Important information inside!

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

This thread is pinned. That indicates a level of importance above most other topics.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, please share with friends and family.

- Cornelius

Edited by Robin, 10 October 2015 - 01:54 PM.

• Shane and coolgamer012345 like this

#2 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

Dang, this was really informative. icon_smile.gif Excellent for newer users who need a hand, and good for oldbies who want some extra tips and what not.

Excellent work, both Migokalle and Sheik. icon_smile.gif

Perhaps some parts on dungeon screen design, since designing dungeons screens (at least, for me) is different than designing overworlds? I dunno, I'm just shooting ideas.
  • Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Dec 11 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post

Dang, this was really informative. icon_smile.gif Excellent for newer users who need a hand, and good for oldbies who want some extra tips and what not.

Excellent work, both Migokalle and Sheik. icon_smile.gif

Perhaps some parts on dungeon screen design, since designing dungeons screens (at least, for me) is different than designing overworlds? I dunno, I'm just shooting ideas.

Thank you.
Well, if you want some dungeon screens than I'll make one or two and send Migo some notes so he can convert those into text for the ... guide?

#4 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Great job, you guys. This is informative, accurate, useful, and well-written. Hopefully people will learn from this and create more appealing quests in the future.

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

@Blaman, all of this applies to dungeon design too, so there's no need for that icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone icon_razz.gif

#6 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

This is an excellent tutorial with a lot of excellent points. Even though it's very basic and I probably won't need to use it, I can see many others finding this very helpful. Great job on this Migo and Shiek. =)

Edited by ZebraStallion, 11 December 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#7 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

This should be pinned.

Really excellent job, Migokalle and Sheik.

#8 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Ah, I see what you mean, Migo. Fair enough. icon_smile.gif

#9 Zenith

Zenith

Old Guard

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Nice. Good stuff for the new guys to know. Your first "fixed" shot does feel a little too open, though...

And you wouldn't mind showing us where you got those forest overhang tiles, would ya? icon_rolleyes.gif

Edited by Zenith, 11 December 2009 - 05:56 PM.

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(nicklegends @ Dec 11 2009, 06:56 PM) View Post

Great job, you guys. This is informative, accurate, useful, and well-written. Hopefully people will learn from this and create more appealing quests in the future.

Yes. Hopefully.

QUOTE(Blaman @ Dec 11 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Ah, I see what you mean, Migo. Fair enough. icon_smile.gif

Well, I think you have a point there actually. I was asked numerous times how to actually build dungeons. I,myself think it's basically the same as building overworlds, but this does not seems to be consens.
However, I build two screens and wrote some notes, PM'd it to Migo. We'll see if he thinks it's needed or not. If the paragraph isn't making it into the guide, I can PM it to you, though.

And again, thanks for the feedback.

#11 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

Excellent tutorial guys, hopefully this will help people design their quests better and make sotw a little more interesting. I certainly hope you guys work on a dungeon version as well as dungeon screens are really difficult to design well, for me at least.

#12 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

Another tip I always use that is prevalent in almost every single quest I've ever made is this:
Always fill in the corners! Have some solid object, be it a house, rock, tree line, wall, etc. fill in the four corners of each screen. It provides a sense of closure to a screen and rounds it out a bit more. This also applies to free form dungeons.

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

Hey, if we can have a pinned topic on subscreens, why can't we have one on the broader topic of screen design? Pinned for justice!

I think this is really good advice, and can clearly be expanded on, since you have a plethora of great screen designers here to contribute their angle to it, as fantastic as it is already.

#14 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 12 2009, 01:21 AM) View Post
Another tip I always use that is prevalent in almost every single quest I've ever made is this:
Always fill in the corners! Have some solid object, be it a house, rock, tree line, wall, etc. fill in the four corners of each screen. It provides a sense of closure to a screen and rounds it out a bit more. This also applies to free form dungeons.
Did you read the topic? icon_razz.gif It's in there...

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear you all like it icon_smile.gif

#15 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Probably added in quickly after my post! icon_lol.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users