Reclamation

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 Arathorn21st

Arathorn21st

Junior

• Members

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi everyone, for those of you don't remember me, I was semi-active in 2004 and 2005, learning about making quests. Reclamation is the result of many periods of off-and-on work (I didn't work on it at all from mid 2005 to early 2007).

Reclamation is a full-length quest (9 dungeons, 1 16x8 overworld, 3 mini-dungeons) designed in the Pure tileset. It's the product of about one year of actual work, although I started making it in 2004.
The focus of Reclamation is on gameplay above all else. There aren't too many custom graphics, fancy ZC tricks, or heart-wrenching storylines. However, I hope that the overall design of the quest (the dungeon design in particular) delivers a great Zelda experience. icon_biggrin.gif
The difficulty should be comparable to some of Mr. Z's quests, like Link's Birthday DX. It should definitely be easier than quests like MMDWR:DC and Hidden Duality.

Story!
The story of Reclamation begins as Link defeats Ganon (the circumstances behind this fight are unknown). When Link lands the final blow on Ganon, he suddenly blacks out, and falls into a strange land...
Start playing to find out more!

Screenshots!
IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image

Download!
There are 2 difficulties; Easy Mode is for people who haven't played Zelda in a long time. If you're a PureZC member, you'll most likely want to play Normal Mode.

The quest should be hosted by PureZC and AGN soon, hopefully.

Have fun! I'll be monitoring the boards a bit more, now, so post away!

#2 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:16 AM

Not that bad, man. While many of your screens have somewhat bad design, there are many screens that are worth saying that they look good, such as the ones just north of the forest. Your overworld design works well too. Pay heed to the Official Screenshot thread, and you'll find what really good design is, and you'll get better at it. Then the quest will look almost as good as it plays.

The gameplay of the quest so far for me, has gone pretty well, I'm only at the first dungeon but I like how you have characterized all of the merchants, making it easier to remember which one is which. The reasonable prices from the info dude was really nice too. And the music, it is JAMMING, man. I love it.

So far, the quest plays as well as it does for me, I'd give it 4-5 stars. However, now you need to work on screen design, making every single screen as nice as possible to look at. It really pays off, and it grabs attention to potential players, even though it is a bit more work, keep that in mind when you work on your next project.

#3 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

Nuvo's right. Screen design is the key. Recently it seems that quests have to have all the detail and screen design they can get to be popular. So BTW, did you submit this to the database?

edit: oh, oops. Didn't see that you said that you'd be putting them on PureZC and AGN.

Edited by ZebraStallion, 13 April 2008 - 08:37 AM.

#4 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

icon_smile.gif Screenshots look really good. The fact that you've made 2 versions should make everyone happy. Hopefully it will be available soon.

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 13 April 2008 - 09:17 AM.

#5 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

It's a really good quest. I have beaten two levels and explored great deal of the overworld. The Knight Cave got me frustrated (the darknuts at the end with too few place) but I will continue playing. I like the new tiles. Altough HCs, HCPs and Triforce pieces look funny.

#6 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

icon_smile.gif Just finished level 1. Definitely a winner here Arathorn1st. Had a bit of trouble with the first block puzzle but finally figured it out. Getting the Master Key took a while too but it was fun figuring it out. Not too frustrating but hopefully as I go further I won't be crying...LOL
BTW For people who don't want to wait for this quest to come out here it's already available at zeldaclassic.com

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 13 April 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#7 Arathorn21st

Arathorn21st

Junior

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I knew basically when I started this quest that my screen design (and artistic skills in general) is poor. This is probably why I stopped working on the quest for so long; in mid 2005, quests like MMDWR:DC were released and I just thought "wow, nothing I make will ever live up to this..."

But in early 2007 I opened up the quest again, and started a policy of doing 3 dungeon screens or 1 overworld screen per day, until it was done. I also didn't post on forums because I knew that would be just a distraction (after all, I'm in college and almost always have a huge workload... icon_frown.gif )

In my opinion, the visual design should be passable enough for most people to deal with it. If all that people complain about is that my overworld skills aren't up to par, then I'm happy. icon_smile.gif

#8 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

icon_wacky.gif I'm going crazy now in level 3. The Knight's Cave wasn't too bad but the 3rd level........ icon_cry.gif Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

P.S. Finally finished off those Necro Mancers..... they were quite nasty. Done most of level 4. Got the treasure, compass and the Boss key. I'm now walking in circles looking for the way to the boss door. I can see a key door and the boss door but can't figure out the way there. I've got both keys and the clue about torches but still walking in circles.
Please somebody tell me what I'm missing.
Thanks in advace,
ms_zelda_lady

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 14 April 2008 - 10:24 AM.

#9 Arathorn21st

Arathorn21st

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

One of the guys in Level 4 tells you that you can walk behind torches. Think about where it would make sense to hide something behind a torch (or just walk behind all of them until you find it...)

Edit 3 seconds later: Oh, you already found the torches clue. As a further hint, the torch you need to walk behind is very near the entrance to the dungeon.

Edited by Arathorn21st, 14 April 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#10 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the help. I finally finished the Outpost. Is the blue mail available now or do I have to wait a little longer? Also if you can point me in the direction of level 5 it would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 14 April 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#11 Arathorn21st

Arathorn21st

Junior

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

You won't be able to get the blue mail until you get the hookshot, which is in level 8. The red mail isn't in this quest.

Level 5 is in the southeast corner of the map (screen 5F).

#12 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

icon_eek.gif Level 8....I can only hope I make it there. Thanks for letting me know where level 5 is. The only problem I now have is finding a raft? Although I see the dock at the southeast clorner, I tried the whistle in a few spots nearby but nothing worked. So where is the raft hiding?

Edited by ms_zelda_lady, 15 April 2008 - 05:40 PM.

#13 ms_zelda_lady

ms_zelda_lady

Warrior

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:21 PM

icon_cry.gif It's been more than 24 hours so this is not a double post. I'm still stumped trying to figure out where the raft is. Surely I can't be the only one playing this game.
So if anyone knows where the raft is please pm me or post with the answer.
Thanks in advance,
ms_zelda_lady

#14 Brandon

Brandon

Junior

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

I don't get this room.
IPB Image

For the raft in level 5:
Top left corner near the wind wizzrobe

Edited by Brandon, 15 April 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#15 Arathorn21st

Arathorn21st

Junior

• Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

Brandon, take a look at the map for Floor 1. You need to push the blocks such that the rooms covered by each block have something in common. You'll notice that there's an unpushable block in the square representing the room you're currently in, so there are four rooms that have something in common with the puzzle room...

ms_zelda_lady, you need 2 keys to get the raft, I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users