The Forbidden City

• Please log in to reply
632 replies to this topic

#616 mikegonzalez2k

mikegonzalez2k

• Members

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

BUG: CANNOT GET THE ZORA RING

Found a bug preventing me from obtaining the gasha seed that gives me the Zora Ring.
In the very first cave, the room to the right has 3 switches on water that build a bridge when triggered.
You are supposed to trigger them with the slingshot. 

The problem is that skip this room and later get your boomerang which will permanently replace ths slingshot.
One you have the boomerang you can no long activate switches.

I would suggest making these switches triggerable by other items, such as arrows, bombs, hookshot, etc.

#617 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the bug report, I'll fix it whenever I get the chance.

#618 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:46 AM

I'm looking around for the key to get the L2 Ring Box but I have no idea where it is. Been reading back through previous posts and I get the idea that I need the butterfly ring and to find a cave with butterflies in it. That's good and all, but where even is this cave? I tried exploring the whole area around the castle as the hint says and I've found nothing so far. I also do have the Power Glove so I'm certain I can get this now.

Edit: Nevermind, just found it. Had to just be the one screen where I didn't try things on >_>

#619 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:02 AM

The cave is to the right of Urzula's Castle. It is accessed via a secret passage but the entrance should be obvious. There should be lots of butterflies in the cave. You need to be wearing the ring when you get there.

• Eddy likes this

#620 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:19 AM

Out of curiousity what are the cheat codes for The Forbidden City?

Are people permitted to open your quest? If yes what is its password (to The Forbidden City quest)? Great quest by the way.

#621 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:08 PM

Thank you so much to let us enjoy Promised Lands and Forbidden City, I have lots of fun with them. They are at least as good as the oracle games.

I am not really good at giving positive feedback tbh. Like yeah, the game as a whole is great, but because of that, there aren't any good things standing out. It's just all good. ;p

Being nitpicky is far easier though, looking for the tiny things that keep me from seeing the game as perfect. Most of the things are just my personal opinion and I don't know if you actually care, but if you want I can try to give you a review.

#622 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

Out of curiousity what are the cheat codes for The Forbidden City?

Are people permitted to open your quest? If yes what is its password (to The Forbidden City quest)? Great quest by the way.

I normally don't give out the password, but if you want a cheat code I can send one to you via PM. Although if you play on the lowest difficulty, it shouldn't be too difficult to beat the quest.

Thank you so much to let us enjoy Promised Lands and Forbidden City, I have lots of fun with them. They are at least as good as the oracle games.

I am not really good at giving positive feedback tbh. Like yeah, the game as a whole is great, but because of that, there aren't any good things standing out. It's just all good. ;p

Being nitpicky is far easier though, looking for the tiny things that keep me from seeing the game as perfect. Most of the things are just my personal opinion and I don't know if you actually care, but if you want I can try to give you a review.

Thanks! And sure, I'd like to hear your comments.

#623 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

Please tell me where and how to get bow and arrows thank you.

#624 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

I am not ready for a full review yet since I make first notes for that. Like I can't even answer the above question from my memory alone ;p

I am a bit obsessed with graphics and don't like all your palettes. In Promised Lands, the Thief Sprite (outlines) and the palette of the final dungeon (oversaturated) stick out to me because the rest of the game is soo beautiful. I also really like your story, but original charakters (not sprites) would have been cooler imo. They feel at least original. Just my two cents, not even worse any response :P

In promised lands the enemies are very well balanced. I love it. There is this one wizard mini boss that is very interesting, but it was easy to beat before I could even figure out it's attack pattern. The two final bosses are a lot harder then the rest, but also easy exploitable.

The difficulty of the witch is fine (final boss and all), but the best bet for me was to get to the side and hug a wall, with a bit luck you could avoid most attacks that way during the first phase. The man was far more difficult to me, couldn't beat him, the exploit made it easy though: get him stuck in the entrance (keep him in reach), while you yourself are also protected from getting pushed back by hugging the wall. Then slash at him w/o pause while the summoned guards damage you on touch, protecting you from the far higher attack damage.

More later.

#625 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:47 AM

The man was far more difficult to me, couldn't beat him, the exploit made it easy though: get him stuck in the entrance (keep him in reach), while you yourself are also protected from getting pushed back by hugging the wall. Then slash at him w/o pause while the summoned guards damage you on touch, protecting you from the far higher attack damage.

The intended way to beat him (which makes him easy to defeat once you've figured it out) is:

Spoiler

#626 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 21 October 2018 - 03:48 AM

I love The Forbidden City quest

#627 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:10 AM

So a few more things. In FC the money flow is a lot more balanced. I just started level 7 and already have that ring to pay for. You get a lot but also can give out a lot. Just great!

Can't say that about PL. Most of the time, especially to the end, I had endless amounts of money. Main reason were Potions, I could have used them more, but that would have included losing the progress with 1-enemy-left-screens and looking for a potion shop first.

I assume it's a less backtracking-including design in FC? So or so, I would have loved something like a potion contract or so in PL. Something to turn money into a once per screen potion.

(There are actually many quest where I would wish for something similar, like IoR with better potions instead of better armor in easy mode.)

For enemy balancing it's the other way around. I think it would have been better, if the sword in PL would have been given out one dungeon later than the tunic, but overall PL has great difficulty balance.

The dead city in FC is a huge difficulty spike though. It was no fun, just dieing over and over again until I finally got the tunic. After that it is fine again.

#628 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

So finished Forbidden City with 97%, 20 potions, 153deaths and 30h playtime. Was a lot of fun, thank you again.

Are things like rupees also part of the 100percent? I mean the ones in caves, underwater, or as a room item. Didn't pick them up if I had no need.

The final boss was a nice extra challenge, though tbh I changed to easy since I was not really up for a hard fight, typical boss difficulty is enjoyable enough for me.

Then I beat it with the skull ring (cursed ring, right?) on super easy without seeing a change. I also miss the ones right to Goron, Octorok, Crow and Golddigger.

Edited by Chris, 12 November 2018 - 05:54 PM.

• Avaro likes this

#629 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for your comments.

Rupees do not count for the completion %, so you're free to ignore them.

You need to beat the final boss with the cursed ring on normal or hero difficulty to get the special ending. I didn't allow it with the easier difficulty settings, since the challenge provided by the cursed ring would then be negated by the easier difficulty.

In the beta version of the quest, there was no hero mode (wearing the cursed ring was the "hero mode"). So what you had to do was beat the final boss on the highest available difficulty (normal) while wearing the cursed ring. At the time, this was the greatest possible challenge provided by the final boss. But before the quest got released, I was persuaded to add a more traditional hero mode available from the start anyway, so it became possible to play on hero mode AND wear the cursed ring, resulting in some kind of "double hero mode" that even I would find too difficult. I didn't want to force players to go through that to see the special ending, so that's why it still works on normal difficulty.

#630 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

Good that I made a safe copy before, though I doubt I can handle the final boss on normal plus cursed ring. ;p

I assume there are LPs of Forbidden City to see that ending? Also, the hint was a bit troublesome as "or a normal lad" would hint at "only hero mode" and I wasn't sure if the Whisp Ring might be the Skull Ring (he I assumed that might influence the Whisps he shoots).

You could also just make a sloppy ending for easy/very easy "why were we so afraid, even a little kid could beat him" and give the normal ending there as reward.

Hope that doesn't sound like I expect it to be changed, the quest is obviously already great the way it is, just kinda the way I talk ;p

Could you give me a hint where to find the remaining 4 rings? I also aren't sure, what the Bomber Ring does, didn't seem to me like doing more damage.

Could be helpful to have a hint ingame, what's needed for completion. Or to give a book on the right side in the ring shop to show after beating the game where the rings are positioned (just "in an overworld cave" or so, nothing too handholding. Also in a different order, alphabetical.)

My favorite dungeon is level 5 btw, and I think the before final boss in level 6.

My least favorite areas are Kasuto (too high damage) and the Goron Mine (navigating through pits/damage combos while confronted with flame trails, vanishing grounds, shooters and whisp bats, yuck!).

Some more to come, have to look at my notes for that first and not in the mood for it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users