, or simply nuke the whole place and make it just an ordinary forest...

I find that I have to play with things a lot until I am happy with them...but I wouldn't go ordinary. Ordinary has, definitionally, been don before.

Try pale blue grass...I am imagining it being a little greyish. But again, it'll depend on your eye...

#8 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

The original LOZ had no story line, and look how far it has come.
build it and they will come.

#9 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

You're last screenie looks sexy.

Keep it up, I'm bored and wanna play a joke quest.

#10 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:40 AM

I wouldn't but that's just 'cause I don't really like joke quests. The screens look good, though. Although, the forest doesn't really look like a blue forest at first glance, more a big block of blue with some black and grey lines in it.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 6 2010, 09:51 PM) View Post

I find that I have to play with things a lot until I am happy with them...but I wouldn't go ordinary. Ordinary has, definitionally, been don before.

Try pale blue grass...I am imagining it being a little greyish. But again, it'll depend on your eye...

I like the idea of the grass being a lighter shade of blue, but I feel that changing that (or anything for that matter) will require a change of midi. I used the Zeal midi from Chrono Trigger for the blue forest, but I feel that that music fits the current style better. If I were to change the grass color to a lighter shade, what midi would you recommend?

Also from test playing, I am finding level 2 to be a bit too challenging... The current enemies are (bats, keese, vires, gibdos, wallmasters, and floormasters (a custom enemy I made that can only be hit from the front and release a ring of fire upon death). I could weaken the gibdos to make them less of a threat, but the biggest problem is oddly, the floormasters (I made them really weak, but their fire is hard to dodge and without the sword beam, they are annoying to kill). Any suggestions?

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Apr 6 2010, 11:04 PM) View Post

You're last screenie looks sexy.

Thank you. I've worked really hard on dungeon 3's palette. Originally it was too dark, so I had to tweak it multiple times to fit with the water theme.

EDIT: Would people prefer custom bosses, or are the normal zelda 1 bosses fine?

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 07 April 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#12 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

I don't think you have to justify using 2.5, a lot of people do nowadays.

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 7 2010, 05:50 AM) View Post
The original LOZ had no story line, and look how far it has come.
build it and they will come.

Hey, that's not fair! Haven't you read the game manual? =P

#13 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 7 2010, 08:12 AM) View Post

Custom, definitely. The normal bosses are overused so much, even horrible custom bosses are better than the default Zelda 1 bosses.

#14 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Looks fairly good. I think I'd play it. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 7 2010, 09:12 AM) View Post

Honestly, I'd prefer the normal Zelda 1 bosses. Since you're using the betas, you can give them a little extra oomph, but personally, I find that custom bosses can be way too easy and are more like a puzzle fighting back than an actual boss battle. Of course, there are some excellent examples of this not being done, but that's the feeling I get a fair chunk of the time. Plus, I don't like the predictability that comes with most of them, since once you know it's pattern, it's really easy since it doesn't change.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Apr 7 2010, 11:11 AM) View Post

Looks fairly good. I think I'd play it. icon_smile.gif
Honestly, I'd prefer the normal Zelda 1 bosses. Since you're using the betas, you can give them a little extra oomph, but personally, I find that custom bosses can be way too easy and are more like a puzzle fighting back than an actual boss battle. Of course, there are some excellent examples of this not being done, but that's the feeling I get a fair chunk of the time. Plus, I don't like the predictability that comes with most of them, since once you know it's pattern, it's really easy since it doesn't change.

I definitely get your point about custom bosses, however, with some proper use of freeform combos, custom bosses can be just as hard. I'm thinking that I'll have powered up versions of the old bosses for levels 1-8 and a surprise custom boss at the end. That way I can satisfy both sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users