Photo

Remember Cset and Tile Page number when setting Maps.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Whew.  I have carpal tunnel syndrome from even thinking about this...

So, suppose you realize that don't want a default map style anymore and you decide to draw individual maps for every level, or even Dmap.  Basically, you can't rely on using a single default map style anymore.

So now you have to go into literally every Dmap and manually set it to a tile 20,020 on tiles page 77, and it will use Cset 6, and advance your map tile by five or whatever for each new map graphic you're using.

The amount of individual operations for each Dmap isn't trivial.  It consists of the following.  In the Dmap editor,

1)  Select the first/next Dmap by pressing Down

2)  Press enter.

3)  It remembers that we're on the map tab at least, so move the cursor over to the map rectangle and click.

4)  Press "p" to open the Tile page dialog.

5)  Type 77.  Hit enter.    I'll bunch these together because it's muscle memory by now from every-day life.

6)  Press KP+ six times to get your proper Cset.

7)  Click on the tile you need or move the arrow keys to it and hit enter.

8.)  Hit enter again to close that particular Dmap which hits the "OK" button to save your progress.

9)  Be sure you haven't spaced out through the mind-numbing monotony and go to #1.

So if it remembered the Tile page, position of the last selected map, and the Cset we had selected, the new procedure looks like this:

1)  Select the first/next Dmap by pressing Down

2)  Press enter.

3)  Move the cursor over to the map rectangle and click.

4)  Click on the tile you need or move the arrow keys to it and hit enter.

5)  Hit enter again to close that particular Dmap which hits the "OK" button to save your progress.

6)  Be sure you haven't spaced out through the mind-numbing monotony and go to #1.

The steps that are saved are actually the most tedious of the steps besides having to move the cursor to the map rectangle within the Dmap editor. 

So what do you think?  Is this easy to do?  It'd be a huge help.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to do this, and I'm seriously worried about both my free time and the health of my wrists...

• Anthus and Omega like this

#2 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

Unfortunately, that won't work. The tile page it opens is specifically for the tile that it is currently set to, which is likewise used often in various places for tile selectors. It would likely require writing an entirely new system to have it globally preserve tile page, which is FAR too much work for something like this, which is extremely situational. When you click a tile selector box, it opens to that tile and cset, which is how tile selector boxes work; that would need to be re-coded at a GUI proc level, with global variables storing the location. And what would it apply to? Just dmap map tiles? That would make no sense, it'd need to apply everywhere. But people don't want it everywhere, so it'd need to be a toggle. And then you'll need to toggle it on when you need it and off when you don't and it's a whole damn mess.

Long story short, no, not simple, and not happening. This is, unfortunately, just something tedious.

• ShadowTiger and Anthus like this

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:11 AM

Definitely not a "Set all" button or something either, no.  Ah well.  Thank you anyway. ^_^  Lovely explanation.

#4 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:58 AM

A set all would be the sanest solution, but that then begs the question of 'Why just DMap map tiles? Why not have 50000 Set All buttons for every possible thing?'.

An 'Advanced Paste' option for dmaps would probably be the sanest possible thing, but that wouldn't end up saving you many steps at all.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:07 PM

I reserved a config setting and a global variable for this, and I will look into having the DMap editor remember the last tile page accessed, but this may require an entirely new set of dialogues and tile selectors, to be viable.

Note that what I would to to accomplish this, is to copy the tile editor code to a new function, and use that function for the DMap Editor call for tile select. Using a global variable, it could 'remember' the last tile page that you used, but that is about all that I could do here.

It isn't likely as impossible as Robert claims, but it may not be precisely what you want. The best it'd do is remember the last tile page you use from the DMap Editor dialogue for map tiles.  I'd certainly try to apply this to 2.53.1, first, as that makes testing it easier, before porting it to 2.55.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:08 PM

I'm amazed that this would have been more difficult than a peasant like myself would have expected, but what would I know, really.  :shrug:  Thank you for the insights!  I will happily defer to the wishes of the forces behind the very essence of feasibility. 

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 June 2020 - 08:21 PM

Feat: Added PreFillMapTilePage Functionality

Changelog: Implemented a request from ShadowTiger, whereby when you edit a
    DMap, and select a map tile, when you go to edit further
    DMap map tiles within the same session, the DMap editor will
    remember the last tile that you used.
    This will clear on loading any quest, but it remains static
    while working on a quest in memory, updating each time that
    the user selects a different tile in this editor.

I'm amazed that this would have been more difficult than a peasant like myself would have expected, but what would I know, really.  :shrug:  Thank you for the insights!  I will happily defer to the wishes of the forces behind the very essence of feasibility. 

Should be done. I hope this works as you want, because it is the only way that I can implement it.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 June 2020 - 04:05 AM

rwtZlis.png

Oh goodness, thank you!  That's going to make things so much easier in the future! <3  I really appreciate the time and energy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users