IDK how sprites work

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 28 February 2023 - 11:27 PM

How does the game decide on what sprite to use? There's only 2 spots for sprites in the enemy editor when I need 16. Is ZC psychic? Do you just give it 2 sprites and it magically finds all the rest with its third eye powers?

Is there some Sheikah bullcrap going on here that y'all ain't telling me?

plz help meh.

#2 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 12:21 AM

i have been using this program for 16 years and I do not understand how sprites work

• Hergiswi, Naldrag and Matthew like this

#3 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:45 AM

image.png

Here's an image of the enemy editor. The W and H fields below the sprites are used to determine the number of tiles being used for the enemy's movement animation. Here is the default Darknut. As you can see, old uses 5 horizontal tiles. New uses 16 horizontal tiles.

Edited by Magi_Hero, 01 March 2023 - 08:45 AM.

#4 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:29 PM

Now the enemies are moving strangely. I made 3 columns of 16 tiles in the tile editor, just like with the original Zelda enemies such as the Moblins. A 4-frame walk cycle for each direction, up, down, left, and right, copy/pasted into 3 columns. I happily loaded up ZC, hoping that the Red Bokoblins would move like every other enemy, but sadly, their movements are a buggy mess. They are using the front-facing walk cycle for walking backwards, and the left-facing one for moving right. It looks like they're moonwalking.

The Hinoxen were a different beast. They would either stay in one location or warp halfway across the map. One time, the Bokoblins "warped" as well.

How do I make my sprites move normally? Please help me.

Edited by Bokoblin, 01 March 2023 - 06:30 PM.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:52 PM

They are using the front-facing walk cycle for walking backwards, and the left-facing one for moving right. It looks like they're moonwalking.

This sounds like you have them in the wrong order on the tile pages. The standard order for directional sprites in ZC is up, down, left, right. You can look at any of the many enemies set up that way in the tile pages and use that as a template. How are yours laid out?

The Hinoxen were a different beast. They would either stay in one location or warp halfway across the map. One time, the Bokoblins "warped" as well.

This sounds like you've got some crazy value set for their step speed. Can you share an image of what their enemy editor entry looks like?

#6 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 09:14 PM

Mine are laid out up, down, left, right, like every other enemy in the game.

The Hinoxen have 25 speed, while Bokoblins have 50.

#7 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:14 PM

bro how do i link images it ain't working

Edited by Bokoblin, 01 March 2023 - 11:04 PM.

• Magi_Hero, Naldrag, Taco Chopper and 5 others like this

#8 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:37 PM

bro how do i link images it ain't working

The image has to be uploaded to another site, and you need to copy that link. You can use something like dropbox.

EDIT: Actually, if you have discord, just post the images there and you can copy that link to post the image on the forums. You can make a personal server, and basically use it as a clipboard. You'll want to put the link in between:

[img][/img]

tags when you post it to the forum.

#9 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:02 AM

ok the speed for the enemies is fine, nothing crazy

the walk cycles are in the same format:

[up walk cycle, 4 frames] [down walk cycle, 4 frames] [left walk cycle, 4 frames] [right walk cycle, 4 frames]

[up walk cycle, 4 frames] [down walk cycle, 4 frames] [left walk cycle, 4 frames] [right walk cycle, 4 frames]

just like EVERY. OTHER. ENEMY.

the Red Bokos and Hinoxen have stats like this on the "new" sprite

W: 16

H: 3

16 tiles, 3 columns

the "old" sprites have these stats

W: 4

H: 0

the homing stat for both enemies is the same as the moblin's homing stat

the red boko is classified as a 4 frame 4 dir walking enemy, and the hinox is classified as a 4 frame 4 dir projectile shooter

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG

Edited by Bokoblin, 02 March 2023 - 12:05 AM.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 March 2023 - 06:38 AM

Two questions. First, are you selection the upper left tile in that block for the enemies. Second, go to Quest->Options and then pick the enemies tab. Is "Use New Enemy Tiles" checked? If not, make sure you check that one.

#11 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 02 March 2023 - 11:56 AM

upper left tile in what block? i selected the first back-facing tile of the back-facing walk cycle in the "new" box for both enemies, the hinoxen and red bokos, still doing the moonwalk. i checked use new enemy tiles, and now they only use one sprite.

im using the alpha build, if that helps, maybe its a bug

i fixed it

i forgot to check 4 frame 4 dir in the e anim box after i checked use new sprites bc im a dumbass

thanks bros

• Magi_Hero and Russ like this

#12 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:29 PM

okay now theres another problem

the bokoblin walk cycle is going too slowly to be fluid with how fast they are moving (like 60 step speed)

now the bokos took up ice skating instead of moonwalking, it seems

how do i speed up the walk cycle?

#13 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 02 March 2023 - 12:36 PM

image.png

Here's an image of the enemy editor. The W and H fields below the sprites are used to determine the number of tiles being used for the enemy's movement animation. Here is the default Darknut. As you can see, old uses 5 horizontal tiles. New uses 16 horizontal tiles.

F. Rate (frame rate) in this screenshot controls the animation speed.  Lower values are faster

#14 Bokoblin

Bokoblin

added tree hair

• Members

Posted 02 March 2023 - 03:53 PM

thanks mitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users