Photo

Screenshot of the Week 651

Dimentio Ganondorf Shoshon the Elegant Anthus xanadude

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 651 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:16 PM

Ganondorf
Ganondorf.png
The waters around here are controlled by lizalfos...

Shoshon the Elegant
Shoshon%20the%20Elegant.png
Prometheus battles Spartans and Shades in the bathroom of level 4, The Chameleon.
AKA The Museum Dungeon.

Anthus
Anthus.png
Or else.

xanadude
xanadude.png
The Seaside Shrine, host of many secrets and dangers, is rumored to shelter a mystical weapon within its depths...

Dimentio
Dimentio.png
The darkness below looms...
  • Cukeman, Joelmacool, Astromeow and 1 other like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

Such a diverse bunch it's impossible for me to compare them, and hard to think of what to say

Ganondorf's screen is very ambitious and mixes graphics from many sources. The large boulder in the water clashes a little bit as it's more geometrical, outline-y and not textured. Just a nitpick.

Shoshon's creativity in his mythology quest continues to impress me, which is why I voted for his screen. Those enemy sprites look great.

I usually don't like 4th wall break humor, but Anthus' screen made me LOL

Xanadude's feels kinda silent and empty to me, in a stark and eery way. Maybe that's what you're going for. If not, something in the water, some creatures or a person would help.

The guards in Dimentio's look really cool, and judging by their size must be scripted, I think. The carpet is also very nice, but I am confused about the large traps- outside of the spotlight they are invisible?

Edited by Cukeman, 26 February 2018 - 10:13 AM.

#3 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:03 AM

The guards in Dimentio's looks really cool, and judging by their size must be scripted, I think

Yup, act like Z3's too.

but I am confused about the large traps- outside of the spotlight they are invisible?

Correct! Any sprite that's not inside a light source is invisible because of limitations with the script. I feel the limitation adds a lot of depth to the gameplay though, as you have to be more cautious about things that might not be seen.

Shoutouts to Moosh and Evan (mainly Evan) for giving me an idea on how to accomplish this effect.

Edited by Dimentio, 26 February 2018 - 07:05 AM.

• Cukeman likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

Ganondorf - Pretty nice shot you have here, I like the setting a lot. Is that thing near the bottom right supposed to be a Lizalfos? (judging from the description) Minor thing, but I'd probably make it green just so it resembles more of the official Zelda Lizalfos. But anyway, nice work on this.

Shoshon - Once again with another unique idea. I never thought I would see a bathroom in a ZC quest :P This looks pretty neat though and I'm interested in seeing how this dungeon develops.

Anthus - This is a good idea lol. What is the grave symbolising?

xanadude - This seems pretty cool, but it feels quite lacking to me. I'd probably try to add a bit more ground detail in places (maybe some rubble, or rocks) and it would look nicer.

Dimentio - I really like this shot. Is this a remake of an Isle of Rebirth screen? I feel like I recognise that screen from the quest. The actual design itself is really cool though. It actually took me a little while to understand what was going on with the big traps down there, but now I realised they are invisible in the dark. I imagine that would be made a lot clearer in-game. Nice work though!

I voted for Dimentio this week.

• Shane and Deedee like this

#5 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:24 AM

Ganondorf: Looks nice. I agree with Eddy on changing the Lizalfos' color.

Shoshon the Elegant: I find my sideways Spartan sprites a little eh. But I think they should work in Classic.

Anthus: Or else what?

xanadude: Nothing to complain about. Just a fine entrance. Is this part of the remake you started?

Dimentio: Looks great. It's a little dark for me. Making it hard for me to make everything else on first glance. But still nice as usual. Invisible traps are great.

I voted for Anthus obviously.
  • Anthus likes this

#6 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

Dimentio - I really like this shot. Is this a remake of an Isle of Rebirth screen? I feel like I recognise that screen from the quest. The actual design itself is really cool though

It sure is! You may recognize it from the final Screenshot: Challenge Accepted. This entire Night section is inspired by Isle of Rebirth, though how it plays out is more inspired by Level 2 from Lost Isle.

• Eddy likes this

#7 Quanta

Quanta

King of Thieves

• Members

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:42 AM

Ganondorf - Pretty nice shot you have here, I like the setting a lot. Is that thing near the bottom right supposed to be a Lizalfos? (judging from the description) Minor thing, but I'd probably make it green just so it resembles more of the official Zelda Lizalfos. But anyway, nice work on this.

Shoshon - Once again with another unique idea. I never thought I would see a bathroom in a ZC quest :P This looks pretty neat though and I'm interested in seeing how this dungeon develops.

Anthus - This is a good idea lol. What is the grave symbolising?

xanadude - This seems pretty cool, but it feels quite lacking to me. I'd probably try to add a bit more ground detail in places (maybe some rubble, or rocks) and it would look nicer.

Dimentio - I really like this shot. Is this a remake of an Isle of Rebirth screen? I feel like I recognise that screen from the quest. The actual design itself is really cool though. It actually took me a little while to understand what was going on with the big traps down there, but now I realised they are invisible in the dark. I imagine that would be made a lot clearer in-game. Nice work though!

I voted for Dimentio this week.

I have multiple lizalfos colours in my quest, but different colours for different areas, and the lower level lizalfos are green.

• Eddy, Cukeman and Architect Abdiel like this

#8 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

I haven't posted in forever, so here goes.

My vote goes to Ganondorf.

Ganondorf - This screen is very aesthetically pleasing. The overall shape of the waterfalls is beautiful and the palette is really nice. I love the look of link and the lizalfos (is that a custom tile?). Overall really sharp.

Shoshon - This is really unique too. I've been following the screenshots for your project and it looks really intriguing. It has a classic Greek mythology feel coupled with some quirky elements like this bathroom scene. I like the custom tiles. My only problem is the middle wall / partition thingy. The perspective looks weird how it's connecting with the ceiling. I can't tell if it's supposed to be an overhang or a dividing wall.

Anthus - This made me the laugh the first time I saw this. With a good number of screens this week a joke shot is always nice.

Xanadude - This shot is really cool and my second favorite from this week. The palette is gorgeous and the feel is nice. I love the seaside look of the temple. The sand elevation on the side is unique too.

Dimentio - For the most part I dig the vibe of the screen. The dark effects, the mysterious feel of the temple with it being in the sky and with the seal on the rug making it look like an important place. Everything works...except for the big traps. Being partially hidden is fine but they stand out real bad with how it cuts off right into the scenery. I understand this is a limitation of the script. I don't understand ZQuest enough but is there a way that they wouldn't take the script and just be in the shadows instead? I think that would look a lot better than partially seeing it lit up but cutting off right into the scenery.

Good turnout this week. Nice job to everyone on their screens.

-スティーブ

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#9 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

Yeah. I see it too sutibu.

It's supposed be a dividing wall. Like one is a men's restroom, and ones is a women's restroom. My main reason for doing it this way was screen space. I don't like covering the screen too much with solid tiles to where it makes the combat claustrophobic.

I may still change it.

But that is a dividing wall. And you walk under the two sections of wall above the door to enter the room.

Thanks by the way.

I'm gonna be sharing another screenshot from this same museum for the next contest.
  • sutibu likes this

#10 sutibu

sutibu

Initiate

• Members

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Yeah. I see it too sutibu.

It's supposed be a dividing wall. Like one is a men's restroom, and ones is a women's restroom. My main reason for doing it this way was screen space. I don't like covering the screen too much with solid tiles to where it makes the combat claustrophobic.

I may still change it.

But that is a dividing wall. And you walk under the two sections of wall above the door to enter the room.

Thanks by the way.

I'm gonna be sharing another screenshot from this same museum for the next contest.

No doubt. I hear ya on not trying to limit gameplay. I think the biggest issue is that the wall is linked to the ceiling tiles. Maybe by cutting off one tile from either side so they're not connected to the ceiling might make it look better. As it is, the perspective is kind of broken as the hero is mismatched with the wall making it look kind of awkward. If it's cut from the ceiling tiles that might fix the perspective issues.

Looking forward to your next screenshot though. Cheers.

#11 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

If you put the door openings directly next to the middle wall it could work better/look less distracting, maybe?

fl8vtw.jpg

Edited by Cukeman, 04 March 2018 - 08:05 AM.

• Anthus and sutibu like this

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

I don't understand ZQuest enough but is there a way that they wouldn't take the script and just be in the shadows instead? I think that would look a lot better than partially seeing it lit up but cutting off right into the scenery.

Unfortunately, not with the version of ZC that I'm using. Bitmaps (the things used to draw nearly all dark room scripts in ZC, as you can cut holes in them to simulate light) cannot be transparent, which is the reason why I used the method I did. 

Actually, on second thought, possibly. I might be able to get something by drawing the traps manually. The problem would be finding a way to make them not jarring when coming into light, but without making them easily visible in the darkness.

• sutibu likes this

#13 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

New screenshot of the week? It's Tuesday : 0

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

There would be but I only had gotten 2 entries, even after I had said I need more on the SotW announcement thread, so it won't happen until this next Sunday. Sorry, 3 is the minimum I'll post it with.

• nicklegends, strike and Cukeman like this

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

Does SotW usually stay open till then? :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dimentio, Ganondorf, Shoshon the Elegant, Anthus, xanadude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users