Update #1: Introduction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 30 December 2022 - 06:00 PM

Or rather, reintroduction. This quest has been in my life for so long. Like ridiculously long. I've been working on this game since I was 14, so close to 9 years now. It's original version was Re-envisioning, which was and still is a bad name. It's kinda fitting for what it was at the time though, a GB styled remake that used EZGBZ in the most ugly way possible, keeping it real. I rebooted that into Firebird, but that didn't work out either. It was a mess.

I returned to the GB style on DX, the second iteration of the quest. It was due in part to Vintage Dreams, which made quest building a lot more accessible for people like me who lack the technical know how to script some real polish into their games. I got substantial work done, essentially 60% of the overworld and the first dungeon, and did a lot of custom art for the game as well, but I spilled an iced coffee on my computer and lost it all. It's really funny looking back.

I was essentially done making the game for a while until I played the new PC port of Zelda II. It's essentially the original game, but with substantially more side content that fills in the gaps and makes Zelda II feel like a fuller game. The graphical enhancements also polish the game tremendously and blends in perfectly with the original art style, and now Zelda II has become such a fresher game for me.

And that experience inspired me to reapproach this project, to see what really works about the original Zelda and highlighting those things within this quest. I want exploration to feel just as exciting, but even more rewarding. More side areas and more optional content. I want the dungeons to feel as mechanically rich as anything from Link's Awakening, while suiting the reimagined and richer world of this quest. The dungeon order is even more breakable than the original; level number is the "right" order, but that level indicates difficulty, not sequence.

I feel really invigorated, and work has been going at a steady pace. I make backups now too which is cool. I'm entering my sigma grindset era for this quest, so hopefully I have more to show soon.

Also, Happy New Years!
  • Shane, David and Matthew like this

#2 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:54 PM

I checked out the project page and I'm liking what I see so far. You're using Cambria exactly how I hoped and envisioned people would, and I'm excited to see more!

• Shane likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users