• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StarWoors

StarWoors

Initiate

• Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

HI! icon_redface.gif

I'm still a BIG TIME NOOB! But could someone please explain how I could either import or create a PALLET for downloaded tile sets? The colors are way off and I just have no idea on how to creat a pallet and use cset--with the exception of going into the combo editor.

Also, is there a recolor button or command? If so where can I find it? icon_frown.gif

#2 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Creating palettes is tricky. Creating good palettes is very hard.

If you're just trying to make downloaded loose tiles fit, your best bet would be to just recolor the tiles for use in your existing palette. When ripping, there is a recolor button, but it's not foolproof. If it doesn't work, you can use the built-in tile editor afterwards to recolor them (simple but tedious), or else use GraphicsGale to recolor the sheet beforehand (complicated but fast). I've never used GraphicsGale successfully, so you'd need to ask someone else how to use it.

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

First things first, read this. Specifically, the last half of it where it explains how palettes work. It is definitely very important. To import a custom palette without changing your tiles means that the tiles that you already have will be viewed in a palette that doesn't match the colors the tiles were drawn in, and the tiles will look very strange.

Generally, the "easy" way to do it is to import a palette that came with whatever tiles you're using. But that only works if you're using the vast majority of an image's tiles alongside the tiles you want. If you only want one tile out of a whole bunch, you're probably going to have to recolor it to the palettes you're already working in. If you're importing an entire tileset, you may as well make a new palette and import all the tiles directly into your tiles page, and use that new palette in any new area that uses those tiles. It's the easiest way. Not the cleanest, but the easiest.

To recolor a tile isn't that easy, but it's not disastrous either. There is a "Recolor" button in the "grab" area of the Tiles Page, but it's not perfect, and often misses vital colors. Your best bet is to do a whole bunch on your own as practice.

When editing a tile, [Ctrl]+[s] will swap the two colors assigned to your mouse buttons both on your mouse as well as in the tile. It makes recoloring large amounts of tiles much faster, considering the [Ctrl]+[left/right/up/down] will save the current tile and move to the next tile in that direction. Try it out.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Learning how to create new palletes was my favorite achievement in using ZQuest.

Palette editing is by far te best way to make unique quests, in fact, without palette editing, making an entirely new unique quest is impossible because most of the existing palettes are bland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users