• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

I didn't see a thread for this, but if one already exists, I apologize.

So in yesterdays Nintendo Direct, it was announced that Super Smash Bros. was coming to the Switch. Not all that surprising on its own given how popular the series is, but we also got new characters in the Inklings from Splatoon to go along with it.

One thing that people seem divided on is whether or not it's a port. Personally, I think it's a completely new game, but what do you all think?

• Jared and SkyLizardGirl like this

#2 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

The fact that Link is using a new design as well as the fact the logo's a bit different, as well as the fact that it's not just called "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" makes me think it's a new entry. If it's an enhanced port of 4 with all of the content from 3DS and Wii U plus a lot of extras, I could be fine with that too.

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

It's a dull 30FPS spin off game, else why advertise a 60FPS game with 30FPS material?

/jest

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:11 AM

Mediocre Bash Siblings.

#5 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:59 AM

Current predictions so far, assuming that this is Smash 5 and not a deluxe edition of Smash 4.

Likely to join or return as a fighter

Ice Climbers
Decideye

Alm or Celica (or one of the lords of whatever Fire Emblem game is coming next)

Am interested in seeing them join in or return, but I am not counting on that happening:

Paper Mario. Provided he brings his own moveset.

Young Link. If he returns, he better be running a Majora's Mask-themed moveset instead of being a smaller, lighter Link like he was in Melee.

Lana

One of the other bounty hunters from the Metroid universe. Probably from either Prime 3 or Prime Hunters.

Star Wolf

Geno

Shovel Knight

Rayman

Who I hope gets cut or demoted from Smash 4:

Lucina -> Marth alt.

Dark Pit -> Pit alt

Dr. Mario -> Mario alt (on the same token, make Nurse Peach a Peach alt) or cut

Toon Link -> Cut, unless the new Link has a different moveset.

Roy -> Cut

Corrin -> Cut. As much as I would like them to get cut, I doubt they are getting cut because anyone from Fire Emblem: Fates seems to get a free pass from IntSys lately.

Bayonetta -> Cut

Edited by Orithan, 10 March 2018 - 08:00 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#6 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

If we're talking cuts...

Lucina > Marth alt

Dark Pit > Pit alt

Dr. Mario > Mario alt

Sheik > cut

Toon Link > cut

Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta > cut

As for characters I would like to see:

Paper Mario

Shantae or Shovel Knight

Bandanna Waddle Dee

Wolf

Pokemon Trainer (add Charizard back to it)

Ice Climbers

Snake

No Ridley

#7 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

I'm so excited!! Loving BoTW Link. :D

Oh also, it's already confirmed as the next entry in the series. It's being created by HAL Labratory again, apparently!

Edited by Jared, 10 March 2018 - 01:33 PM.

#8 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:36 PM

I'm intrigued to see how BotW Link will function in Smash. Moveset-wise, I think it will be very interesting. Additionally, I'm curious to see how they handle the Link clones.

I wonder if the port of Crash Bandicoot will open up the door for Crash to be a PC?

Personally, I would like to see Sheik and Zelda merged together again. Though I wonder if Zelda might also take on her Breath of the Wild design? I think a Tetra/Toon Zelda combo would be cool, but I feel like the opportunity has passed. As if we don't already have enough Zelda characters, the Hylian champions from BotW could make for some fun characters as well.

• Jared likes this

#9 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Adam, of course Zelda will take her BoTW design! That's just crazy to think she wouldn't. :P

#10 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

Adam, of course Zelda will take her BoTW design! That's just crazy to think she wouldn't. :P

Haha, I was very much just following my train of thought rather than expressing any sort of real doubt! It would be strange for her not to take her BotW design, but it'll be interesting to see what that means for her ties to Sheik and also what it means for her as a fighter.

• Jared likes this

#11 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

I'm intrigued to see how BotW Link will function in Smash. Moveset-wise, I think it will be very interesting. Additionally, I'm curious to see how they handle the Link clones.

I wonder if the port of Crash Bandicoot will open up the door for Crash to be a PC?

Personally, I would like to see Sheik and Zelda merged together again. Though I wonder if Zelda might also take on her Breath of the Wild design? I think a Tetra/Toon Zelda combo would be cool, but I feel like the opportunity has passed. As if we don't already have enough Zelda characters, the Hylian champions from BotW could make for some fun characters as well.

If Crash was a fighter; he would end up as being DLC. The Crash trilogy hasn't even launched on the Switch yet, so I would give it a good year after the game's launch before Crash gets a chance to become a fighter.

I would expect the champions' powers to be part of Link's moveset similar to how Shulk has his Monado artes in Smash 4; either that or as an Assist Trophy.

#12 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:40 AM

Despite Link using his BotW design now, I can't see them changing up his moveset TOO much. It's pretty iconic.

• Jared likes this

#13 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

I doubt they'd actually do this, but they could have botw Link be a different costume, and give him slightly different moves. I can see them using the champions abilities too, or at least using Revali's Gale, and Daruk's protection.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

I'm skeptical about different costumes having different movesets. In Smash 4, they explained how they went out of their way to ensure that all costumes had the same movesets, and that if they wanted to give a costume slightly different moves, they simply made it into a clone character instead (as happened with Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario). Those moves could be alternate moves, if that mechanic sticks around though.

I imagine BotW Link is simply going to be the new default Link costume. Smash 64 and Melee both used OoT Link as their model for him, while Brawl used TP Link and 4 used SS Link. The trend is just to model Link after his appearance in the most recent game Adult Link appeared in. Wouldn't surprise me if the older design were an alt costume though.

As for cuts... I imagine they'll happen, but I don't see why people are hoping for them. Why on earth should more characters be a bad thing? With that said, I doubt Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit are being cut, specifically because they're clone characters and thus take almost no work. I think the characters at biggest risk of getting the axe are third party characters (such as Ryu or Cloud), other DLC characters (such as Lucas or Corrin), and characters such as Shulk or Robin, who were included because they were the protagonists of their home series' most recent title, but have since been made less relevant by newer titles being release.

Unfortunately, if all those categories got the axe, that would cut just about every character I main save for Ness. :(
  • Adem, Jared and Yloh like this

#15 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Bring in Solaire so we can Praise the Sun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users