Sertraline Weekly Update #1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Hi. Welcome to my humble update! I'm Mitch (also known in some circles as Ebola Zaire), and I'm the author of Sertraline, a Zelda Classic 2.50 quest. This is the first installment of the Sertraline Weekly Update Series! My intention is that a structured update schedule will motivate me to complete this project in a more timely manner and keep all of my project followers as up-to-date on progress as possible.

Because it's the very first, this progress topic will focus on the overall features and status of the quest. In future topics I'll pretty much only comment on the progress I've made that week. This is also a chance for you to ask anything you want about the project, and I'll do my best to answer you. :)

Sertraline is a shortish, storyish quest that evolved out of Tone of Voice, a project that Robin (Migokalle) and I worked on briefly. Tone of Voice could never quite make it out of the gate, but I kept working on the file until I had something new and uniquely mine. This is that project!

Sertraline is intended to be a light-hearted, easy-paced quest. I'm aiming for something with about the difficulty of an average Zelda game. I hope that each player will be challenged and feel rewarded, but I also want each player to be able to complete the game without being frustrated, whatever their skill level (reasonably speaking).

The tileset being used is EZGBZ v1 - I prefer the organization over v2. There are several additions to the set; I've replaced most of the default Game Boy trees and the palettes have been reworked to be brighter, poppier, and generally more aesthetically pleasing. The sprite palettes have also been edited to work with the new level palettes.

Probably the most significant gameplay factor that separates Sertraline from other quests is the enemy scripting. I picked up some coding skills during my absence from ZC and I've found that there have been a lot of resources (mainly ghost.zh) that make a lot of things very simple to execute. I've coded mostly Z4 behavior to replace common enemies like Moblins, Octorocks, Zols, Keese, etc. Walkers are no longer bound to the grid. I wanted to really overcome the feeling that you're playing a modified Z1, and a lot of that is in the enemy behavior. There are also a few brand-new enemies scripted that take advantage of the Z-axis to force Roc's Feather usage in fights, which adds more item-driven gameplay.

Ghost.zh has also been used to add non-combat NPC's to the game. Animals such as dogs, flies, and birds have been added to make the game more ~whimsical~!

All of the music tracks in the quest so far have been SNES SPC files. I think that using enhanced music is almost always going to sound better than MIDI and sourcing all of them from the same console lends a nice, consistent feel to the soundtrack. There are currently no plans to add MIDI support as backup, unfortunately. SPC files take up minimal space so I don't think it will be an issue for people (as long as you know to just keep them in the same folder as the .qst). I may add MIDI support later if the need for it is significant.

Here are some screenshots to build ~Sertraline Hype~!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And here's the song of the week, for your listening pleasure.
Boards of Canada - Music is Math - Geogaddi [2002]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o

#2 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I love a quest "Serpentlime". Good job on your quest.

In all seriousness, this is probably the quest I'm most excited for besides maybe Fairy Dream, and it's good to see that you've been picking up the pace on it. I really love the palette work! I hope that you actually finish this! Hype!

Also I'm in it :cat:

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Ah, I've been waiting for this project to get a proper announcement. I've already told you what I think about the project the other day, but since I have played it maybe someone else might find it interesting to read what my impression was.

Overall, I have to say that Sertraline is the project I am looking forward to the most at the moment. It is beautifully designed (which is kind of standard for your work, so no suprises here), the scripting is solid and I haven't encountered any bugs yet (good job on the polishing). The best thing about Sertraline, though, is that it doesn't "try so hard", like so many of the projects nowadys do (especially since your old BoE-projet totally falls for that "grimdark"-ZC Quest-cliche, as you've put it). Sertraline has character and atmosphere, the world is bursting with life (literally - there are butterflies flying around the village, dogs walking along, etc). I kind of got the impression that every character in the quest was enjoying their stay at Curtain Beach, which made me bond with the game world far more than any burning-village-intros have been able to in ZC.

Nothing but praise from me here. I also appreciate that you are taking the extra mile and give the palettes and items etc. a graphical overhaul. It makes things feel fresh and new, without loosing it's GB Zelda nostalgia factor.

Here's a question though: What does the word 'Sertraline' mean, actually?

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I love a quest "Serpentlime". Good job on your quest.

In all seriousness, this is probably the quest I'm most excited for besides maybe Fairy Dream, and it's good to see that you've been picking up the pace on it. I really love the palette work! I hope that you actually finish this! Hype!

Also I'm in it :cat:

Serpentlime is not THE NAME OF THIS QUEST. IT'S SERTRALINE. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes, you are in this quest! Maybe there will be more about you next update as I script some things related to you!

Overall, I have to say that Sertraline is the project I am looking forward to the most at the moment. It is beautifully designed (which is kind of standard for your work, so no suprises here), the scripting is solid and I haven't encountered any bugs yet (good job on the polishing). The best thing about Sertraline, though, is that it doesn't "try so hard", like so many of the projects nowadys do (especially since your old BoE-projet totally falls for that "grimdark"-ZC Quest-cliche, as you've put it). Sertraline has character and atmosphere, the world is bursting with life (literally - there are butterflies flying around the village, dogs walking along, etc). I kind of got the impression that every character in the quest was enjoying their stay at Curtain Beach, which made me bond with the game world far more than any burning-village-intros have been able to in ZC.

Yes, I think that there is a tendency with a lot of quests (and video games in general) to assume that anything that's worthwhile must be very serious and I want to buck that trend a bit. And yeah, I was definitely part of that with my first real project, but maybe I can make amends with this one. :)

Nothing but praise from me here. I also appreciate that you are taking the extra mile and give the palettes and items etc. a graphical overhaul. It makes things feel fresh and new, without loosing it's GB Zelda nostalgia factor.

Yes, I have what I would call a minor perfectionist streak and I think that's really good for the little details here. I appreciate the small things when I play other people's quests and I hope you all will appreciate the small things when you play mine.

Here's a question though: What does the word 'Sertraline' mean, actually?

Sertraline HCl is an antidepressant that's usually marketed under the names Zoloft and Lustral. Without going into too much detail, I was on it for about a week earlier this year- it works for some people but I really hated it and quit taking. I think that it's a very pretty name though and I think that "antidepressant" is really the mood I'm shooting for in the quest.

#5 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:27 AM

Awesome. Hell, even the song of the week was well chosen ;)

I like everything but the menu. Fuck that menu.

#6 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Awesome. Hell, even the song of the week was well chosen ;)

I like everything but the menu. Fuck that menu.

I appreciate the song comment. :) What do you mean by menu, though? D: Is it the subscreen, or something else?

#7 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't know how is it called. Hub maybe? The upper part where you see your hearts, two items and the map.

I like the idea of making it simple, but I don't really like how you've done it here, it just doesn't fix for me. But hey, everything else looks great! I'll be waiting.

#8 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

Hi Mitch, my balls itch.

I am also glad you are getting along with this quest I hope it goes well

hello

#9 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members