Photo

Map of the Month 19

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 19 (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 2 2010, 01:27 PM) View Post

To use an example with myself again: I have not seen a lot of people make an overhang with the DoR tiles like I did in my recent SotW, but if people liked that and tried to do it themselves...how is that bad or wrong (unless of course it's ugly icon_heh.gif )?

I Liked that overhang when I saw it in Sotw, and I thought about it earlier before I saw your post here, I guess I will edit my map a bit.

#17 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Very nice maps this month. icon_biggrin.gif

catfriedrice: Since the map itself is small, it's hard to make the details out, but from what I can get, the grass areas could use some sprucing up with ground detail. But I love the city. I'd add more people to it, personally, to give it a more bustling feel.

Gonken: I like the palette a lot and the design is solid. My only real complaint is that a few objects with the dark, black outline stand out a little too much in my opinion. *Votes*

Jupiter: I love the dark feel you've got going in this map. The forest area seems a little cluttered in my opinion with all the big trees, in my opinion. But other than that, nice work!

#18 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Beautiful maps. My favorite would be Jupiter's. It's simply remarkable.

#19 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Apr 2 2010, 09:07 PM) View Post

Thanks! That's really helpful. Just to quickly take your points in order.

-Yeah, you've got a good point there
-I'll play with that...I do want it to be a bit ominous or have a sort of late in the day feeling.
-True, but this is not actually the palette they are in...all of those trees are totally different colors...I did not know how to get two different palettes to show on the same map..so I went with the one that covered the majority of it for the entry...
-I'll play with that too
- Same. More playing.
- Maybe if I darken the browns and lighten everything else they will start to fit.

Good stuff, much appreciated Joe.

Glad to be of help.
If you want to make a map which shows two areas in different palettes you need to make two maps and splice them together in an image editor.

#20 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

I voted for Gonken, despite some similarities with another persons map, I'm basing my vote solely on what is in the map, and it looks very solid! Would you ever consider releasing some of those MC tiles for DoR? icon_razz.gif

Good work guys!

#21 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Apr 2 2010, 12:31 PM) View Post

Gonken, your map reminds me of Robin's Great Forest. I'd even say you ripped it off, more or less. The concept of the river flowing through the forest like that, for example is obviously copied. Stealing is a no-go. Great job on ripping all those tMC tiles into ZC, but think of own designs. Seriously, that is the second time you are stealing others work, stop it, please.

Don't forget the blue mushroom house next to the river.
Rember how migo blocked a path with a 2 2x2 stones? he did the same.
The leaf things sticking out the water looks like the vines that migo made.
The edited DoR vine looks like another vine that sticks underwater.
The utterance is nearly the same place as migo putted it.
The river with the bridge looks like how migo did his.
The stairs to HCP was migos idea.
If thats an island in the corner then thats 100% migos.

Other then that I voted for what ever you copied him or not. I not speaking in a harsh way I saying this because it looks like migos. I like the MC style graphics it looks nice icon_biggrin.gif.

Edited by Midnight_King, 02 April 2010 - 08:53 PM.

#22 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

Voted for Jupiter, primarily because of the clouds making it look epic. Also I like the palette a massive amount.

#23 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Apr 2 2010, 07:52 PM) View Post

Other then that I voted for what ever you copied him or not. I not speaking in a harsh way I saying this because it looks like migos. I like the MC style graphics it looks nice icon_biggrin.gif.

Dude, the only thing that inspired me was vines in the water, I don't know what path blocking you're talking about I haven't seen one in Migo's quest, I placed out the house randomly to be a shop for my forest, and the stairs to a HCP... I have been building that way for a long time even before I ever saw his quests. I have seen people using houses in their maps as well btw.

Edited by Gonken, 02 April 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#24 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Gonken Has My vote for the map of the month.

#25 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

Oh i voted for Gonken by the way. It was a really tough choice between Jupiter and Gonken... but Gonken had some really great tiles there and i just had to vote for it.

#26 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:57 AM

QUOTE(Midnight_King @ Apr 3 2010, 01:52 AM) View Post

Other then that I voted for what ever you copied him or not. I not speaking in a harsh way I saying this because it looks like migos. I like the MC style graphics it looks nice icon_biggrin.gif .
I already said that this was over. Let's not try and make this into a flame war. I'm not saying that you're wrong, cause you kind of are, but me and Gonken have sorted this out ourselves, and it's pretty safe to say that there was some inspiration from my map. Either way, as I said, me and Gonken have talked about this already, and it's not a problem.

So no more mentioning of this, please? MotM isn't about yelling at people for having a map similar to someone elses. Vote for the one you think is the better, and discuss that if you feel like it, but I really don't want this to turn into something more than it is, especially considering that I'm involved. As I said, this isn't a big deal. The map isn't a copy, as the screendesign is different, and if it WAS a straight up rip, this would have been different, but it's not. Now I'm dragging my message off longer than it needs to be, so let's just stop this right now, before someone starts to shout. Thank you.

#27 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

No one is voting for catfriedrice icon_frown.gif

#28 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

I voted for Gonken. Everything just blends so well in the entire map.

#29 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE(Blaman @ Apr 2 2010, 05:43 PM) View Post

Jupiter: I love the dark feel you've got going in this map. The forest area seems a little cluttered in my opinion with all the big trees, in my opinion. But other than that, nice work!

Thanks Blaman...It is pretty cluttered in there, but I wanted it to be a little confusing and scary. There is a lot you can't tell about that portion of the map from this entry.

a.) It's in another palette
b.) There is thunder and lightening (and rain)
c.) Those mushrooms are poisonous and some of them get up and walk around, which makes it hard to keep them straight.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

#30 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Wow Jupiter nice job! Yours seemed to have the most stuff going on and it was the most interesting!

catfriedrice-it has way too many buildings...
Gonken-nice tileset, but it seems rather empty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users