Metroid: Samus Returns

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Yo SLG: You should maybe use spoiler tags? Not everyone's going to know (or want to be spoiled) about the new stuff that was added for the remake itself.

[spoiler]text[/spoiler]

#92 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Yo SLG: You should maybe use spoiler tags? Not everyone's going to know (or want to be spoiled) about the new stuff that was added for the remake itself.

[spoiler]text[/spoiler]

There i fixed it.*

Oi

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 18 September 2017 - 01:01 PM.

#93 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:51 PM

Hm, there's also Super Mario Bros. DX for the GameBoy Color, and a remake of Kirby's Adventure for the GBA called Nightmare in Dreamland which are both made by Nintendo. EDIT: There's also a remake of Kirby: Super Star for the DS.

You're forgetting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Pokken Tournament DX, Super Mario Maker 3DS, Hyrule Warriors Legends, LTTP + Four Swords, and all of the NES Ports on GBA. They aren't exactly light in the ports/remakes/remasters.

Kirby's developed by Hal, (kind of like how Game Freak develops Pokemon) I wouldn't call ports remakes or upgrades, then you'd have to include the GCN releases of OoT and every Virtual Console game, and those are still the original versions.

But I don't want to derail this thread with lists

#94 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I know the boss you're talking about here, it hits really hard even through the upgraded suit's damage reduction.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I dunno what's going on with these spoiler tags, sorry.

#95 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Well I finally bought this today. Looking forward to it, when I get some free time. Had to pick it up on a day family came over...

• Jared likes this

#96 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

Nine hours, ten minutes, fifteen seconds. That's my final time for this game that I highly enjoyed. The 360-degree aiming and melee attacks were integrated quite well into the game and, after getting used to them, they complemented the gameplay of Metroid. I'll admit some of the melee counters for bosses could feel a bit automatic, but I appreciate that it still required good timing on your part to even execute them. Plus, they're completely optional (to my knowledge), so they're not intrusive.

It may be a more linear Metroid experience, but it still provided some open-ended opportunities within each sector at points. I had feared that the 2.5D would make tells for hidden pathways more obvious, but this wasn't the case. ... entirely. I could spot pathways hidden in the background at times, but I still had to search for the proper block to get into them. Admittedly, at first I thought the Scan Pulse item neutered exploration a bit, but in the end I found it not really any more broken than the X-ray visor in Super Metroid. Technically this one's more limited, since it takes power from a gauge. The only real disparity is that you get it much earlier than the X-ray visor, so you can complain about that, or just not use it.

The Aeion powers are neat, and I like how they were actually integrated into the gameplay instead of being shoehorned bonus items that did nothing. In fact, I'm a big fan of how this is basically a completely new experience from Metroid 2 and not just a retread with prettier graphics. I'm also a big fan of how they give some of your inventory additional uses so that they don't become completely invalidated just because you pick up something better later.

If there are any downfalls to this game, it's lacking in enemy variety and boss battles against Metroids get really repetitive really fast, at least for the earlier evolutions. However, these encounters are a lot more involved than they were in the original game and actually involve strategy! It's just... well, it's easy to get bored by the encounters when they show up over and over. However, the handful of unique bosses in the game are well-done and some are among the series' best.

If you like Metroid, you should play this game, but you probably already have by now since it's been out since September 2017. This was a great experience and gives me hope for the future of Metroid for the first time since Prime 3.

• Anthus, Eddy, Avaro and 2 others like this

#97 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

Man you’ve already beaten it? I got it launch day and I’m still stuck!

#98 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I know my Metroid... sort of. Where are you stuck at?

#99 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

I've started a Hard Mode run. Wanted to try it out, wanted to re-experience the game, and an endgame spoiler reason...

Spoiler

I've also learned a neat new trick: Using the ice beam on enemies then meleeing them one-shots many of them. Nice.

• Neppy and Anthus like this

#100 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

I never really posted my thoughts on this game as a whole. 

I remember liking it, except for one boss. Sadly, I don't really remember much of the actual game though. I remember feeling like all the areas kind of blended together. I mean, they look different, but the design of the levels is pretty consistent throughout. AM2R kind of had this problem too, but it had some memorable set pieces like the water plant area, and the giant chozo statue holding up the planet.

I did not like how every time you enter a room with lava it started blasting Lower Norfair music. I like that song and all, and maybe it's just me, but it's a bit played out at this point, imo. This is an incredible minor gripe, and borderline nitpicking. :P

The Aeon abilities where cool too. I usually don't like when sequels drastically change long-standing systems, but this was done well enough. Scan pulse in particular, but they could have made a less grating sound for when breakable blocks are in the room.

I'm not really a fan of the Metroid fights. Not cause they're bad, but because they start to feel samey really fast. Then there are those Zetas that like to make you go to multiple rooms, no thanks.

I have to be perfectly honest here though. I liked AM2R better. Perhaps I should play this again, as I only beat it once, and have beat AM2R three or four times, so I might be biased.

One more thing. This isn't really directed at this game in particular, but I don't really like the whole "it's a side scroller but it's 3D woooo". There can be spatial awareness issues with platform edges. Cave Story 3D had this problem too, and I kind of steer away from the 3DS Sonic games cause the forced 2D looks so unnatural in a 3D space. Samus Returns does it well enough to not be a huge bother, but I generally like my side scrollers to be 2D art. One advantage it does have though, is it allows you to have things like Samus aiming in any direction, which was a great touch.

Samus was very fun to control in general as well, but I really missed the instant morph ball button. I know you can tap the screen, but still.

#101 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:09 AM

I suppose I can agree with the sameyness a bit. And yeah, the repetitiveness of the boss fights was another flaw I had, as well as low enemy variety in general. However, I still highly enjoy this game, especially now that I've just 100%'d hard mode. One other minor complaint I'll spoiler just in case...

Spoiler

But I had trouble putting this game down in both playthroughs. It's that fun, it's that good of a Metroid game. Or game in general. Bravo to Sakamoto and MercurySteam, who I at first didn't trust to do pull this off due to Other M for Sakamoto and... basically anything MercurySteam has touched. But they both brought their best talent and made an awesome game that I'm glad we got. Hopefully the future of Metroid is bright starting with this one.

• Anthus likes this

#102 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

I can see them making more 2D Metroid games, especially given the little thingy that happens at the end. I mentioned it earlier, in a spoiler box, but,

Major End Game Spoiler, must clear in under 4 hours to see (which I did on my first time)

Edit: on that note though, AM2R's message at the end hit me right in the feels. I'm surprised they didn't do this for the official game.

https://youtu.be/8VR...ga0yPmAE?t=641 Another time stamp.

Also, does anyone else find it odd that in Metroid Fusion, Samus' suit is said to fuse with her organic tissue, yet when she dies, the suit flies off, to reveal normal skin, and an under-suit-bra-shorts thingy?

#103 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:45 PM

You don't need to clear the game in four hours to see that. I took nine hours both runs and saw it.

Spoiler

• Anthus likes this

#104 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

AM2R is still getting updates, just not by the original developer. Check the Reddit for the game to find the updated builds. It's also been updated to include an Item Randomizer.

• Anthus likes this

#105 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Although speaking of the future of 2D Metroid games, Metroid Dread when?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users