Photo

Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #107

Moosh

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should win? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:09 AM

Whoa! It's that Moosh guy. It's that guy who used to post S:CA once every n weeks where n is a random positive integer typically greater than 2. Yes indeed it is. Shane has decided to step down from hosting S:CA and so I'm here again to fill in for him. So without further ado, let's get riiiiiiiiight into the voting!

Requirements:

• Create a screenshot based on a strong emotion you had somewhere during your life. A moment of anger, fear, happiness... any emotion.
  • You may use any tileset, even classic.

Entries:

Moosh
19eQyyr.png
What lies beyond the door? Hope or despair?

NewJourneysFire
ZRepye1.png
Getting through life as an adult is like...

Maikeru D. Shinigami
ySKYBKx.png
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Joelmacool

urFejm9.png

Anger.

• Rastael, Shane, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

I feel it NJF... :( You win.

#3 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Humans Are Dangerous! - SkyLizardGirl

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

Moosh  =  Subcon lies behind, or freddy.

NewJourneysFire = Darknut penetration puzzle.

Maikeru D. Shinigami = A castle of statues = Excludia a fairy and a hungry fire spitting flower.

Joelmacool  = Those dark caves in that hot hot temper.

----

Maikeru D. Shinigami  for statue arrangement or  NewJourneysFire For the purple tasty darknuts..??

NewJourneysFire For the purple tasty darknuts.<3

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 20 May 2017 - 02:36 AM.

#4 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Moosh - Pretty nice and simplistic shot, though as far as a screenshot contest goes, I feel maybe it's a bit too empty with nothing much going on. I think I get the theme behind this one though, so it's pretty neat (something about emptiness maybe?)

NewJourneysFire - Assuming the theme here is confusion, then this shot pretty much summarises what I'm going through right now with University hell and exams all at the same time lol. Screen itself is alright, but fits the theme pretty well.

Maikeru D. Shinigami - I guess it's kinda obvious this one is meant to be the feeling of exclusion? Definitely fits well with the screen, though as far as a screenshot contest goes, the weird water pits on the top-right don't fit too well with the water current at the top and the shallow water at the bottom. I'd probably make both sides water currents going into it, but that's just me. Also I see Sprite CSets being used on the right side which generally is a turn off for me as I'd rather see real palettes used like on the left side of the screen :P

Joelmacool - I definitely know this theme very well and also fits the screen nicely too. The screenshot itself looks very nice and I really love how you associated anger with lava and a general red theme.

NJF and Joel's screens and themes definitely connect with me more than the other two, but I really like Joel's shot so I'm going for him this week.

• Joelmacool likes this

#5 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:58 AM

I'm noticing the running theme here is screens without much gameplay. I suppose it's hard to come up with much of anything given the theme. I think Joel's is my favorite of the bunch.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Joelmacool, NewJourneysFire and SkyLizardGirl like this

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

Joelmacool - Lava, wild and furious landscape, the lava's color, it fits the anger-theme quite well. But at the same time it looks just like a typical ZC-vulcano-area and the trees with their calm faces don't really support the theme. In other word if I would have seen the screen elsewhere the feeling of anger wouldn't have come to mind. Then again, if you evoke your own anger (and the screen is helpful for that), you can direct it at them ;)

Maikeru D. Shinigami - I agree with Eddy regarding the right side, escpecially the colors I don't like. Is it like a "cold" other side that pushes you away while your own inner side is wild, enraged and short from falling apart? What does the right side stand for anyway, an actual person that supports you, like your mom? Or religious beliefs to summon up strength from? I have to say you illustrated the situation greatly (and I suppose the feeling of exclusion is just one part of the emotions you want to show?), but it is really rather a situation that is easy to understand (bound to create the fitting emotions) than showing an actual emotion. Also the text feels a bit like cheating, it covers part of the troublsesome (poorly made) side and it is different to having the text below the picture since it is important to bind it to the right side. Then again you can just create a string like that (if it isn't already).

NewJourneysFire - It again illustrates rather a situation, that very well though. I leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which fits well since soo many things can go wrong. The screen itself though looks just chaotical and painful to play through, emotional it is at best confusing and even with the text below - that helps a lot - it is rather interpreting than feeling.

Moosh - Winner for me this "week". The screen itself really isn't that strong, but it is the only one that emotionally touched me, even without reading the text below. I have to say that these kind of situations fascinate me a lot since it is a tricky one for me. To open the door to clearly improve my own life would include destroying my family and ruining their lifes, so I don't open it.

Edited by Naru, 20 May 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

I voted for Moosh, too. I agree that it would be a better presentation without the text below: it speaks for itself.

#8 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Database Staff

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

Moosh  =  Subcon lies behind, or freddy.

Maikeru D. Shinigami = A castle of statues = Excludia a fairy and a hungry fire spitting flower.

Joelmacool  = Those dark caves in that hot hot temper.

----

Maikeru D. Shinigami  for statue arrangement or  NewJourneysFire For the purple tasty darknuts..??

NewJourneysFire For the purple tasty darknuts.<3

In biblical terms, one may say "Don't turn back."

Moosh - Pretty nice and simplistic shot, though as far as a screenshot contest goes, I feel maybe it's a bit too empty with nothing much going on. I think I get the theme behind this one though, so it's pretty neat (something about emptiness maybe?)

NewJourneysFire - Assuming the theme here is confusion, then this shot pretty much summarises what I'm going through right now with University hell and exams all at the same time lol. Screen itself is alright, but fits the theme pretty well.

Maikeru D. Shinigami - I guess it's kinda obvious this one is meant to be the feeling of exclusion? Definitely fits well with the screen, though as far as a screenshot contest goes, the weird water pits on the top-right don't fit too well with the water current at the top and the shallow water at the bottom. I'd probably make both sides water currents going into it, but that's just me. Also I see Sprite CSets being used on the right side which generally is a turn off for me as I'd rather see real palettes used like on the left side of the screen :P

Joelmacool - I definitely know this theme very well and also fits the screen nicely too. The screenshot itself looks very nice and I really love how you associated anger with lava and a general red theme.

NJF and Joel's screens and themes definitely connect with me more than the other two, but I really like Joel's shot so I'm going for him this week.

That begs the question of whether exclusion is the emotion or the theme?

I actually saw the pits as mini waterfalls. And the CSet5 contrasts purposefully by design.

Joelmacool - Lava, wild and furious landscape, the lava's color, it fits the anger-theme quite well. But at the same time it looks just like a typical ZC-vulcano-area and the trees with their calm faces don't really support the theme. In other word if I would have seen the screen elsewhere the feeling of anger wouldn't have come to mind. Then again, if you evoke your own anger (and the screen is helpful for that), you can direct it at them ;)

Maikeru D. Shinigami - I agree with Eddy regarding the right side, escpecially the colors I don't like. Is it like a "cold" other side that pushes you away while your own inner side is wild, enraged and short from falling apart? What does the right side stand for anyway, an actual person that supports you, like your mom? Or religious beliefs to summon up strength from? I have to say you illustrated the situation greatly (and I suppose the feeling of exclusion is just one part of the emotions you want to show?), but it is really rather a situation that is easy to understand (bound to create the fitting emotions) than showing an actual emotion. Also the text feels a bit like cheating, it covers part of the troublsesome (poorly made) side and it is different to having the text below the picture since it is important to bind it to the right side. Then again you can just create a string like that (if it isn't already).

NewJourneysFire - Most likely last place in my eyes. It again illustrates rather a situation, that very well though. I leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which fits well since soo many things can go wrong. The screen itself though looks just chaotical and painful to play through, emotional it is at best confusing and even with the text below - that helps a lot - it is rather interpreting than feeling.

Moosh - Winner for me this "week". The screen itself really isn't that strong, but it is the only one that emotionally touched me, even without reading the text below. I have to say that these kind of situations fascinate me a lot since it is a tricky one for me. To open the door to clearly improve my own life would include destroying my family and ruining their lifes, so I don't open it.

The ship's hull is scaling the tip of the iceberg, but the ship isn't letting on water quite yet.

#9 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

Just a little note since some people commented on how my screen would actually play out. I'm pretty sure my block puzzle is pretty much impossible. It was not tested what so ever. I never really tried to make something actually functional here. It's a 100% theme focused image. In fact, function was so not my intent that there are actually no real enemies on this screen. The darknuts, bubbles, swords, and Link are all FFCs. lol

Update: As to what that theme actually is. It's a mix of confusion, frustration, cringe, and just general wtf we experience through our adult lives. Life can be seriously messed up, just as messed up as this image. :P

#10 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Database Staff

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Just a little note since some people commented on how my screen would actually play out. I'm pretty sure my block puzzle is pretty much impossible. It was not tested what so ever. I never really tried to make something actually functional here. It's a 100% theme focused image. In fact, function was so not my intent that there are actually no real enemies on this screen. The darknuts, bubbles, swords, and Link are all FFCs. lol

I was going for the theme here as well. In fact, I found some critique on mine rather absurd for an emotion theme. I feel if we are going for functionality or screen design this is not the theme to do it with.

Not that it can't be done. I could absolutely make mine functional in a full quest.

Edited by Maikeru D. Shinigami, 20 May 2017 - 11:00 AM.

#11 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

I just noticed the irony of the HPC in Joel's image. Was it intentional I wonder? As a way to say "Love is Anger".

• Joelmacool likes this

#12 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:25 AM

I was going for the theme here as well. In fact, I found some critique on mine rather absurd for an emotion theme. I feel if we are going for functionality or screen design this is not the theme to do it with.

It is not like I disagree with you, but wouldn't it be weird to completly ignore how the screen actually looks in a screenshot contest? Also, for me the theme is rather fulfilled if the screenshot itself gives me the intended feeling. Not because of some symbols that I don't even understand. For example, a picture that shows happy colors, flowers, a lively day with seemingly happy people will give me the feeling of happiness. Maybe of saddnes since I don't have it and so on, but you get what I mean, it is a happy picture that brings me happiness. But this picture could include many symbols that stand for the opposite of happiness, likely if the artist wants to demonstrate the difference between the truth and how it seems. Still, as long as I don't know about these symbols it shows a happy picture to me. :teehee:

I actually "ignored" quite a lot. The raft, square of grass, big fairy, the small path and the flower on the right as the small arrow on the left. I am sure they have a good meaning, but I have no idea what these symbols could mean. The "Excludia" I didn't even see, didn't give any attention to the subscreen. But Excludia isn't supposed to be a ship, right? :sweat:

The ship's hull is scaling the tip of the iceberg, but the ship isn't letting on water quite yet.

I mean that is just methaphorical? Otherwise I don't get it. Not that I am sure I get it if meant metaphorical. Or if I get your comment to SkyLizardGirl. And the song-text, is it just fitting here or does it hint at the rest of the song-text? It is shocking enough that I know that this is part of a new song, but no idea which one, from whom or how the text goes. Or does your entry actually even has a positive side, with a focus how you stand up and fight in that situation? Your entry is the most concrete and people are bound to get interested, but guessing about what someone had/has to suffer through in detail isn't something nice to do. Not that I have any problem with it if you keep it to yourself and amuse yourself how the common folk is overchallenged with your artistic vision :D ;)

#13 Shoshon the Elegant

Shoshon the Elegant

White Tiger King!

• Database Staff

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

It's a reference to the saying about "the tip of the iceberg". It means that you have gotten a grasp on the symbolism in the screen, but much is left to discover.

I suppose it is also a bit absurd for me to create an abstract piece with several symbols and not think about the fact that the symbols wouldn't be interpreted or seen in the way I imagine them.

There is symbolism all over the place. And many of the pieces have multiple symbols. There's a reason for the raft, the plant, the fairy, the singing man, the map name, the fact that Link only has one heart remaining.

I will agree though, that technically speaking the left side looks much nicer. And I'd love to create an entire area in that style. In fact, I might use this palette for my Castle Town now.
And while I understand that it has to be judged as a screenshot, I feel that theme outweighs minor issues in a contest about themes.
Not that I would normally disagree with the critique. I suppose it's unfair cause I know the vision in my mind.
Though I was intending for the viewer to find their own emotion.

This is both a vision on exclusion and the various emotions it causes, and representation of two biblical stories.
Sodom and Gomorrah (aka the Don't turn back message I sent to SkyLizardGirl) on the left, and Noah's Ark on the right side.

• Naru likes this

#14 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

JMC

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

I just noticed the irony of the HPC in Joel's image. Was it intentional I wonder? As a way to say "Love is Anger".

Yep, this was intentional :)

• Demonlink likes this

#15 Demonlink

Demonlink

Experienced Quest Developer

• Members

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

The submissions turned out better than I expected. At first, I thought the challenge would have been a bit difficult to express, but all of you lovely people nailed it.

Moosh: I feel this one, and the shot itself sets the mood necessary to capture the tense feel of it. Nice idea.

NewJourneysFire: Fuck, don't scare me too early. I'm about to be 20 this year, and with your shot, it makes me want to be forever young. Love the way you expressed it as well.

Maikeru D. Shinigami: The in shot text gives a more subtle hint on your take for the challenge. In a certain way, I see what you tried to express here. I dunno, but I took it as "a division between the majority and you". By the string, I can imagine Link did a certain sacrifice for the good of these people, but they thought the opposite and now they hate him all except Zelda. Excellent interpretation and the layout is quite nice.

Joelmacool: Fire, intensity, anger, love. Man, this shot is burning with emotion! (Pun intended). New Newfirst certainly was a good choice to use in your shot, I digs it. I digs it very much. But no purple trees, 0/10.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Moosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users