Under, Around, Over and Through

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

More specifically, all the stuff that isn't the overworld. Here, I'll be discussing development of caves, towns and dungeons as I progress forward in the development of this quest.

I probably won't focus too much on the caves and towns, since those are boring.

I'm looking for suggestions for music to use in the various dungeons of the game. In case you forgot, here's what they're called.

Labrynna

1 Slimy Sewers
2. Royal Gallery
3. Uneven Edifice
4. Ancient Crypt
5. Overgrown Outpost
6. Derelict Galleon
7. Secret Cove
8. Labrynnan Library

Mirror World

1. Treetop Terrace
2. Diabolical Factory
3. Malevolent MInes
4. Bottomless Canyon
5. Subzero Storehouse
6. Fiery Peak
7. Ethereal Depths
8. Terrifying Tunnel

I'm also on the hunt for a few tiles, such as diagonal fences and a playground.

Please post any suggestions on music or games I might be able to rip these tiles from here.
  • judasrising and Epsalon ZX like this

#2 SCKnuckles

SCKnuckles

Master Of Amy Rose Series

• Members

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

you know with my take at the previous 2 quests of yours, and the fact when it comes to music, if it is good, the dungeon is good, so I would like to take part in picking the soundtrack for your dungeons provided I know the atmosphere of the place.

• ywkls likes this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:21 PM

you know with my take at the previous 2 quests of yours, and the fact when it comes to music, if it is good, the dungeon is good, so I would like to take part in picking the soundtrack for your dungeons provided I know the atmosphere of the place.

Well, I have no preconceived ideas myself about what is and isn't appropriate for a particular area. My biggest problem when it comes to selecting a soundtrack is the fact that I have to download it most of the time and load it into my quest before I can even listen to it.

That being said, if you'd like to help; I'd really appreciate it. We can discuss the matter here; via PM or through Skype since I have that option. It's up to you.

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thanks to diligent efforts by SCKnuckles (and my almost complete lack of pickiness in this regard) music for all dungeons and most overworld areas has now been selected! (I say most because although I've uploaded the tunes to the quest, I haven't necessarily assigned them to their respective DMaps yet.)

I plan to start setting those up immediately and starting in on working on various things after the end of the year, but I just though I'd share this news and extend my deepest thanks and gratitude for this volunteer effort which has saved me a lot of time which I could've have wasted on this endeavor. (Not to mention the fact that when it comes to music, I generally decide if I like it in the first 5 seconds.)

You've definitely earned another Special Thanks, SCKnuckles!

• SCKnuckles likes this

#5 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

Last night, I brainstormed some of the final details of the game's plot and it caused me to realize that in order for thing to work out the way that I desire; I'm actually going to have to lengthen it slightly.

The main plot of each world will have a separate ending you must unlock in order to access two new bonus dungeons for each world. These will be the Maku Road and the Dark Lord's Trial. Completing both will earn you upgrades to certain items, which you can then take back to the normal final dungeon and open up a new area; the Hall of Mirrors.

Once inside, the heroes from both worlds will have to work together to get thru and ultimately face off against a dark force that has been awakened by your actions in both realities. This boss fight will probably end up being fairly unique as I'm planning to utilize a mechanic that the entire game will have in it.

What might that be, you ask? Well, I'm going to make it where you can use the Magical Mirror to warp instantly between the two worlds; placing you in whatever location you last visited on the other side. Naturally, this will be disabled during boss fights to prevent losing your progress. In that secret final boss battle, however; you'll have it at your fingertips and be forced to switch between the two heroes in order to use different abilities against it.

Defeating this foe will unlock a third ending, the true finale that will lead you onwards towards the conclusion of this series.

• judasrising, Zolias and Epsalon ZX like this

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

I've been stuck on this project for various reasons over the past month, but I feel ready to get back to work on it now.

So far, I've finished deciding on the shapes that the first 2 dungeons in each world will have. I've also decided on the sizes for each dungeon. Here's a summary.

Dungeons 1-4 in each world will have a single floor. Dungeons 5-7 will each have 2 floors and the 8th will have 3 floors. I haven't decided on the last dungeon, but probably 4 floors per world.

I'd be interested in any suggestions for what shapes to use for the dungeons I haven't made yet. So far, I've stuck to ones which resemble what the area is supposed to be. So, here's a brief explanation of each one.

Labrynna
3. Uneven Edifice- An old ruin, cracked by an earthquake.
4. Ancient Crypt- A tomblike structure
5. Overgrown Outpost- The moblin fort, infested with plants.
6. Derelict Galleon- A pair of ships, which is partially submerged.
7. Secret Cove- A seaside cave.

8. Labrynnan Library- A place with lots of books.

Mirror World
3. Malevolent MInes- A series of mine shafts.
4. Bottomless Canyon- In a desert, there's a deep gorge.
5. Subzero Storehouse- A facility used to keep things cold.
6. Fiery Peak- Inside a volcano.
7. Ethereal Depths- A place that seems almost out of this world.
8. Terrifying Tunnel- A menacing cave.

Anyways, I'd really like some feedback (before I spend another month dithering).Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by ywkls, 25 March 2017 - 05:22 PM.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#7 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

Slight update on this, because no; it is not dead. (I just got inspired to do a ton of Metroid stuff and wanted to finish that before getting back to this.)

First, off; I've decided on the shapes for the various dungeons. There's no real point in revealing them here since the actual interior layouts have yet to be created. But having the form into which they'll fit is half the battle.

I've also revised the boss roster slightly. There was an older list I did a while back, but this is the current one.

Boss List

As you can see if you're familiar with the old list; some main bosses were demoted to mini-boss status and three new main bosses have been added. I actually feel that this change improves things for the better both in terms of the story and what I have planned for the final bosses and the endings.

Once I finish with my work on my Metroid junk, I'll be going back to work on this exclusively for a while. I'm not sure if I want to make a demo or not, since I tend to design things as I go along and it is hard to determine where to create a cut-off point.

Also, one other thing I wanted was to ask if anyone had suggestions for mini-boss and boss music. SCKnuckles helped with the selection of the level music, but wasn't able to come up with anything on this front last time I asked so I thought I'd see if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

Finished work on second dungeon for this quest!

(Technically, you can complete one of two dungeons in any order; but you have to do part of both to finish either.)

Once I get them both tested I'll be releasing a demo with them.

Here's the maps!

Treetop Terrace

Slimy Sewers

If there are any ideas on details I might need to add, please suggest them!

• WindRobe and Epsalon ZX like this

#9 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

I'd say for Treetop Terrace, add some little decorations to the background near important areas. That way, people can remember where certain areas are in the dungeon, since the layout looks like it'd be easy to forget where things are in the dungeon.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

Time to make this official!

Ahem...

I'd like to request volunteers for testing my first playable demo of this quest.

This demo encompasses the first two dungeon along with a good deal of the gameplay mechanics.

There are some minor detais (like Trading Sequence) that still need to be worked out, on which I will accept suggestions.

So far, two people have agreed to give this a shot, but more usually means fewer bugs.

Also; testers- please ignore the fact that push blocks appear above your character. This is an issue with how ZC does layers and not one that is easily fixed.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#11 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

Well, I've got some testing done since the last update.

Thanks to Eppy and Epsalon ZX, many bugs have been found and dutifully squashed!

Of course there could be more; which is why I'd still like at least one more person to go through the demo before I release it.

In other news; I've finished work on the design of the second Labrynna dungeon.

Here's the map.

Royal Gallery

The item for this is the Gale Fruit; which allow you to transport yourself, projectiles or enemies to distant locales.

One puzzle that will be features a few times will require you to set up the portals that the Gale Fruit creates;

then to fire your arrow through it in a certain direction in order to hit a target that you otherwise couldn't.

My next task will be the Diabolical Factory in the Mirror World.

The item there will be the Seed Shooter.

If there are any suggestions as to what it's dungeon mechanic should be, feel free to offer suggestions.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

The first playable demo of this is finished and has been uploaded so others can try it out.

Please report any bugs that occur so that they can be corrected and further work on the quest can proceed!

• WindRobe likes this

#13 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

I guess I should put something here, updating and all?

So, if it seems like not a lot has been posted here on PureZC about this in a while; that's probably because discussion has been confined to my Discord server for my projects and various streams of the quest by Eppy.

Anyways, as I announced elsewhere a few days ago; I finished the next demo which included level 1-4 for Din and Nayru.

Also included are a host of hidden minigames, items and secrets which you'll have to find on your own.

I'm not sure whether I need to create a help topic for this or not (since the content here is the equivalent of an 8-dungeon quest) but if anyone tries it out and gets stuck, feel free to post about it here or on Discord. (Or start a help topic of their own.)

I'm taking a brief hiatus to work on another quest project that I'm reviving, but it is my intent to switch back and forth between the two until one or the other is finished. (Who knows how long that will take, though?)

Until next time, then.

• Epsalon ZX likes this

#14 deme

deme

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:15 AM

I dont' know what to do after levels 4. And I opened something in here but nothing happen? 

11gsmya.png

There is nothing in this cave

neb3t1.png

ohmya9.png

This button doesn't work

ekrc53.jpg

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

I dont' know what to do after levels 4. And I opened something in here but nothing happen? 
11gsmya.png

The post level 4 areas aren't finished in the demo, so there may be bugs related to them like this one.

There is nothing in this cave
neb3t1.png

That's because it wasn't finished in time for the demo. (Still isn't, actually.)

ohmya9.png

Good catch! That was supposed to be water but wasn't for some reason.

This button doesn't work

ekrc53.jpg

It's working on my end? This may be a demo-specific issue.

Anyways, thanks for letting me know about these bugs. They'll be fixed for the next release.

• judasrising likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users