Bounds of Waterford Help

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

Help will also be given at Waterford for those who ask it for it.

• Architect Abdiel likes this

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Figure I'll drop some feedback here. Really enjoying the quest so far. I've completed Tadpole, Salamander, Fox, and all of Beaver except for the boss. This is really damn good for a first quest. I did Tadpole first, and I was blown away by how well thought out it is. Like, at the end of the day, it's just a fairly small NES dungeon, but the amount of thought that went into where the bomb walls are, showing the player keys to guide them towards them, placing bomb drops at "dead ends" if you don't have enough keys to hint at where they find more, and all of that was just really clever. The overworld, while sometimes a bit empty on an individual screen level, works pretty well as a whole. And the non-linearity is pretty great.

Couple of little complaints. I love the idea of the eight keys behind unique monsters, but the monsters themselves aren't the most interesting. It's hardly your fault, just a limitation of the enemy editor, where all you can really do is give an NES enemy more HP and damage. The boss of Beaver is all a bit of a pain, often feeling like it comes down to RNG more than anything else, and the trek back is a bit of a slog. There's also a few screens where you can push blocks that clearly aren't supposed to be pushed (top left of salamander, bottom right of Fox) and a typo in the magic wand string ("useless with the magic book").

All this is to say that it's got a few problems, but it's pretty fun on the whole. Definitely exceeds the vast majority of first quests here. :approve:

#3 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:00 PM

Figure I'll drop some feedback here. Really enjoying the quest so far. I've completed Tadpole, Salamander, Fox, and all of Beaver except for the boss. This is really damn good for a first quest. I did Tadpole first, and I was blown away by how well thought out it is. Like, at the end of the day, it's just a fairly small NES dungeon, but the amount of thought that went into where the bomb walls are, showing the player keys to guide them towards them, placing bomb drops at "dead ends" if you don't have enough keys to hint at where they find more, and all of that was just really clever. The overworld, while sometimes a bit empty on an individual screen level, works pretty well as a whole. And the non-linearity is pretty great.

Couple of little complaints. I love the idea of the eight keys behind unique monsters, but the monsters themselves aren't the most interesting. It's hardly your fault, just a limitation of the enemy editor, where all you can really do is give an NES enemy more HP and damage. The boss of Beaver is all a bit of a pain, often feeling like it comes down to RNG more than anything else, and the trek back is a bit of a slog. There's also a few screens where you can push blocks that clearly aren't supposed to be pushed (top left of salamander, bottom right of Fox) and a typo in the magic wand string ("useless with the magic book").

All this is to say that it's got a few problems, but it's pretty fun on the whole. Definitely exceeds the vast majority of first quests here. :approve:

Hey thank you very much for the feedback. It means a lot to me that you even tried it. I will fix that things and submit a revision. I hope you continue to play though though it. The later dungeons are better than the early ones.

#4 nyrox

nyrox

Junior

• Members

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:45 PM

i just start my game  for now is good  i begin with salamander but not find the way to have de boss key . I finish tadpole. now i blcok in beaver.. is time to go to sleep now lol. 

#5 Lynel Richie

Lynel Richie

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:48 AM

i just start my game  for now is good  i begin with salamander but not find the way to have de boss key . I finish tadpole. now i blcok in beaver.. is time to go to sleep now lol. 

You'll need to do some backtracking after you find that level's item.

#6 congo23

congo23

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

Can I ask in what area of the world you grew up that this is based on?

Edited by congo23, 29 July 2020 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:31 PM

Hey, so I've beaten 6/8 dungeons and I think I could use some help finding the last two. I suspect I need the hammer or raft since those are blocking the way to the remaining few overworld screens. My current inventory:

Spoiler

I'm also noticing I'm missing quite a few level 9 keys for how much overworld progress I've made...

Edit: And of course right after I post this I found the clue leading to more progress. In a hint shop near the start.

Edited by Moosh, 29 July 2020 - 04:20 PM.

#8 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

Spoiler

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:03 PM

Spoiler

I think if you bring an item from another dungeon you can play the whole thing without a sword. Bombs are also an option. I'm pretty sure this was intended as the 8th dungeon but I found it as my 5th and had a blast.

#10 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:04 PM

I think if you bring an item from another dungeon you can play the whole thing without a sword. Bombs are also an option. I'm pretty sure this was intended as the 8th dungeon but I found it as my 5th and had a blast.

Alright. I'll keep trying then. I'll just look for another dungeon.

#11 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:52 PM

Alright, I explored most of the overworld and 3 dungeons, and so far I pretty much agree with Russ.

Overworld is generally serviceable with a few outstanding highlights, while dungeons are quite solid all around.

I should probably mention, the 3 dungeons I did were Tadpole, Beaver, and Buck/Doe.

Or well, tried to do. It seems I got to Buck/Doe a little prematurely, and found myself dead-ended at these 2 rooms, apparently for lack of items:

Spoiler
I couldn't find a way out of the ice one, so I had to save/reload there. (I really like those clear Zols, btw.)

I actually didn't have as much trouble with the dungeon as I expected, even though it seemed obvious I shouldn't have been there so early. The benefit of the red bubbles is that they keep all the enemies dead, and with the stairway to the blue bubble area being directly in the center, it never took long to get my sword back and continue where I left off. If the enemies had kept respawning like usual, I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere near as far as I did, so in that way, it's oddly friendly to early explorers.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

And that's quest beaten. 

Spoiler

#13 derby77

derby77

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:47 AM

This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but I installed ZC 2.55 Alpha 74 because I want to play this quest, but I have Windows 10 and it doesn't open up full screen. 

Do others have same issue and if not, any suggestions?

Edited by derby77, 30 July 2020 - 10:51 AM.

#14 nyrox

nyrox

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

what the number of heart need to ake de white sword?

I lost my game when a kill a special skeleton in the fox dongeons snif snif  a need to remake 2 dongons et a lot of thing a buying ...

Edited by nyrox, 30 July 2020 - 08:21 PM.

#15 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:44 PM

what the number of heart need to ake de white sword?

I think it's 8.

At least, that's how many I had when I finally got it.

I know it's more than 6, because I couldn't pick it up with only that many.

Anyway, I finished another 4 dungeons (including Buck/Doe), so that's 6 down, and so far so good and few troubles with that.

But now I seem to be needing either a raft or a hammer to get any further, and I'm quite sure I found everything that's currently findable on the overworld using the lens, so, not sure what's up now.

Guess I'll try revisiting a few dungeons? I notice some strange lens paths on the overworld (the northwest field for example), but they don't seem to lead anywhere or have any secrets on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users