Photo

Screenshot of the Week 310

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (60 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:58 PM

Voted for Molten Onyx. awesome screen! My second vote would be ZeeLiam. Great Classic screen! It's not to closed in like others I've seen making it much better.

#17 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

Gah! They're all so awesome this week!

MO - Great, as always. But I don't like the bush on the edge of the screen. 9/10.

Orin - Very good! But not just my taste icon_wink.gif 9/10

ZL - I like it, but its jsut a bit too simple. Add a roadblock so the character has to go around! 8/10

PkmnMster - No complaints at all! 10/10

Yoshidude - A bit more ground detail and you'll be great! Lots of potential! 7/10

Furion - Not my style, but it's great! 8.5/10

My final choice is Pokemonmaster64. Just an amazing screen buddy!

#18 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

These are all amazing. Too amazing, I'm suspicious...

But honestly, I like Furion's. I don't know, his just stands out of the crowd a bit, and it just looks amazing to me. Maybe I'm weird, but I had to question if that was even made in Zquest. I am exaggerating, I know. But it's really good. A runner up would be Pokemonmaster64 probably, but I just like tropical themed things.

#19 Marco

Marco

• Banned

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(ShimmeringFlames @ Feb 6 2011, 05:09 PM) View Post

I had to question if that was even made in Zquest.

If you can't comprehend potential of ZC, you'll never get there yourself.

#20 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

Whoa. All of them (especially MO's) were nice, but I ended up voting for ZeeLiam, for making a playable yet beautiful classic shot.

#21 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

I null'd.

I shall comment without a further ado.

Molten Onyx: I know it is bright anc colourful, but I don't like that open corner in the top-right. 7/10.

Myself: Geeze, I wonder what went so wrong that nobody voted for this. I feel that it is a good step up from my past entry, and I followed everyone's critique on that entry (and Pokemonmaster, there were less enemies and projectiles in my pervious entry, and you voted for that too).

ZeeLiam: A decent Classic shot, but it is not my cup of tea when it comes the amount of activity onscreen. 6/10

Pokemonmaster64: It looks alright, but I feel that how the mountaintops are used incorrectly. This is the only one that would have voted if I hadn't entered. 7/10.

Yoshidude: This forest screen looks a little bland for my tastes. If it is a forest, then add a couple more things on the ground. 6/10.

Furion: Again, yet another Metroid shot. It is on par with a standard Metroid shot, but that standard is not that good when it comes to ZC... 5/10.

#22 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:33 AM

These floor tiles look awefully off, Molten. You need something with more detail, the simple pattern isn't working with BS grass. Still voted for you, though, since it's a nice screen none the less.

#23 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Feb 7 2011, 03:03 AM) View Post

Pokemonmaster64: It looks alright, but I feel that how the mountaintops are used incorrectly. This is the only one that would have voted if I hadn't entered. 7/10.

I wouldn't say I used the mountain tops incorrectly as much as just in an unusual manner. I layered on some grass borders to give the 2 layer effect.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Feb 6 2011, 02:18 PM) View Post
See the problem is, I'm not a great tile artist or a great palette maker...person...thing, so if DoR doesn't come with dying yellow bushes, I'm sunk.

I don't know about "dying," but yellow bushes are available, since that's a function of the palette rather than the tiles.

However, if I'm seeing it correctly, you are using a custom palette. If that's the case, it's up to the person who made the palette: they should use the various CSets to include any alternate colors you may need.

Personally, I recommend that at the very least, most overworld palettes should have an alternate color for dead/dying trees, probably yellow or orange or brown or red. It's not really necessary to have all of those, though. Just a green gradient and one other tree color gradient (in another CSet) are really all you need for one palette.

#25 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Feb 7 2011, 12:39 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Feb 6 2011, 02:18 PM) View Post
See the problem is, I'm not a great tile artist or a great palette maker...person...thing, so if DoR doesn't come with dying yellow bushes, I'm sunk.

I don't know about "dying," but yellow bushes are available, since that's a function of the palette rather than the tiles.

However, if I'm seeing it correctly, you are using a custom palette. If that's the case, it's up to the person who made the palette: they should use the various CSets to include any alternate colors you may need.

Personally, I recommend that at the very least, most overworld palettes should have an alternate color for dead/dying trees, probably yellow or orange or brown or red. It's not really necessary to have all of those, though. Just a green gradient and one other tree color gradient (in another CSet) are really all you need for one palette.

I just realized that DoR has more tree colors than I thought it did. It really is an amazing tileset if you know how to use it right...which I don't at the moment...

#26 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Feb 7 2011, 12:03 AM) View Post

Myself: Geeze, I wonder what went so wrong that nobody voted for this. I feel that it is a good step up from my past entry, and I followed everyone's critique on that entry (and Pokemonmaster, there were less enemies and projectiles in my pervious entry, and you voted for that too).

You didn't do anything wrong. Your screen's a great screen, with no flaws at all (other than the murder of innocent animals. icon_deformed.gif). It's just that people like the other screens better. Let me put it this way. True Grit was a great movie, and I loved it. But if I had to vote for the best movie of 2010/11, I'd vote for Inception, because I liked it better. But True Grit was still amazing, and nothing was wrong with it, it just wasn't quite as good. That's what your screen's like; no flaws at all, but just not quite as good as the competition. If you had entered it almost any other week, it probably would have won. With SotW, it's just luck of the draw who you're competing against.

#27 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I know, I've always had issues with those path tiles too. I'll try to find a suitable replacement for them. I feel that I owe an explanation for the terribly empty upper right corner too. It's because the screens on all sides of that corner have limited walkability and I needed to accommodate that. Thanks everyone for feedback! icon_biggrin.gif

Orin XD
IPB Image
Yet another avanced shot of Diamond quest. I have made new ghosts; Muh, ha, ha!

I like it, there's no mountain errors, which is great. But I will say that there is not enough colour. Try placing some of the treetops in a different CSet, and maybe add a few bushes.

ZeeLiam
IPB Image

Yes! This is what I've been wanting to see in Classic! AMAZING. The one thing I would change is making a less random placement of the grass. But it's great either way. icon_thumbsup.gif

Pokemonmaster64
IPB Image
Too late for Screen Rebirth, but there's always Screenshot of the Week!

I wouldn't call it bad, but there are parts which are definitely overdone. The double grass overlay thing you have going on with the cliffs doesn't work for me. Also, use the normal grass/sand transition tiles instead of those more defined ones you used. Honestly, this screen looks like it could've been better if you'd put less effort in. icon_razz.gif

Yoshidude
IPB Image
Link senses a great energy in the forest

It's a nice, basic Pure shot. I have no complaints, yet no compliments either. It's just...really basic, and don't take that as a bad thing either.

Furion
IPB Image
Ǝxɬarу Ħaʝэɳs

Ah, now that light is really nice. This is really unique for a ZC shot, I like it. May I ask, what item is that?

Edited by Molten Onyx, 07 February 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#28 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well i don't like it when people say my screens are, basic, and they don't say anything good about them

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Feb 7 2011, 08:32 PM) View Post
Well i don't like it when people say my screens are, basic, and they don't say anything good about them
Then don't make a basic screenshot.

We're all tired of people complaining about the kinds of comments they get. You can't force people to like your screens, so if you're unhappy with the feedback you're getting, the only thing you can do is design better screens by listening to peoples complaints. If you're happy with the way your screens look, you can of course choose not to improve on them, but then you can't complain about what kinds of comments you're getting.

Anyways, my vote went for Molten Onyx this week. Nice design, though the open corners bothers me slightly. It's not a huge deal in this screen, seeing as the rest of it is so good all-around, but adding something to that corner would still drastically improve its look.

#30 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ Feb 7 2011, 02:44 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Feb 7 2011, 08:32 PM) View Post
Then don't make a basic screenshot.

We're all tired of people complaining about the kinds of comments they get. You can't force people to like your screens, so if you're unhappy with the feedback you're getting, the only thing you can do is design better screens by listening to peoples complaints. If you're happy with the way your screens look, you can of course choose not to improve on them, but then you can't complain about what kinds of comments you're getting.

Anyways, my vote went for Molten Onyx this week. Nice design, though the open corners bothers me slightly. It's not a huge deal in this screen, seeing as the rest of it is so good all-around, but adding something to that corner would still drastically improve its look.
I do like the way my screens look, its just i work hard on them and people don't like them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users