Photo

Ideas for Scripted Items (not how to script them but design ideas)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 idontknow8

idontknow8

Senior

• Members

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:50 AM

I need some ideas for the following scripted items:

1) Dominion Rod - I have a fully function Dominion Rod that I tweaked a bit from the one in the script database.  Mine actually has it where a dominion statue only walks while Link is walking (and in the same direction of course) BUT the statue also slashes (well, stabs) a sword every time player presses the item button (doesn't matter whether it's assigned to A or B, it using corresponding button).  Link however, does NOT use a sword (or other weapon) but does do the attack animation (again, with no weapon in hand). When you press the opposite item button, it cancels the statue's movement.  This essentially allows Link to have a far-away sword-wielding statue attack & kill enemies and activate sword triggers.

What I guess I'm looking for is what objects should such a statue be able to destroy that Link couldn't - if any - and instead of just basic sword stab, should the statue have a different-looking weapon? (thought about giving it a hammer with an overhead, pound animation but I think this would be a bit more complicated to script & I'll also have the hammer in the quest so it's not like it'd be that much different).  Also, what type of puzzles might you have for such an item?

2) I scripted a 'One Hit Obliterator' item - basically a giant sword Link slashes that instantly kills every enemy it contacts HOWEVER at the expense that Link also gets killed in just one hit (1HP, or a quarter of a heart).  It does not consume magic but no other item can be used when it's used.  Debating giving it a cool down & if so, not sure if should be after every single attack or after so many consecutive uses. So far I have it scripted so that it's about 30 frames before you can use it again...also don't know if it should have a projectile that it shoots (like as sword beam) but I feel that may make it too overpowered, more so than it already is.  I'm also thinking perhaps this will only be allowed in mini dungeons, as sword of a hack-and-slash enemy gauntlet where you have to take out large hordes of enemies in a series of rooms to reach end goal, which might result in a helpful but optional item (rupees, piece of heart, magic container, etc.).  The animation is fully scripted to replicate a sword slash  - because you can't actually create a sword lweapon at the moment, least not in the version I'm using. But it's quite boring.  Not sure if I should give the animation some sparkles or how else to make the Obliterator appear more powerful/menacing.

• Bagu likes this

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:45 PM

I need some ideas for the following scripted items:

1) Dominion Rod - I have a fully function Dominion Rod that I tweaked a bit from the one in the script database.  Mine actually has it where a dominion statue only walks while Link is walking (and in the same direction of course) BUT the statue also slashes (well, stabs) a sword every time player presses the item button (doesn't matter whether it's assigned to A or B, it using corresponding button).  Link however, does NOT use a sword (or other weapon) but does do the attack animation (again, with no weapon in hand). When you press the opposite item button, it cancels the statue's movement.  This essentially allows Link to have a far-away sword-wielding statue attack & kill enemies and activate sword triggers.

What I guess I'm looking for is what objects should such a statue be able to destroy that Link couldn't - if any - and instead of just basic sword stab, should the statue have a different-looking weapon? (thought about giving it a hammer with an overhead, pound animation but I think this would be a bit more complicated to script & I'll also have the hammer in the quest so it's not like it'd be that much different).  Also, what type of puzzles might you have for such an item?

A simple obvious one would simply be to have Link and the statue stand on specific button tiles to trigger a screen secret. You could scale this up by making it more separating the buttons more (e.g. if one button is on the left side of the room and the other is on the right, that becomes challenging when the movements are synced together).  This can be further complicated by making rooms where one configuration is impossible and forcing the player to figure that out to solve, or even puzzles with multiple dominion statues.

I feel like this could make for interesting encounter design with an enemy that can only be damaged by the statue, forcing Link to maneuver to avoid the enemy/projectiles while positioning the statue to hit the enemy. Alternatively, you could use the statue as a defensive object if it blocked projectiles.

2) I scripted a 'One Hit Obliterator' item - basically a giant sword Link slashes that instantly kills every enemy it contacts HOWEVER at the expense that Link also gets killed in just one hit (1HP, or a quarter of a heart).  It does not consume magic but no other item can be used when it's used.  Debating giving it a cool down & if so, not sure if should be after every single attack or after so many consecutive uses. So far I have it scripted so that it's about 30 frames before you can use it again...also don't know if it should have a projectile that it shoots (like as sword beam) but I feel that may make it too overpowered, more so than it already is.  I'm also thinking perhaps this will only be allowed in mini dungeons, as sword of a hack-and-slash enemy gauntlet where you have to take out large hordes of enemies in a series of rooms to reach end goal, which might result in a helpful but optional item (rupees, piece of heart, magic container, etc.).  The animation is fully scripted to replicate a sword slash  - because you can't actually create a sword lweapon at the moment, least not in the version I'm using. But it's quite boring.  Not sure if I should give the animation some sparkles or how else to make the Obliterator appear more powerful/menacing.

How long is the one-hit kill period?  Only during the sword swing?  I feel that other limitation effects could be more effective in balancing - for example, a significant direct HP cost is immediate and impactful.  If you combine this with a "no item drop" effect for enemies killed by it then it sort of becomes self-regulating and abuse is discouraged as you need to restore HP through avoiding use.  This is very dependent on area design in your quest though and how many healing sources are available.  It also rules it out as a last-resort option, since you have to be proactive about its use, so there's certainly an element of how you envision this feeling and being used for your design goals that needs to be considered.

Kinesthetics are tricky.  Without seeing it, I would suggest the following as sort of generic "punch-up" options to consider:

• Increase the wind-up / follow-through frames, decrease the mid-frames - A normal slash animation usually has three components - A) holding the sword to the side b) performing the slash (diagonal sword), and C) holding the sword to the front at the end of the slash.  By increasing the duration of A and C, you can create the effect of something that is so heavy that it takes time to start or a lot of time to recover from swinging.
  • Add motion - You could move Link back during the follow-through to give the effect that it's so powerful that it pushes you back - or you could have Link move forward with the slash to give the effect of a very forceful swing.  Both I could see working pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users