Important information inside!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:41 PM

No... that was one of the first things I wrote when writing this thing icon_razz.gif

#17 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

I can't help but see a striking resemblance between your 3rd bad example screen and another from a PureZC user...
IPB ImageIPB Image
Perhaps just exaggerated slightly.icon_shrug.gif

#18 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:31 PM

So I wasn't the only one that saw what he did thar. icon_rolleyes.gif

#19 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

If anything, I think that particular screen is a good example of what not to do when presented with a generic "walk-through screen." The screen on the right in jimmyb's post appears to be specifically meant to blockade. So it's fine. The screen on the left does not blockade. The fences should be removed, likely.

#20 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:07 AM

It is not the same screen, though.

#21 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

I can't help but see a striking resemblance between your 3rd bad example screen and another from a PureZC user...
example3bad.pngzelda001.png
Perhaps just exaggerated slightly.icon_shrug.gif

Yeah I did that because the other screen was terrible, and when I asked the owner if I could use it he tried to throw a fish at me. I don't know why, I told him I didn't eat fish, what am I to do with the dead body of some creature that lives underwater? Seriously, if anyone can explain this please send me a PM, this has become one of the bigger mysteries of my life. Maybe it's some cultural thing...

Anyways, so after he threw the fish, I picked it up and gave it back because again, I had no use for it. He promptly thanked me, gave me a hug and whispered in my ear: "don't use my screen son, make your own. That is the key to my heart!". And that is the moment I fell in love. I now adore fish.

Edited by Robin, 26 October 2015 - 11:30 PM.

#22 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

You'd think a person could sum it up with; "make screen pretty and functional".
  • Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#23 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Lemon @ Dec 13 2009, 05:09 PM) [snapback]617479
You'd think a person could sum it up with; "make screen pretty and functional".

Oh wow, I never thought of it that way. I already sold the rights to this thing to Cornelius though, otherwise I would have just borrowed your line because I like that a lot better. Thanks anyway! By the way, while I've got you here, any chance I could convince you to buy some iphones? It's legal, I promise.

Edited by Robin, 26 October 2015 - 10:56 PM.

#24 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:27 AM

You could do a world of good if you make example screenshots from other tilesets. Such as Classic, Pure, GB, and BS. Maaaybe Adventure if you're brave enough.

Do two of each, one dungeon and one overworld. It'd be good for others to see some more of the good, the bad, and the ugly. But, so we don't cause any bad blood between members, don't base your "bad/ugly" screens off of other's work.

#25 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Alestance @ Dec 13 2009, 05:27 PM) View Post

You could do a world of good if you make example screenshots from other tilesets. Such as Classic, Pure, GB, and BS. Maaaybe Adventure if you're brave enough.

Do two of each, one dungeon and one overworld. It'd be good for others to see some more of the good, the bad, and the ugly. But, so we don't cause any bad blood between members, don't base your "bad/ugly" screens off of other's work.

We have DoR and GB so far. I think you are right that it'll be good to have other tilesets, too, but I also think that other screensdesigners could contribute, too, if they feel like. Look, while I may be good with GB, I may suck with DoR, that's why I don't make example screens with it. There are designers out here that are considered masters of some tilesets (for example: Dawnlight with Pure, Radien with his DoR, Migo too...). I think they would create the best example screens for the tileset they use so I don't feel like doing that myself. My two cents.
Maybe linking the SotW-Archive could solve this 'problem', too. Well, actually, everyone knows (or should at least) that the SotW-Archive exists...
However, I am surprised how many members think that dungeon design is so much different from overworld design. I mean, it is screendesign after all. Well, it's still being discussed wether or not inculding a tiny little paragragraph about dungeon design. We'll see what future will bring.

#26 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:33 PM

Well, I think there are some slight but worthy differences between overworld and dungeon designs. With an overworld, there is often an intent to try to imitate how nature likes to have things, or even how nature made it followed by how man messed it up. Dungeons, on the other hand, are often completely man-made (or whatever other being makes dungeons). After all, man and nature have different ways of putting things together.

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

True. For example, in overworld shots, you really don't want symmetry, whereas in dungeons, sometimes symmetry helps shows that it's man made. In my opinion, making an overworld screen is completely different from making a dungeon screen.

#28 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

^This.

And I also support the "example shots in even more tilesets" idea.

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

Public Service Announcement: The space lizards have long since invaded our planet and taken control of our government. Keep your children safe, follow the no child left behind policy and everything will be good - also make sure not to get eaten by one of their dinomechs. Don't stand still, that's a myth they have eyes you idiot.

Edited by Robin, 26 October 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#30 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Update: I sold the rights to this thread to Cornelius, as I hinted to a few posts ago. I believe this will be better for all of us, because I no longer have to sell completely legal iphones and now I can retire to invest all of my time into making The Hylian Phoenix, the forest quest with the best shade of green the world of Zelda Classic has ever seen!

While I'm at it, I'll use this time to announce the cancellation of my quest, The Hylian Phoenix. I am going to the Bahamas, see you around fellas (assuming you're going to the Bahamas as well).

Edited by Robin, 26 October 2015 - 11:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users