Photo

Screenshot of the Week 148

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 148 (62 member(s) have cast votes)

8 more shots this week! ^_^

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(EatinCake @ Dec 11 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post
Rev- 2 things. 1, please dont enter cropped shots. Its not that hard to make link invisible and take a shot in Zquest. 2, the top part needs something... seems like a area of empty space.

1. See that kid with the purple cape and the feathered hat? That's "Link". I put on no subscreen because the frames are not done yet.

2. I agree with you there... I'll try to find something to put there.

#17 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Oh for god's sake: it's a temple entrace, so what's with the complaints for it being cramped? Actually, this is a fairly old shot, so honestly, I really could care less for it. I figured it may bring up at least something with a small chance of winning. And considering the shots from week, I had no chance of winning. Oh well, good to see that I at least got one vote!

blaman - O_o... great shot there, but... like revfan9's shot (and mine), it's a bit empty. The detail is great, but there just doesn't seem to be quite enough going on for me to say it's the greatest. Small bit of gameplay (+points), though it still only gets third place from me due to the bit of emptiness inside of tiles of great detail.

mudvayne - Beautiful shot there... but it has a few color contrast problems - mainly Link and a few other things. It also looks a little... cramped, with the massive amount of detail. Maybe it's just the amount of detail per tile. Second place (almost got first, but then my mind went to the mode of "gameplay")

revfan9 - Only problem with that shot - looks pretty darn empty. As in like... too empty. Otherwise, great stuff.

rocksfan13 - The standard shot of the week: Not overly good but decent enough for most people. I can't really suggest anything to make the shot better, given the tileset's limitations. Good work, but the subscreen really does seem a little too cramped.

Fire Wizzrobe - A little too much contrast being the fireballs/back area and the floors. It's also a little overly symmetrical, but given what that probably is, it should be fine.

Lotus Eater - Freaking custom graphics... anyways, I see absolutely only one little problem with that shot - the bright grass on the right just doesn't fit that well with the rest of the colors. It looks fine with the other tiles, but it's just that it's too bright. Ooh... a little bit of a battle (+points). Yeah, first place for me, as it has a little more going on than most of the others.

Sharon Daniel - Ooh... you've got some nice tiles and graphics going there... but the sprites of Link and the guards don't really fit in. Also, I know it may be daytime, but the fire should still shine just a little bit of light upon the walls. The shadows of the walls aren't noticable either, unless you really look for it. And last, the railings at the entrance part that are next to the walls - there's a bit of edginess at the top part that just sticks out like crazy.

Good competition this week... between about 3 of you. If things keep going like this though, blaman will just plain undoubtedly win with no one to stop him.

QUOTE(Nathaniel)
This screen does make me interested in knowing what the rest of the level looks like, which is also a big plus. Nice job on bringing down the light indicating a hole in the ceiling.

The demo for that level is in my sig, actually, though it seems no one has bothered touching it. Oh well. Also, that's not a hole in the ceiling - it's a save point. If it were a hole in the ceiling, then the light would end going downwards and not upwards, don't you think?

#18 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

I have already fixed the grass and dulled it down a bit compared to that shot, thanks for the comments though. The more I look at it, the more I hate my shot, I notice now I need more back ground activity, I got some serious work to do on these tiles.

#19 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:57 PM

Arrrgh.. those windows killed me. I'm sorry, but I don't think I understood your post in my topic, Lotus Eater. When I modified the windows from the Minish Cap, they were already in perspective, so I thought.

Would it have more depth if I added some darker pixel on the bottom edges?

Hope I can pull in a victory next week. It's elaborate, and it'll take me about 5-7 hours to draw total. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 11 December 2006 - 06:02 PM.

#20 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

some nice shots today
voted for Lotus Eater

#21 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

Go look at the picture in the post, because the lack of a sill going into the wall a distance it looks like the wall is either paper thin or else it is a painting. Try adding about an 8 pixel depth along the bottom and perhaps three or so along both edges.

Later,
Lotus

#22 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:19 AM

Alright as per everyone's suggestions I have lightened up the passive subscreens.

Is this better?

IPB Image

I think so.

#23 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

That looks a lot better. Very nice.

#24 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:47 AM

null

#25 Lotus Eater

Lotus Eater

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

I'm sorry if that is all you had to say, why even make the post? At least comment on why you didn't vote for anyone.

#26 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(.TakaM @ Dec 13 2006, 12:47 AM) View Post

null

Lotus Eater makes a good point. Simply stating your vote option and nothing else provides no real substance to the topic, and nobody I know is going to care about your choice unless you give your reasons for that choice. If you only wish to put your effort into voting or null voting, then there is no reason in making a post.

And rocksfan13: I agree that the active subscreen definitely looks better. I like how it is organized this time around, as it doesn't look any bit distracting.

#27 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

[@rocksfan13] Yes, the subscreen looks A LOT better. You have a nice organized subscreen, and it is easier to look at.

#28 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

I'm glad you all like it. It's taken me quite a while to perfect those things.
But when they come out right, WOW!

#29 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

This one was very difficult, if only because the number of entries was huge.

Windstrike:
This would be decent if you didn't overuse opposing walls so much. It's a bit too busy for an entrance screen. Also, these walls look a little strange for an ice temple.

blaman:
Here's the one I ended up voting for. The colors and designs and screen content are all very appealing and mesh well together. icon_smile.gif The only part I don't like is the little rock path in the upper-right. It doesn't seem well-placed, and uses too much black.

mudvayne:
Another good one. However, the contrasting tiles from different tilesets take away from it, slightly, and the actual timing of the snapshot is not very good. How would I know what those sparkles and that heart piece are if I didn't see the tileset beforehand?

Revfan9:
Very nice rip. icon_smile.gif Not much else is going on here, though.

rocksfan13:
Nothing terribly good or bad about the screen here. But... EGAD.... get rid of that subscreen POST STAT... Cramming everything into one small space is NOT good....

Fire Wizzrobe:
This looks suspiciously like a cut scene. Cut scenes are fine, but they shouldn't masquerade as playable scenes, if in fact that's what this is doing. If not, oh well.

It's pretty nice otherwise -- very nice rips -- except I'm noticing that the windows looks off. Unless they're actually mirrors, that much of the outside world should not be visible. Meaning, where's the window sill? icon_confused.gif

Lotus Eater:
Excellent tileset work going on here. icon_smile.gif If there were more detail to the screen, I might vote for it. Yes, the tiles are extremely detailed, but there isn't much tile variation.

Also, work out the big bugs before posting screenshots!! icon_blah.gif (j/k)

Sharon Daniel:
Pretty good, but... ANOTHER castle gate screen with nothing else happening? We've seen too many of these in SOTW. Even I have submitted one.

#30 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

The walls, platform, floors, clouds, and sprites are custom. I already know of the window problem and I will add some depth to it.

It's a playable scence, via FFC scripting. The first version will be fireballs that simply follow you. When I learn more about sin and cos, it will be like what I have depicted.

Edited by Fire Wizzrobe, 13 December 2006 - 09:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users