Photo

Opinions on Diagonals (Mountain Collision, Water/Ground Transition)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

So I have been wondering what you think about diagonal mountains and diagonal land/water transitions.

Personally, while I think they oftentimes look better, I don't like how the walkability for diagonal half walkable/half solid tiles is always somewhat clunky and diagonal ground/water transitions technically are not even a thing resulting in being forced into odd design choices where such diagonals are either inaccessable or treated as ground OR water tiles which looks wrong 50% of the time.

On that same note, does anybody know of ways around this? Is there a way to set up true diagonal walkability and ground/water transitions? (Not to mention shallow water/water transitions...)

Edit: The word I was looking for was "collision". Yeah. Also, could a mod please fix the title into something along the lines of "Opinions on diagonals (mountain collision, water transition)" or such? I was too hasty posting this without checking back what I actually wrote. My bad.

Edited by Sheik, 23 August 2018 - 10:15 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#2 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:44 AM

I know this is possible with a script for solid land (walking into a diagonal wall let's you follow it fluidly instead of stopping at 8x8 blocks) as we are using it in One Screen Massacre. I'm pretty sure it was Dimentio who made/ implemented it.

Oh, changed the title for you too. Just curious, if you go to "edit post" then "use full editor", does it not let regular members change their titles? I forget cause I was a "contributor" before a mod for a while, and can't remember if regular members can >.>
  • Deedee likes this

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:17 AM

Oh, nice to know! That's really neat. Any body got any scripter's knowledge on those water diagonals then?

Also - as for editing the title - yes, I see that too, now (in the full editor). My AdBlocker somehow blocks some of PZC's features but I turned it off for the site and now it works like a charm again.

• Anthus likes this

#4 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

Water Diagonals require a slight bit more work; in One Screen Massacre they are possible because I completely rescripted water from the ground up. You need to not use engine water if you want water diagonals.

• Sheik likes this

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Ah, so it can be done in principle (and in practice as well, as you say you did) - nice to know.

• Deedee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users