Photo

PureZC's IRC Channel Disbanding July 31st

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

#PureZC has had a long run throughout the site's history, from the very beginning even. It's moved through multiple servers, such as Initialized, Northfire, SixLabRats, and its current home, Bladerock. It has had many a visitor and conversation, and for fifteen years, it was the primary home of live discussion on PureZC.

But now that legacy must come to an end. In the wake of Discord, IRC activity has dwindled drastically, and presently has very little activity at all. The signs are clear, and thus, after some staff discussion, we have come to our conclusion: #PureZC will be shut down on July 31st, 2017. It's a decision made with some reluctance; IRC has some rich history, and I've had many great conversations and better gotten to know some of my best friends on there. But it's evident that, while IRC gets no use, Discord is the preferred method of communication.

Thank you all who came to the channel and made it a great experience for all these years. Thank you to all those who hosted the servers the channel has rested upon. It's been a great run.

• Alestance, Neppy, Nathaniel and 10 others like this

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

will be missed
  • Rambly likes this

#3 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

Yep, there were many good times in there, from when I entered during the Initialized days (our second server I believe, after chat.planetz.net before my time), ShadowTiger helping me figure out IRC way back then, various people who have come and gone or stayed, and up to Bladerock.  But all good things eventually come to an end.  IRC is a well oiled machine that has existed as a means of chat well before I ever started chatting online, as I think it even predates AOL's instant messaging.  mIRC has also served as a great IRC client for me too.  Other modern chats have not been good substitutes for IRC, but Discord has proven to be the viable replacement, due to its similarity to IRC chat in a lot of ways (minus trying to memorize or look up commands), with added amenities.  IRC will be missed, but PureZCers chatting with each other will still live on.

• ShadowTiger and Rambly like this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Just a quick clarification: Bladerock itself is not shutting down. If you're using another active channel on that server, it won't be affected. This only applies to PureZC's channel.

• Rambly likes this

#5 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:59 PM

I had so many good times within #PureZC throughout the years, and it is a bit sad to see it shut down, it is for the best. It was the first IRC channel that I had ever talked in, and had the pleasure of having large multi-person chats with. Some good laughs were had.

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Gotta say that IRC has been pretty important to me near the beginning of my time on PureZC. That place was probably where I first got properly involved with the community and actually started talking with people. I remember how nervous I initially was since I've never really talked to anyone on PureZC before, so it was quite an experience for me lol The first person I talked to probably was DCEnygma IIRC.

Anyways I had some good times in there, and it will be missed, but it's probably for better now given its current situation.

• Shane, Jenny and Jared like this

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

I find this depressing, but if it isn't being used, then it is eating up admin time. ::shrug::

I suppose it can always be revitalised in the future, if people want it to come back.

• SkyLizardGirl and Deedee like this

#8 Culex

Culex

I "flame" you

• Secret Bosses

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

*Quietly sheds a single tear.*

• ShadowTiger, Nathaniel, nicklegends and 6 others like this

#9 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

'twas a good run.

*cough#AGNcough

• Nathaniel likes this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

'twas a good run.

*cough#AGNcough

Chris, pretty-please don't kill the AGN channel. We do still pop in there from time to time; those of us who want a random chat.A

AGN is a staple for doing things the old-fashioned way, and I want to keep all of its glory intact. :D

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 03 July 2017 - 09:43 PM.

• Yuuki likes this

#11 Skipper

Skipper

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

Man, that's a bummer. I've been around since the Initialized days, at least twelve years ago, and the IRC channel's always kind of been "there" - whether I'm active or not. It was a pretty big part of my growing up, and it's going to suck to see it go.

I'm surprised that it's not being kept around for legacy purposes, honestly. Even if it gets little to no activity. I guess that I can understand if it's also a matter of staff manpower to keep an eye on the channel, though.

#12 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

ripperoni pepperoni

• Adem likes this

#13 Chris Miller

Chris Miller

The Dark Man

• Banned

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:42 PM

Chris, pretty-please don't kill the AGN channel. We do still pop in there from time to time; those of us who want a random chat.A

AGN is a staple for doing things the old-fashioned way, and I want to keep all of its glory intact. :D

No, I'm not going to kill it.  I was plugging it in the cheapest and most obvious way possible. :3

#14 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

and nothing of value has changed. 

Seriously, if anyone takes issue with this *coughcoughermherm*, just make another one yourselves. IRC channels are not difficult to create. 

#15 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

and nothing of value has changed. 

Seriously, if anyone takes issue with this *coughcoughermherm*, just make another one yourselves. IRC channels are not difficult to create. 

Aye, but interest is a bit harder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users