Photo

Screenshot: Challenge Accepted #105

NewJourneysFire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should win? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your favorite

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Requirements:

• Recreate the following screen using any tileset excluding Classic:

bHqelfW.png

Entries:

NewJourneysFire
UfJeIXM.png
I wonder what this lever does! Should I pull it or leave it alone? Pull it of course!

rGUmGmM.png

Let us just assume the Heart Container is behind the waterfall.

Anthus

Ckr0vjW.png

Yup.

Current Challenge:

• Create a dungeon and overworld hybrid! A dungeon that heavily encompasses nature or an overworld that heavily encompasses dungeon elements are both allowed. You can even make something that blurs the line between dungeon and overworld.
Our current place in the rotation is in red:
Spoiler

#2 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

NewJourneysFire - Really nice shot. Quite similar to the previous entry, but I like the icy water to the right which is a nice alternative to raft tiles.

Avataro - This looks like a cool cave setting. I like the details and I'm going to guess that the leaf over on the right acts like a raft or something (like in the Minish Cap or the Wind Waker). Nice job.

Anthus - Not going to lie, I'm not really a huge fan of this one this week. I guess you could say it's because of my bias against Koten, but the floor tiles here kinda look like they don't fit with each other, I'd probably stick with just one kind of floor tile so it looks better. The pillars next to the top door also look really out of place, and I'm not a huge fan on the green water (unless this is supposed to be some kind of toxic sewer setting or something, then it's fine).

I voted for NJF this week.

• Anthus and Avataro like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, honestly, I couldn't really get the floor looking quite how I wanted. I used stock palettes, and only edited one tile (the divider on the edge of the water) since I made this just to get the contest started. I was more or less trying to re-create the screen tile for tile, which isn't always the best idea, but laziness happened. :P

NJF's looks pretty coo-- dammit, I gotta stop with the 'cools' on these winter shots! My only nit-pick would be the water under the ice makes it look like the ice is hovering over it. I really like the walls in Avataro's, dunno if they are stock, or custom walls, but nice job either way.

• Eddy likes this

#4 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

I really like your shot this week Anthus. I'm actually surprised at how things turned out because I would have voted yours if I were looking at this as an outsider. I've NullJourneysFired of course because because I'm in the contest. 

Also, I'll take that criticism to try and improve this ice dungeon overall. I felt as well the snow looked kinda odd and unnatural with what's provided with the tileset, but I may be able to find a way to fix this. 

#5 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

Anthus - looks nice, the tile error on the doors up is rather obvious though. And I think you failed the challenge. It is another tileset and you did not a 100% copy, but a rebirth-challenge from classic to koten is for me the same like recoloring the original classic screen.

Avataro - best screen, a bit confused about the theme though and a bit too different from the original layout.

NewJourneysFire - a very interesting and a harmonic screen that stays close to the original. Voted here.

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

And I think you failed the challenge. It is another tileset and you did not a 100% copy, but a rebirth-challenge from classic to koten is for me the same like recoloring the original classic screen.

I actually once re-birthed a classic using a TRIFORCE screen which is almost as classic as you can get and Shane said it was a pass. I had to ask first because it did feel like cheating in a way. 

• Naru likes this

#7 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

I don't mean failed like cheating. I mean the contest is about how good the screen looks and how good it fulfilled the challenge and while I like Anthus' screen, it is too similar to the original to look at it as a rebirth in my opinion.

#8 Shane

Shane

Average Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

NewJourneysFire wins with 68.42% of the vote. Congrats!

UfJeIXM.png

Final Results:

• NewJourneysFire (13 votes [68.42%])
  • Anthus (3 votes [15.79%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NewJourneysFire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users