Photo

Usergroup Icons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Usergroup Icons (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in usergroup icons?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

The staff has recently been discussing the idea of replacing "pips" (the golden hearts that all staff members have below their profile picture) with usergroup icons indicative of a user's rank on the site. These icons would essentially act as small banners.

Since regular members would also be receiving one of these, the staff thought it best to first ask the entire community whether this is a good idea or not before actually implementing it. Would you be interested in usergroup icons? Use the poll above to submit your appreciated answers. :)

Assuming that this is a well-supported idea, we also have to decide upon what the actual icons for each usergroup will be. The staff has thought of a few ideas already, such as various Zelda enemies, swords, characters, and beasts, to name a few. Please share and discuss some more ideas if you have them!

• Shane, Eddy, KingPridenia and 1 other like this

#2 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:24 PM

Sure, I would love to see proper usergroup icons implemented! If I had to be honest, I kinda did miss the "pips" the users had. But it was slightly flawed in that it could potentially encourage questionable behavior since the more posts you made, the more hearts you got. So I think all users should have the same icon (except for the staff, of course), or perhaps if we could, have them choose between a few? I've seen some forums implement it. As for suggestions, I have none. But your list of ideas sounds like a plan.

I look forward to seeing the results of this.

• coolgamer012345 and David like this

#3 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I'd be all for giving non-staff members a choice between a few different usergroup icons since it'd look very monotonous if they all had the exact same one. :)

• Shane likes this

#4 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:05 PM

I would be totally interested in usergroup icons. Kinda miss the hearts we used to have.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

I think that it should be a factor of both how long one's been on the site and how many posts you have. And you should be able to choose between 3 different icons at each rank. For example, Gel/Keese/Red_Octorock for level 1, Stalfos/Zol/Blue_Octorock for level 2, Goriya/Darknut/Lynel for level 3, etc. Long-time members will likely get Ganon or something, while staff members will probably get an invincible enemy like blade traps or fireball shooters. It should also display each person's level, so that if you prefer an octorock over, say, aquamentus, then you can be that and still have it be shown how much forum experience you likely have. By balancing it out with post counts and account age, it should be pretty fair. Plus, it encourages people to post more often to get the cooler banners, and just remember, if they act up then there is a warning/probation/ban system in place.  ;)

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

I'd love to see PureZC with as many pips as possible. Diversity is amazing, and it brings a warming touch to the forums.

(But I'm good for anything, really. :P )

Of course, with post-count invisible until you go to a profile, it brings the concept of post-count back into peoples' visibility a bit. But that's no big deal.

I really miss how AGN used to do it. I've kept the nearly impossible system in a spoiler box because reasons.

Spoiler

#7 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

Should we have pips or banners? Banners kinda have more creativity than a bunch of hearts or stars. 

#8 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

I wants an Aquamentus Button - it can represent those who have been here long, but still on verge of submitting a quest.*

Representing Aquamentus Rage to get a project done.

Aquamentus.jpg

#9 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:45 AM

I vote for an anus icon for the banned usergroup. Just throwing that out there.
  • Magi_Hero, Jared, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#10 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

I'd just like to say that I'm generally against userbars simply for having been registered on here for a long time or have a post count. The later promotes less quality posting to certain degree, and they both promotes elitist behaviour. The point of userbars is to see who the person is in relation to the site, not how long they have been here or how large their e-peen is.
  • Shane and Orithan like this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

Again, it's a bragging rights thing which encourages more posting. I doubt many people will go about actually bragging about them, this doesn't seem like that kind of community.

Edited by Dimentio, 05 November 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

I'd just like to say that I'm generally against userbars simply for having been registered on here for a long time or have a post count. The later promotes less quality posting to certain degree, and they both promotes elitist behaviour. The point of userbars is to see who the person is in relation to the site, not how long they have been here or how large their e-peen is.

That, and activity on the forum has been steady enough anyway. There is simply no merit to locking out users from cooler/better icons just because they have less posts and years under their belt. Coming from a guy who is nearing 10k posts and 7 years... I just don't see how a system like this can be fair. Plus, it just complicates an otherwise simple-to-add feature. :P

#13 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

I voted no, but then again, I don't really care how this will work out. Do as you please, I suppose :shrug:

I vote for an anus icon for the banned usergroup. Just throwing that out there.

I don't think so Tim.

Edited by HavoX, 05 November 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#14 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

Regular members just don't seem to get anything it just seems.

Nice golden hearts by the way guys ....

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 11 November 2015 - 06:13 AM.

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:11 AM

Regular members just don't seem to get anything it just seems.

Nice golden hearts by the way ....

The point of this poll is to see if members want something. :P

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users