• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

(Copy of Post from OpenZC.org)

There should be ways to copy/paste/swap/etc multiple screens via the minimap in the bottom left of the editor, like so.

r1RqGYY.png
How it looks before you expand the selector.
ZWHC15D.png
After expanding the selector.
i6qdVMl.png
Pasting at a random spot.

• Shane, Deedee and Lüt like this

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:20 PM

Is there actually any practical use for this?

The only time I have personally needed to copy multiple screens a bunch is when I paste a template screen on a bunch of screens to make out an area, but at that point you can very easily just use the arrow keys to quickly move around and hit the past shortcut.

• Avaro likes this

#3 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

It would be useful things such as:

1.Copying the layout of a level and making modifications to it. (i.e. Easy/Hard mode stuff perhaps)

2.Copying an area you want to use as a template for designing another area. (Say you have two segments of overworld that you want to be more than slightly similar but in different locations. EDIT: Or perhaps a Dark World/Light World type thing.)

I would personally make intense use of this feature, and often.

Edited by BigJoe, 05 March 2020 - 10:38 PM.

• Mani Kanina likes this

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

Fair enough, though, in those situations I would just copy and paste an entire map most of the time (I say this as someone who has made harder versions of her dungeons in at least one quest).

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

I'd first want to add a way to export and import mapscreen blocks by (start_id, w, h). This is a bit tricky, and could quite easily lead to severe instability, or unintuitive. The .map format is a bloody disaster, but thankfully future-proof; however any errors (overflow or underflow) in writing a single mapscreen will result in a vector container crash due to using vectors as storage for combos.

At some point, a prior dev changed them from fixed arrays sized [176] to a scaling vector based on screen dimensions, and shuld we ever try to implement varying screen dimensions, a block copy would pose other, interesting technical problems, but even now, a tiny error in handling vector contents will throw a vector exception.

FWIW, when I tried to rewrite the map export, I had my share of these. It's very ugly. Consider copying a 3x3 plock, selecting a 2x2 or 4x4 (or other size mismatch), then trying to paste the buffer contents. At the least, this would  need block size protection (error on any mismatch); and a rather unpleasant additional change to the map selection panel.

I'll think about it, but it isn't something that I'd be in a hurry to add. Once I have .zscreen done as a format, then I can look at using that as a base for this type of utility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users