Multiple Active Subscreens?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

Here's an idea which could prove very useful if possible.

Could you assign L, R, or some of the EX buttons to pull up alternate active subscreens that you've made?

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

What, you mean like this?

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

I wouldn't have thought to have scrolling between the different subscreens (seems unnecessary and likely to cause issues) but yeah basically. I just wondered if it was something possible, and if it was easy to do. I kinda figured it hadn't been done in ZC since there's typically not a need for it.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Not just because there's no need for it, but because you'd need to script your own subscreen to make it happen.

There's a quest that does this though: vault of souls.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

Solaris has a 4-page subscreen (equipment, collectibles, dungeon map, teleport waypoints) that you can tab between with L/R.

Like Avataro said, since the built-in subscreens are tied to your current DMap, the only way to do this is by scripting your entire subscreen from scratch.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Ah, well if you can't simply access subscreens from other DMaps it's not worth it.

#7 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

Hm, maybe you could script a button to warp you to another dmap and pull up its subscreen? It's probably be hard to get back to the screen you were on though, and where it placed you when you got back would be important. Interesting thought, probably not practical though.

• Avaro likes this

#8 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Considering that would reset the screen you came from, scripting the subscreen from scratch is actually easier.

FYI it's definitely not a novice project, but scripting a very basic subscreen is perfectly doable for someone familiar with ZScript.

#9 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

There is no problem making them pan and scroll. The main thing about the subscreen in my post, is that it uses new ZScript instructions to function, so (1) it won;t work in 2.50.x, and (2) it does not need any actual subscreens to function. I plan to include this with 2.54 as a template for automated scripted subscreen generation stuff.

The whole point of the code is to simplify set-up of scripted subscreens, but as 2.50.x does not have Link->SetItemSlot(), it doesn't matter for the present. The pan/scroll/draw part can be done in 2.50.x. Setting the item slot is what differs most.

This has been done in 2.50.x, but it requires using a hackish method to set item buttons.

• MoscowModder likes this

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

It's not worth the effort IMO, but thanks for the info.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:16 PM

It's not worth the effort IMO, but thanks for the info.

That is up to you. IMO, it is very much worth the effort. I have quite distinct plans for each page for my own quests, and I have a method that I want to explore to expand the pages, to five, or nine. This would resemble Terranigma.

The main limiting factor in scripted subscreens, and the reason that you do not see any kit for making them, is that 2.50.x scripted subscreens rely heavily on the actual subscreen layout. What is interesting about my design here, and the reason that I can include it as a header in 2.54+, is that it does notrely on the internal subscreen, and the questmaker can set it up purely as if it was a normal subscreen in a quest, with drag-and-drop.

In the end, it might be a superior option, with better configuration capabilities.

It still needs a bit of work to complete the drag and drop GUI elements, but in the end, configuring a scripted subscreen mayin fact be easier than configuring the internal subscreens. The right pane, which has a translucent background, is the part that explicitely runs off of the subscreen creation kit elements.

This thing works by generating real items, and using itemdata, an array, and a selector. Doing things, such as equippable armour, are far simplified. In that video, I demonstrated the equippable shield item. Selecting and using it on the subscreen enables or removes it, so it can be used to turn passive items on and off.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 24 July 2017 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users