Photo

Screenshot of the Week 36

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 10 September 2003 - 05:51 PM

Well at least someone understands me. icon_smile.gif
Just believe it when I say that everything in my screenshot is 100% self made from scratch except the boss. But even the boss is enchanged from what it originally was.

And yes, I feel it as an really bad insult when someone says my work is just ripped, or doesn't look good (without telling a good reason). I honestly believe I have spent more time making the tileset of my quest than anyone else making their own. But as we have seen many times here, original and "fresh" pictures don't always win here...

#17 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:28 PM

Petoe gets my vote. it shows a whole lot of commitment! thats all i have to say....no other comments. oh wait one more: dang that golf one is weird icon_razz.gif

#18 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 10 September 2003 - 06:39 PM

yes teh golf one was like...woh!

#19 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(LinktheMaster @ Sep 10 2003, 02:38 PM)
WOW! icon_eek.gif I thought it WAS ripped, and if you worked on it so long and you take it as an insult, then your crazy. To know that you made tiles that look that good, and look like it's from an actual game. Well, than that really deserves recommendation. icon_biggrin.gif

well maybe that's why you need to state that everything is custom drawn in your quest when its finally released? Otherwise people will say it was taken from Chrono Trigger or Mega Man 2 or Super Metroid. (Of which I could point out various screenshots you've shown where all of them could be said to have been ripped from those games) So it makes me wonder if you truly did draw those from scratch or merely resized what was ripped. Its a hard thing to believe. I wasn't necessarily insulting you but I was pointing it out. icon_sigh.gif

#20 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:56 AM

Just to let you know, DFW, the only things I've ripped are the sidescrolling levels and I'm using C's MM tiles in one place. Now you all should know how hard I've worked... I have over 40 pages of tiles already which are 100% self made. Maybe you will appreciate my work when I finally release the tileset for everyone. icon_wink.gif

And I don't feel a need to apologize DFW. It was really rude to say "in fact it's all ripped". icon_sigh.gif If you said something like "I quess it's all ripped..." then I could have politely corrected you. But I hope you understand now why I... exploded earlier.

Oh, and it looks like a really tight battle this week...

#21 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Petoe @ Sep 11 2003, 05:56 AM)
...the only things I've ripped are the sidescrolling levels and I'm using C's MM tiles in one place. Now you all should know how hard I've worked... I have over 40 pages of tiles already which are 100% self made. Maybe you will appreciate my work when I finally release the tileset for everyone. icon_wink.gif

100% self made?

I'll have to disagree. Maybe you made the tiles, but can it really be true that you drew those little green light things from Chrono Trigger factories all yourself? Maybe you did, but it's not 100% because it was heavily inspired. Air Man... I'm very sure is ripped from... was it Windman?... from MM6. Basically the entire dungeon (of which Air Man is the boss) seems to be ripped from Chrono Trigger... where'd you mention that?

Either you forgot to say something, or you're throwing a lot more credit your way than you should be doing.

#22 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 05:15 PM

You'de be surprised Happyman. icon_wink.gif Does it have to be about the graphics, or does the overall quest count? I mean, why should we focus on the graphics of a quest, when there's so gosh darn much behind them! I mean, you (probably - Happyman) tested it, so you know how kicky-a$$y it is. Graphics aren't everything in a quest, I'm happy to say. icon_smile.gif

And so doesn't the SSOTW show off a quest, not the graphics behind the quest? Sure, all people can see ARE the graphics of a quest, but no one sees the actual event behind the graphics. Petoe had a ship, a Wind man boss, and a freaky cool fish thing in his SSOTW submissions. All people saw where the graphics that made up those things. Why? I don't think I have to tell you why.

Keep up the good work Petoe. As for everyone else, I highly suggest you take what I've said into consideration. It'll make us ALL a lot happier in the long run, believe me. icon_wink.gif

#23 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Sep 11 2003, 06:15 PM)
You'de be surprised Happyman. icon_wink.gif  Does it have to be about the graphics, or does the overall quest count?  I mean, why should we focus on the graphics of a quest, when there's so gosh darn much behind them!  I mean, you (probably - Happyman) tested it, so you know how kicky-a$$y it is.  Graphics aren't everything in a quest, I'm happy to say. icon_smile.gif 

And so doesn't the SSOTW show off a quest, not the graphics behind the quest?  Sure, all people can see ARE the graphics of a quest, but no one sees the actual event behind the graphics.  Petoe had a ship, a Wind man boss, and a freaky cool fish thing in his SSOTW submissions.  All people saw where the graphics that made up those things.  Why?  I don't think I have to tell you why.

I honestly wish everyone thought like that... but ever since all my shots were considered bland and my quest "sucks" since it uses Pure Tileset (despite the fact noone besides a few testers has friggin played it!), I really don't have much else to say.

Several people have also continually pushed the fact it's behind the graphics... instead of the gameplay... for screenshot of the week. If I were to try to express my true opinions on what has become of this contest lately... I'd probably be hated and scorned. I honestly did not invision arguing over petty things and automatic dejection of shots because they use a certain tileset in SoTW.

Anyway... I vote for Petoe. There seems to be some rather nice effort in this... like all the other shots this week.

I would have voted for Blonde's shot, but I dunno. It does have some VERY nice effort in it... it's just that the contrast in the greens seems a bit too great. Maybe lighten up the darkest shade of green?

#24 EIHoppe

EIHoppe

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 06:50 PM

Ouch...tough choice this week...they're...all...so...good! >_<

You have Blonde's screenie which is VERY high quality, Darkmatt's who looks good and I've definately never seen it before, definately a plus... icon_wink.gif
Both Petoe's and Prae's are excellent, as per usual...

Too...hard... >_<

*null votes*

#25 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Sep 11 2003, 06:15 PM)
Does it have to be about the graphics, or does the overall quest count?

The overall quest does. I voted based on that, but that argument was based on graphics.

And even though Praethus was the only one without that much original graphics (I note the ML lava), he got my vote, because I vote based on what I visualize the screen gameplay to be like. Plus, I've found that I'm not that big of an original gfx freak as most people, mostly because I find it somewhat hard to concentrate on playing the game. There's always exceptions like ML, which I found to be quite incredible. What I'm saying is that blonde's screen could use a bit... less detail. It's too hard to focus on the gameplay with that much. icon_wink.gif

#26 Blonde799

Blonde799

Senior

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:16 PM

Hmmm, I find it to be the right amount of detail in......Oh gosh, I almost gave it away.... icon_wink.gif

Edited by Blonde799, 11 September 2003 - 07:16 PM.

#27 theplustwo

theplustwo

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:29 PM

well, it is kind of the nature of a screen shot that all it tells is the quality of the graphics.. still, you can usually tell how much effort has been put into a quest from how the screen is layed out.. and what special effects it is using (non-square rooms, etc.)

now i don't pretend to know a helluva lot about zc, but i can see what looks good.. i think i have a pretty good eye for quality work. a good screen shot is a piece of art..

also, if someone submits a screen of just a room with some baddies it gets less points in my book than something really origional such as a custom boss, etc. also, just how fun a certain room looks gets it points too..

i don't like rooms that are just death traps, so i probably wouldn't vote for a screen of one.. so each person's zelda gaming preferences probably sways their vote.

EDIT: by the way, i voted for pratheus because EVERYTHING'S HAPPY UNDERGROUND!!11 -ben folds five icon_razz.gif

Edited by theplustwo, 11 September 2003 - 07:33 PM.

#28 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:43 PM

well, does this mean that when I release a 15 dungeon quest with a massive overworld that has enough screens to comprise up 4 full overworlds and many optional dungeons to explore, that it automatically sucks because I use Pure tileset?

#29 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:51 PM

Yep. That's what ticks me off so much. -_-

#30 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:14 PM

O_o , 3-way tie.