Sertraline Weekly Update #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi. Welcome back to round 2 of my weekly update series! So far we have a perfect (1/1) record for pushing out updates on-time!

Unfortunately, there's just not that much to this update. I've been wrappping up my senior engineering project, and that's gotten in the way of progress this week. However, I hope that the quality of the content outweighs the quantity.

Mainly what I've been working on in the past week is overworld design. I've been mapping out parts of Sertraline's world in my spare time away from the computer, and have been working on building screens in the wasteland area of the quest, The Spiderland. The Spiderland extends from the east part of Curtain Beaches to the southern edge of Razorwood. It also connects to Chifferobe Road. Here's a map of what has been built so far, including the whole of Curtain Beaches:
Posted Image

And here's a gridded map of the whole overworld:
Posted Image

I'm experimenting a bit with The Spiderland- the first time the player navigates it, they'll have to go through an extensive cave network to ascend, but there will be switches that extend staircases and bridges on the overworld once they've cleared each of the caves. This means that the player will effectively "landscape" the area, making it easy to traverse later in the game.

Otherwise, I've been working on making everything "playable" in Curtain Beaches. This involves some scripting work (which I haven't gotten to yet) and some interior design, which I'm working through. One of the shops in Curtain Beach is an all-green vegetable shop run by Rachel (Rambly). The vegetables function as healing items in Sertraline- the Bell Pepper acts like a fairy, and the Cucumber acts like a Z1 potion. I'm working on adding to the shop script so that the game will prevent you from buying healing items that you can't hold, which isn't a big deal but adds a bit of polish I think.

Anyway, here are some shots from the Greenery Grocery. The cats bounce around a la this script.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Also, the potion graphics are just placeholders until we can get some real cucumber graphics. I can't sprite worth a damn so I completely failed to make good cucumbers. ;~;

And of course, here's the song of the week.
Medicine - A Short Happy Life - Shot Forth Self Living [1992]
EDIT: It appears the song has been taken down from YouTube, so here's a link to tumblr:
http://carcinozaire....ost/49105758798

#2 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

That is amazing. The screen design supplimented by custom palettes makes this one of the nicest GB maps out there.

#3 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

I have no words. Simply beautiful. The shop looks great as well. I am so looking forward to this. Every area is perfection!

#4 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

shitty song kill yourself Posted Image

I like spiderland so far

#5 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:19 AM

UPDATE: Setraline now has cucumbers.

Err, what I meant to say is that Setraline now has cucumbers this a very nice update. I am still loving all of the ~whimsy~ that goes into this quest. Looking at the life bar I am assuming you are going for 5 dungeons?

#6 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Can't listen to the song of the week: the video isn't available because it includes UMG content =(

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I put the song on Tumblr instead. :( Dumb old UMG. Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

#8 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

However, I hope that the quality of the content outweighs the quantity.

Of course it does; my cats are in it!

The map looks beautiful, as always :3 And I find the idea behind Spiderland really fascinating gameplay-flow-wise, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users