Photo

Screenshot of the Week 502

Dwarlen Zahalfor Joelmacool12 bmc10011 Lunaria

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 502 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

Zahalfor

Zahalfor.png

What secrets are hiding behind the ice sculpture on this frozen mountain?

Joelmacool12

Joelmacool12.png

Are those mountains going to fall? Quick run away!

bmc10011

bmc10011.png

So many choices. I am so lost.

Dwarlen

Dwarlen.png

Oh-no, Link's been surrounded by dekus!

Lunaria

Lunaria.png

Cookies for those who can guess the music!

• Joelmacool and Matthew like this

#2 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Joel, I'm a sucker for that tileset/palette.

#3 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Tough choice this week.

Zahalfor

The ice sculture is an interesting concept I haven't really seen before.  With that said, the ice looks a little too transparent.  I'm also not a big fan of the screen design (there's very little going on in the bottom-left corner, so why have it at all?).

Joelmacool12

This shot is eerily similar to a screen I made in a long-since-canceled quest.  The screen design is solid if not adventurous.  It seems a little odd the the waterfall would flow beneath the land, but it's not too bothersome. Voted here.

bmc10011

How many choices does the player actually have here? I only see one staircase and one doorway for Link's immediate future. Regardless, every Zelda game should have at least one mindfuck dungeon, so I like the concept.

Dwarlen

I think the water details in this screen would look much better if I could see them animated.  The rest is quite nice: I like the deep but not overly shadowy palette, the subtle details, and the overall mood. A very close second.

Lunaria

I can't say I'm a fan of the colors on this screen. What is going on in the picture?

#4 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

If all else fails, vote for joel.

• Shane, Eddy, Haylee and 2 others like this

#5 justin

justin

Adept

• Members

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Zahalfor, 9 blue enemies awash on a blue tinged screen. The ice entrance is cool, not a pun (or was it?), but it's too transparent. There's not a lot of combat space for 3 blue lynels, and it's made worse by all the solid ground details close too the screen edge. The mountain structure also isn't all that interesting, more than half the screen is basically unwalkable. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly critical, I just really like the idea for the dungeon entrance, but the rest of the screen doesn't live up to that standard.

Joel, I like this, getting hyped for this quest for sure. The water running under the ground like that is highly illogical, but it looks cool, and the palette is nice. I'm hoping a cave or dungeon interacts with these underground rivers. Runner up.

bmc, like this better than your recent dungeon shots. Although I can't help but feel it's a rip off of IoR. I do like the palette, and it looks fun to play. I'm not sure I understand the doors under the arrow tiles. The interactive l perspective of the stairs looks off from the walls.

Dwarlen. Voted. I don't like everything about it, but it's the most appealing of the bunch. I like the dark but somehow bright colours. The structure is different. The vines behind the waterfall are neat, are we climbing sideways off screen, or crossing the water? Else, I'm not sure why we are up here. Maybe a bit too crowded and tight for the number of enemies. The tentacle in the bottom left looks oddly placed to me, but I'm mostly just not a fan of those tiles. What's on top of the player sprite?

Lunaria, it's alright, but not enough to really peak my interest. The colours seem straight out of a crazy nes game. I wish I knew what those coloured stones were about.

#6 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

I'm gonna give my vote to Zahalfor this time. Very nice work on the translucent ice sculpture~

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:26 PM

• Eddy, Haylee, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#8 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

I had a hard time deciding between Zahalfor and Dwarlen, both screens look very good but Dwarlen's looks more natural.

My prediction for this contest from lowest to highest:

Lunaria

It just looks like a mess

Joelmacool12

Too generic, feels like there's a lack of creativity

bmc10011

This is so-so for me but it looks great for a GB style screen, the pallete is spot on!

Zahalfor

Very unique and charming

Dwarlen

It just captures that air of mystery

Edited by GhostKnight22, 06 April 2015 - 03:08 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl and Zahalfor like this

#9 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

Voted Zahalfor. I really like his use of the snowy palette, and his translucent ice sculpture.

• SkyLizardGirl and Zahalfor like this

#10 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:34 AM

Edited by Nexas, 06 April 2015 - 12:35 AM.

• Shane, Eddy, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#11 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:52 AM

Zahalfor - That's a pretty neat screen. I like the snowy palette used for this screen. I guess the only form of critique I could say is that the mountain seems to take up almost everything.

Joelmacool12If all else fails, vote for Joel I really like the past setting here, it looks really neat. The only issues I have is to do with the mountains. The waterfalls should definitely be "rounded off" with walls (look at the way your ladder is done, do it like that), and the ladder should be like the way the waterfalls are. In other words, swap the ladder mountains and the waterfall mountains around... I hope that made sense.

bmc10011 - This shot made me laugh. This is a pretty cool shot, and it reminds me of Silph Co. from the Pokemon series. However, I think the colours are a bit too monotone. You could probably add a bit more colour here and there.

Dwarlen - This is a really nice shot. I like the dark atmosphere and it really makes the screen look mysterious and creepy. Something I've also noticed is that the waterfalls are transparent while the water pools itself isn't, I spy some inconsistency unless this was intended, but still it looks odd. I also spotted a tile error. Over on the waterfall, it seems to be going underneath the grass. I'm not sure if that's even possible.

Lunaria - It looks pretty interesting, though there isn't a whole lot here. The blue mountains look incredibly odd IMO but that's probably just me. Either way though, it's neat.

All in all, I voted for Joelmacool12 this time round. Good job everyone.

Edited by Eddy, 06 April 2015 - 05:53 AM.

• Shane, Joelmacool, SkyLizardGirl and 1 other like this

#12 Zahalfor

Zahalfor

• Members

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I always appreciate good critique. To get the ice sculpture, I simply put the appropriately colored statues on their own layer and made that layer transparent. So, I'm not sure how I'd adjust that. And I agree it is a lot of mountain, but, because of the screens around it, I don't think there's much else I could do with just this screen and still work Bitter Mountain the way its supposed to in Time for the Crown.

@justin-I will take your space concerns with the blue lynels into consideration. This screen is from a quest under construction, so I haven't got to the point of balancing all the enemies out. Thanks for pointing it out, though! :)

As for my excellent competition:

Joelmacool12: Looks very nice. The purple water up topped tricked my eye at first and it took me a little while to realize what it was, but that's probably mostly because I'm not familiar yet with how the different tilesets depict different things :D. Once I realized it was a lake, I saw your screen in proper perspective and have no complaints! Very nicely done.

bmc10011: This looks like a cold dungeon! Wondering if those arrows on the floor mean that Link will slide only in those directions, hmm... :). Looks like the kind of dungeon I could have fun getting lost in :D.

Dwarlen: I am so looking forward to playing the Bordale Wood when you get it finished, brother.

Lunaria: No cookies for me, I guess, I have no clue what the music may be haha. Anyway, I like the layout of the screen. The blue mountains and glowing rocks (if that's what they are) make me think this is some kind of foreign, magical world :).

Again, good job everyone and thanks for sharing the pictures!

• Twilight-Prince, Joelmacool and Dwarlen like this

#13 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Bmc10011's screen looks like it's copied straight from Level 10 of Isle of Rebirth. xD

Not saying that's a bad thing, but I hope to see more creativity from you in the future.

Edited by Avataro, 07 April 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• SyrianBallaS likes this

#14 SyrianBallaS

SyrianBallaS

Defender

• Members

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

Haven't played that quest in awhile, I completely forgot what all the levels looked like in IoR

• Avaro likes this

#15 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

With 40.00% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 502 is Dwarlen!

Dwarlen.png

Congratulations!

Voting totals:

- Zahalfor (11 votes [22.00%])

- Joelmacool12 (13 votes [26.00%])
- bmc10011 (4 votes [8.00%])
- Dwarlen (20 votes [40.00%])
- Lunaria (2 votes [4.00%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dwarlen, Zahalfor, Joelmacool12, bmc10011, Lunaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users