Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#391 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:21 AM

Rather than screwing with enemies' X and Y positions, consider using their hit and draw offsets. Maybe just for increments of less than a tile? Not exactly sure how your implementation works.

That's a great idea! I've messed with hit and draw offsets a little bit, but moving them around as needed contextually, to effectively move the whole enemy, hadn't crossed my mind ^^' I'll have to experiment with that.

In my implementation of moving the enemies' actual X/Y coordinates, they could be moved left and right as the screen 'scrolled' (my actual scrolling technique in LaZPoC was dumb though, and involved changing combos instead of remote solidity checks and draw commands), and they could go a ways offscreen and then come back. But I mostly did it with NPCT_OTHERFLOAT, NPCT_KEESE, and NPCT_WALK (the latter of which would snap to the grid awkwardly, of course). But those scrolling hallways were relatively short.

I've only scratched the surface of trying to learn C and I haven't looked into C++ at all, so I wasn't aware of that form of vector. I was thinking of ZC's angular vectors.

I haven't run into the maximum objects/slots sorts of limitations on ZC for anything but items, although I can easily imagine running out of tile space. My biggest concerns about using it for original projects are really the screen size and CSet system, and the broader fear of inaccessibility to new players who don't already know how ZC works due to things like cross-platform functionality and the Zelda 1-style save system.

#392 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

Different thing. std::vector in C++ is a resizeable array.
You don't really need them for games, though; lots of games just use fixed-size arrays. It means there's a maximum number of objects, but most games don't need thousands of active objects at once.

Man, you make it sound like every game doesn't have to be a bullet hell.  I don't know where you're coming from because that's clearly crazy talk.

#393 Slagr

Slagr

• Members

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

Playing the flute with the parachute leaf open in side-view areas makes you fly upward.  Cool trick but didn't see it in the exploits.txt.

• Mitsukara and Deedee like this

#394 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

That's a new one on me! It's because the parachute leaf always moves you up a little bit when it's in use, and it's normally outweighed by gravity (which doesn't apply when Link is in a frozen state by the flute FFC being set to a 'freeze all' combo). I guess it's not too likely to cause problems though, and you might be the first person to even find it, so if I eventually release another update, I'll probably leave that in.

(And if I update the support pack I'll try to remember to list it in the exploits. If I do a big update like that, though, I'd also try to include a better walkthrough, and klopp422's updated Zelda NSF, and maybe some sort of sonic music as requested by SC Knuckles although I did put in a 'insert your own MP3 here' feature in 1.4, and I'd fix that pointless redundant/misleading cave entrance I accidentally added to the swamp near Marui in 1.4, and check again for other bugs I've missed or introduced during updates... but we'll see if I ever get around to any of that, I'm not sure how much demand there is or if it's really that important for me to go back and do that stuff).

Thanks for letting me know!

Edited by Mitsukara, 10 February 2018 - 09:50 PM.

#395 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Random bug report. It was the dungeon where you get the magnet and the blue cane, towards the top of the map is a passageway warp where the warp return is set to the wrong square if you back out of the passage. (You have to change something else too in order to have everything using the right return squares.) Also, if you go into the passage warp while separated, your other character moves up 1 tile? Link got stuck in a wall. (Feels like there's a lot of jank I could stumble onto if I wanted? But that's okay, sometimes jank is fun.)

• Mitsukara likes this

#396 KingRokon

KingRokon

• Members

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

Hello! I've played through most of Panoply of Calatia and I wanted to thank you for the dedication you put into this.

It's easy to see all of the influences and inspirations put into this project and I can tell something like this must of taken forever. The world created here is also very big and while 9 dungeons seems like it would be enough to wrap the game up, you decide to go all out and also include the whole continent of Hyrule from Link's Adventure. Really cool touch to see whats been happening since the last time we went through it. 

I love how this feels like a project Nintendo themselves would work on and the items from other Zelda titles are also nice. I love the option of changing the music to the dungeons you're in as well. That is such a cool feature and I can't believe that was put in! 

With that said, I do have a few gripes, specifically with the flute. It would be one thing if the wind song was frequently required, but the first time you need to play it is in Militron's tower. I feel like it would of been better to include a hint to needing that song in that room, though to be fair, a guard tells you in the 2nd town, but he never tells you where, nor is there really any reminder to it. Some of the puzzles such as the Cane of Somaria one in one specific dungeon is also frustratingly annoying, I'm sure most people who have played this game will know what I'm referring to. 

Also, I think I might have stumbled upon a weird glitch, in 110 in Hyrule, there is a docking area that the raft won't land on, no matter how persistent I am with it. It's very strange and I hope that place isn't essential to finishing the game.

Regardless, Panopoly of Calatia is a great Zelda fan title. 

• ShadowTiger and Mitsukara like this

#397 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:50 AM

Glad you're enjoying it, thank you! I made some of the scripts and sprites I used in 2013 and 2014, but earnest development of the quest began around September 2015 and ended around December 2016. For a while there, it was my main passion in life to try to get it done. I hope to do another one kind of like it again, though recently I've been focusing on other things.

I might need to revise the hints a little more in the Tower of Seline, yeah. I think I had made a change to that in the 1.5 update which I keep stalling on finishing... I also know which Somaria puzzle you probably mean and unfortunately I've never thought of a great way to revise it while still keeping the function of the puzzle intact... though it is possible to bypass it by using the Roc's Cape to get there from a different part of the dungeon. Still, I'll try to think if there's a good way to tweak it to make it less difficult to figure out the timing.

Also, I think I might have stumbled upon a weird glitch, in 110 in Hyrule, there is a docking area that the raft won't land on, no matter how persistent I am with it. It's very strange and I hope that place isn't essential to finishing the game.

Oops! I just added that cave in 1.4. All it has inside is a bee (the same kind you can catch with the net). I added it mostly as a hint to another area, but it seems I forgot to set up the dock correctly. I'll make sure to fix that for the future update. But no, that screen isn't necessary at all for completing the game.

I really ought to hurry up with that 1.5 update. I haven't felt confident in all my bug fixes, and I keep stalling on editing the music selector (SC Knuckles requested I add some form of Sonic music to the selector, but I have to add the tracks in manually which is kind of a pain so I've been stalling on it). I also need to add BigJoe to the credits since I missed crediting him for the 5th quest soundtrack. Aside from that it will mostly be bugfixes, though I kept being tempted to set up a bonus boss rush mode and never did.

If you have any other questions or thoughts, feel free to ask. ^_^

#398 KingRokon

KingRokon

• Members

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:03 AM

Glad you're enjoying it, thank you! I made some of the scripts and sprites I used in 2013 and 2014, but earnest development of the quest began around September 2015 and ended around December 2016. For a while there, it was my main passion in life to try to get it done. I hope to do another one kind of like it again, though recently I've been focusing on other things.

I might need to revise the hints a little more in the Tower of Seline, yeah. I think I had made a change to that in the 1.5 update which I keep stalling on finishing... I also know which Somaria puzzle you probably mean and unfortunately I've never thought of a great way to revise it while still keeping the function of the puzzle intact... though it is possible to bypass it by using the Roc's Cape to get there from a different part of the dungeon. Still, I'll try to think if there's a good way to tweak it to make it less difficult to figure out the timing.

Oops! I just added that cave in 1.4. All it has inside is a bee (the same kind you can catch with the net). I added it mostly as a hint to another area, but it seems I forgot to set up the dock correctly. I'll make sure to fix that for the future update. But no, that screen isn't necessary at all for completing the game.

I really ought to hurry up with that 1.5 update. I haven't felt confident in all my bug fixes, and I keep stalling on editing the music selector (SC Knuckles requested I add some form of Sonic music to the selector, but I have to add the tracks in manually which is kind of a pain so I've been stalling on it). I also need to add BigJoe to the credits since I missed crediting him for the 5th quest soundtrack. Aside from that it will mostly be bugfixes, though I kept being tempted to set up a bonus boss rush mode and never did.

If you have any other questions or thoughts, feel free to ask. ^_^

Interesting! What kind of other updates are you planning for this game? Any plans of adding more content? I personally think the game is fine the way it is, besides some of the bugs, but it'll be interesting to see what gets updated further.

#399 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:17 AM

Interesting! What kind of other updates are you planning for this game?

This kind! LaZPoC version 1.5 on the quest database.

Any plans of adding more content?

Sort of but only a few things. I added a couple extra screens, more hints (especially about that darn flute puzzle), a way to level down if you're so inclined, and a couple small bonus things. Nothing major, no new dungeons or anything like that. Still no boss rush either, sorry to anyone hoping for that. Lots of bugfixes and little design tweaks to (hopefully) improve game balance, though.

And I made certain to play through the whole game again one more time so hopefully there are no glaring oversights... I'm sure I forgot something though, this project was huge.

The support pack has been changed this time, with new music files (and the updated scripts for anyone interested in using/perusing them), so please download it with the update, too.

Here's a full change list:

---- Aesthetic changes

Slight cset pallete alterations to the following dungeons (spoilers about which ones):

Spoiler

They retain the same basic colors as before, but have been slightly tweaked for more variety and to avoid repeated csets.

1. All under-over bridges that had black spaces underneath have been tweaked to have dark tiles or ground behind them (by utilizing layer 2 background). In certain places where this change would make the contrast of the layer harder to see, black shadowed tiles are used instead as a compromise.
  2. Changed the cset of the droppable ladder in Yamauchi Palace in order to (hopefully) better highlight the switches.
  3. A row of three windows was added to the room before the boss in the final dungeon.
  4. Certain puzzles have been decorated with Goriya statues as clues.
  5. Level 2 spinner switches now have a distinct appearance from other switches.
  6. The default Legacy of the Wizard music in Nakago palace has been switched to the longer and more intricate MSX version of the same song. The original NES version is still available in the music selector.
  7. Certain songs from the custom Legend of Zelda NSF file, by klop422 and klop422's brother, have been updated to the June 2017 version.
  8. When the Ring spell or a guardian acorn is active, if "Different colors" is turned on, Zelda's color is now yellow instead of the same pale blue as Link.
  9. The child who wants a doll is now visible rather than only mentioned by the mother, and can be seen holding the doll once you give it to them.
  10. The player can now add 18 custom MP3 files and 18 custom OGG files to the music selector. A demonstration image of this has been included in the Support Pack. Simply copy a song of your choice into your Zelda Classic program folder, then rename your songs to:
lazpoc custom song 1.mp3
lazpoc custom song 2.mp3, etc; or, to
lazpoc custom song 1.ogg, etc.

---- Bug fixes

1. Fixed a place where the title screen music would unintentionally play if you defeated every enemy (including the blue urchin) in the town of Caragonne.
  2. Tweaked a single tile of the under-over maze in the Tower of Seline, where it was possible (at the very edge of a ledge) to get stuck inside an overhead Like-Like from below, and also added the proper jump-off flag to the adjusted edge.
  3. Fixed a bug where the defeated Spiny enemies in a certain room of Yokoi Palace might damage the player the instant they entered the doorway (although they still attempt to respawn for a moment due to tribble physics, they can no longer touch the player while doing so).
  4. The raft game in the Town of Forward can no longer be glitchily exited with the speedy sail.
  5. Fixed a wrong-color hole in the wall in the place where you learn the Double Arrow technique.
  6. Fixed a new Impa hint tile from version 1.4, which  accidentally lacked a message script.
  7. Fixed a small palette error (if you used the 'different colors' setting for Zelda) on a certain boss introduction.
  8. In version 1.4 a redundant cave entrance was accidentally added in the southwest swamp area. This is now a bombable secret room with an NPC who gives you a hint, and a 'take only one' choice between a magic bean, p-bag, and some superbombs.
  9. Some of the rising lava/crushing ceiling screens, which occasionally did not display their intended effect, have been fixed, and the crushing ceiling behavior has been marginally improved to prevent jumping through it.
  10. If you F6 out of the post-credits, you will continue from the post-credits as intended, plus a silly easter egg screen due to what happened in Eppy's playthrough where this occurred.

---- Design changes
TL;DR: A bunch of small tweaks and improvements based on feedback and my own hindsight realizations, but little in the way of totally new content.

1. Various small tweaks to certain dungeon rooms in various palaces, which have been carefully re-tested (by me) for improved playability and the learning curve of how certain items can be used. Approximately half the dungeons have about one such slightly-changed room, usually to add more nuance to a puzzle or to make sense of puzzle that was previously unintuitive (especially the falling block/spikes puzzle in Soejima Palace).
  2. Any sideview screen with water at the bottom might now contain a secret if you dive down there (rather than only a few), and two new minor bonus items can be found in this way, as well as some small new areas to explore.
  3. A new shop has been added to the Town of Caragonne where you can level-down in return for secret seashells, and where you can buy experience points with rupees once you have a certain item.
  4. A new shop late in the game allows you to trade in your heart and magic rings in return for secret seashells.
  5. The Secret Seashell house now gives minor rewards (rupees or experience) whenever you visit it with a number of seashells divisible by 5.
  6. Changed one NPC's "I know nothing" dialogue in the Town of Forward so that he tells you you'll need to use three certain items very frequently.
  7. The boss of Tezuka Palace has been swapped with the miniboss of Nakago Palace to improve the difficulty balance, and their hit point levels have been tweaked. The one which now serves as the miniboss of Nakago Palace also shoots a different type of projectiles to complicate the battle.
  8. Added an extra burnable secret to the north of Tezuka palace. It's just a shop that sells (marginally) cheaper beans, a much cheaper boomerang, and bottle clocks, with a hint/reminder for a puzzle in the Tower of Seline.
  9. The screen with the access from East to West Calatia has an added sideview screen, and a stairway with an NPC who hints about how to solve the new sideview puzzle by learning an important item mechanic.
  10. Certain "Secret money" screens have been replaced with "Take only one" rooms with various prizes (sometimes including rupees), to add more variety.
  11. Redesigned the climbable house roof to look more reasonable, and made all house roofs climbable.
  12. Added a ladder-climbable cliff near the 'red vine' area, as an alternate means of getting up the cliff (behind the purple rupee).
  13. Added an item pickup message to bottle clocks to explain what they do.
  14. Made the Boo enemies damaged by the Magic Powder, although how many hits they take from it is slightly random.
  15. Added a small puzzle to the Calatia overworld, requiring the use of Epona's Song before obtaining the Ancient Stone Tablet.
  16. In the southwest area of Calatia, there is now a small sideview cave where the stairs connect from a certain screen to the one to the left.
  17. Added a shortcut to make the backtracking portion of Soejima palace faster and more obvious.
  18. Added a shortcut near the Tower of Seline entrance which appears after you have opened the tower, for getting on and off of the cliffs more easily.
  19. Added a new puzzle to the room before the hidden life doll in the palace which contains the L-2 beetle, so as to highlight one of the L-2 Beetle's functions and add more challenge.
  20. Added a new passageway-style room and simple pressure plate puzzle to a late-game gold colored palace to make use of two previously pointless dead ends.
  21. The faster heart ring and faster magic rings have been slowed down slightly due to their extreme speed in previous versions.
  22. The L-2 Peril Beam is now obtainable during normal gameplay, but if you don't find it it will still appear where it did in previous versions.
  23. Certain enemies in the late game have had their damage boosted so as to remain relevant at high levels.
  24. Adjusted the 'Bomber Patra' and 'Formok' battles to be more difficult, because they were originally very likely to be easier than intended.
  25. A new encounter appears with two extra enemies to fight in the final dungeon, in a way designed to encourage use of seperating and auto-attack for tactical advantage.
  26. Added an Impa hint to try to explain Formok's unusual movement pattern.
  27. A certain late-game room with a water level switch and a bunch of pushable rocks, which was previously easy to get stuck in, now has many of it's rocks replaced by dash rock obstacles instead.
  28. Added some L-2 power bracelet rocks to the final dungeon. These are not required to lift so if you're doing the Averted Ambush route you can still complete it before the Calatia dungeons (so you can still get the secret alternate final battle this way).
  29. Added a life doll hidden in an unseeable spot in the very bottom-left corner of the room before the boss in the final dungeon, which you can get with the beetle.
  30. Slightly redesigned the final passageway room to require item usage and to be more challenging, as well as adding an obstacle to the final item cellar.
  31. Added a secret fairy spot and life doll hidden in the room immediately before the final boss.

Hopefully this will be the really for-real final update of the game, knock on wood. Hopefully I'll also get another project done one of these days, besides just the sailing demo.

Thanks again to everyone who played this. : )

Edited by Mitsukara, 22 September 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Eddy, Useless Old Man Wisdom and 4 others like this

#400 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:37 AM

Wow, an update!  I can't wait to replay it next year when I've forgotten most of the charm the quest has to offer.   Quick question:

The L-2 Peril Beam is now obtainable during normal gameplay, but if you don't find it it will still appear where it did in previous versions.

Just to clarify, you meant where the L-1 Peril Beam would be?  What's the difference between the two?

#401 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

Nope, nothing changed about the L-1 beam's location. I meant there's a new hidden screen where you can obtain the L-2 Peril Beam, which was previously only found In the postgame. It can still be found where it was before, if you don't obtain it at it's new location first.

The only difference in the L-2 peril beam is that it lets Link start shooting beams when he's at 5 hearts or lower, instead of at 1 or lower. It's a pretty simple bonus thing, and it doesn't make much difference considering that when Zelda's in the lead, the partner Link can auto-fire beams regardless of health. However, playing as Link does make the beams stronger in that it will have that long piercing beam that stretches over the entire length of it's range, and because Link's sword does more damage when you are controlling him (as opposed to the arrows which have constant attack strength regardless).

To clarify that a little further, you can basically think of it as, at level 1: Zelda does 1 damage in the lead or following. Link does 2 damage in the lead but 1 when following. And then they scale up over time, with Zelda's attack eventually being about 3/5 the strength of Link's (I want to say at level 8 that the arrows do 10 while the sword does 16? Something like that). Also, in version 1.4 I think I added a feature where level 9 attack power behaves differently on the final boss, dealing double damage to that boss specifically.

As far as what other bonus benefits were added item-wise, if you're curious:

Spoiler

Nothing too special though, these were very simple to add.

Edited by Mitsukara, 20 September 2018 - 10:48 PM.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#402 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:04 AM

This is my 2nd time playing this and I noticed that after I completed the Tower Of Seline and started my ride in Hyrule, it has been continuously raining. Is that a glitch or is it supposed to happen? and it's been stuck at night [10 on the clock]

Also I can't find that courtyard with the anchor

Edited by CimFighter, 26 September 2018 - 08:21 AM.

#403 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

This is my 2nd time playing this and I noticed that after I completed the Tower Of Seline and started my ride in Hyrule, it has been continuously raining. Is that a glitch or is it supposed to happen? and it's been stuck at night [10 on the clock]

That's a story related thing.

Once you complete the obligatory rescue quest things should go back to normal.

• ShadowTiger and Mitsukara like this

#404 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

Is that a glitch or is it supposed to happen? and it's been stuck at night [10 on the clock]

That's intentional. It's meant to resemble the stormy night at the beginning of A Link to the Past.

It's in

Spoiler

• ShadowTiger and CimFighter like this

#405 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:15 PM

That's intentional. It's meant to resemble the stormy night at the beginning of A Link to the Past.

It's in

Spoiler

I figured it was intentional. Okay tysm.

UPDATE:Yeah I knew I missed a room somewhere haha. Now to finish up this quest.

Edited by CimFighter, 26 September 2018 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users