Photo

State of ZC Development (very important read)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, after a very serious turn of events involving some unprofessional behavior, it was deemed by a unanimous vote of other developers and AGN staff that Zoria's health no longer permits him to continue as the head of Zelda Classic development outright and a change has to be made for the betterment of the project.

Now, what this means is that a line of succession has been put into place, and the project has been forked.  No one has been fired, let,go, or demoted outright.  Zoria will continue on his own fork if he desires,and if he recovers and redeems himself, he can still be a valuable asset to the community.  As his friend, I still believe in him.

But with the impending ROMUniverse copyright case and stall in development and the 6th Contest Contest, in the better interest a new fork has been set up and a council has been set up to regulate Zelda Classic development.  They will not have access to the DAT files that AGN once had, though with a later read, it is for the best.  This three-headed Hydra will be addressed in a different post.

The new ZC Council is:

Nightmare - Acting ZC Head

SyrianBallaS - Day to Day Development

Emily - Project Head/Development

Dimi - Developer

Tim/Naturesucks - Advisor/Webmaster/Discord Master/all around good guy

The final decision on a head will be up to the community, but will not be made at this time.  To deal with this mess:

Zoria will continue with his fork.  No one is stopping him.

"Zelda Classic 2.53.1" will be fixed slightly and released as-is."

"Zelda Classic 2.53.2" will be made to run with the 6th Quests and released.  No further long term support for it besides fixing nasty bugs.

The name of the project will then change to "ZC" and all Nintendo 1st party material will then be removed.  There will be one final alpha, "Zelda Classic 2.55 A-F" to hold over, then the devs will get a long-deserved break of six months (they will still be free to work if they choose).  There will be no new feature requests for 2.53.1, 2.53.2, or 2.55 A-F and the New Feature forum is to be suspended immediately.

After the break:

A new tileset and DAT will be introduced and mandatory, which will be worked on during the break.

We will work on original music.  If we can't we will use 3rd party music that's non-Disney.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Quests are out.  The 1st and 2nd Quests are owned by Nintendo, and AlphaDawg is out of contact. 

4th and 5th are being determined.

6th is up to the developers.

As the last of the original three that started the project and the last active, this was going down the rabbit hole and action was warranted.  I will be dealing with the consequences of it and I believe a fork is the path of least resistance.  Chris Miller and War Lord will be informed when the dust settles and all the ducks are put in a row.

Sincerely yours

"Nightmare" James Sorge

• Magi_Hero, Rambly, Nathaniel and 21 others like this

#2 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:27 PM

does this mean that pzc will maintain its affiliation with zelda, or is that outside your sphere of influence

#3 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:32 PM

It's a shame things had to turn out this way, but I think this decision is in everyone's best interests - including Zoria's. Thank you for handling what could be a difficult and awkward situation with professionalism and grace.

does this mean that pzc will maintain its affiliation with zelda, or is that outside your sphere of influence

Not Nightmare, but I would like to point out that very little on PureZC would probably need to change in order to get rid of the Zelda characteristics entirely. Maybe the Triforce in the logo. (the font in the logo's not even from a Zelda game)

• Mani Kanina, Shane, Jared and 3 others like this

#4 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:32 PM

PureZC is free to do whatever it wants.  We are not associated with PureZC, we are our own separate entity now.  If you get taken down by Nintendo, it's your fault.

-James

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:40 PM

There's surely a lot to say about the deteriorating state of development over the past.... while.  I'm sure to anyone that has not been in the Discord sphere, this seems fairly sudden - but this has been a long time coming, and I'm glad that AGN and the dev team reached a unanimous decision on how this should be moved on from.

Emily and Dimi both deserve a lot of credit for hanging in with development over this period and surely deserve however long a break they like.  I want to gives thanks and appreciation to both of them for putting in a lot of time and effort in addressing the feature requests and bug reports from both me and the rest of the ZC community under some really tough circumstances.  I feel very good about the state of continued development with both of you on board and like the rest of the team makeup as well.

• Rambly, DarkFlameSheep, Anthus and 9 others like this

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:41 PM

Not 100% sure I know what's going on (I'm sure I'll be filled in at some point), but if it has to be, it has to be.

Just wanted to say, I'd written some original music in the past that was intended for an Open version of ZC. I dunno if anyone else still has a copy of it, and I never finished MIDI versions of it, but i've got it if it's wanted.
  • Emily likes this

#7 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 02:49 PM

I for one wish Zoria a lifetime of success, riches, and happiness playing Poker Stars 24/7.

Edited by TheManHimself, 16 August 2021 - 02:49 PM.

• Hergiswi, Mitchfork, Aslion and 8 others like this

#8 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:29 PM

I'm not on discord, so I don't really know what's going on, but I'm happy and thankful so much effort and love is still being put into this. I'd like to wish the council the best of luck

Next to that I hope the best for Zoria and am thankful for his contributions over the years!

I am also concerned. Can I continue building my WIP quest made in the latest 2.55 alpha on the forked version? Or will such questions be answered later?

Also, I can help out with the PZC website if any changes are needed to PHP or JavaScript code to remove affiliation with Zelda (I normally do these types of things for work)

Edit:
I did not read this part properly: "There will be one final alpha, "Zelda Classic 2.55 A-F" to hold over, then the devs will get a long-deserved break of six months (they will still be free to work if they choose)."
I suppose this means that my quest will be able to be ported to the new, non-Zelda version of the engine in the future. Great news :-)

Edited by Twilight Knight, 16 August 2021 - 03:32 PM.

• Anthus, Emily and Deathrider like this

#9 Viremaster

Viremaster

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:35 PM

I've just recently got back into ZC after years and years. I'm sorry to hear that there were such problems backstage. I wish everyone involved with the fork the best of luck.

• Emily and Deathrider like this

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 03:38 PM

This has been coming for a while and is a good step forwards to finally commit to a fork. My regards goes out to Emily and Dimi and I wish them much success in the future and what they can bring to ZC, they have done so much already.

• Deedee, Matthew and Emily like this

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:00 PM

So it seems there was a bit of a miscommunication on my part, I'm not actually going to be on the developer council. The new fork still has my full support, but I'm not planning to get that involved in its development. Feel free to strike me from the list, Nightmare.

• Emily likes this

#12 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:01 PM

I will humbly take Moosh's advisor role.

• Rambly, The Satellite, Mitchfork and 4 others like this

#13 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:05 PM

The development council is not limited or required to take members.  It will promote as people deem themselves worthy and operates independently.  In other words, don't ask, just do a good job.

Thank you for your service Moosh to Zelda Classic all these years.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#14 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:07 PM

I have changed my mind since the Discord discussion.  Take 5th, obfuscate it , and smash it into oblivion, in both versions. I no longer want anything to do with ZC. Nothing. I want 5th out and gone, out of mine, and everyone elses memories and misery. I shall follow suit.

#15 peteandwally

peteandwally

chiubicabachiukicaca

• Members

Posted 16 August 2021 - 05:14 PM

Can someone, like (I know this is off topic a little, but maybe not?), record a video going through the repo for the project and just explain what everything is/does, at a high level? I'd be happy to help code, but it's a VAST bit of code. Is something like this out there already?

• Anthus likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users