Photo

Zelda Classic 2.55 Alpha 1 (Official, Preliminary)

Necromancer 2.55

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:37 PM

For the first time on PureZC, we bring for your enlightenment and edification Zelda Classic Necromancer [v2.55] !

While we had originally planned to release 2.53 (Omnius), and follow up with 2.54, before moving onto 2.55, in the last few months, we have ultimately concluded that some features that we wanted to include in later builds were far more feasible to do in 2.54, and thus we had been slowly rolling them in.

This of course means that 2.54 exceeded our original specification for it, and because of confusion with my old (personal) fork, (2.future) with the canonical 2.54--the two are unrelated--we've bumped up the version number to 2.55, thus to better reflect 13es when compared to 2.50.x, and we've given these new versionf of ZC their own project names.

The new features of 2.55/Necromancer are quite expansive, from a gigantic overhaul of ZScript, and all editors (including Enemy, Item, Weapon, Messages, Shops, and so forth), to subtle improvements such as porting global quest rules to individual flags on items and enemies; and general improvements and refinements to Zuest and quest building, listing everything individually would exceed a single topic post.

Thus, in this thread, we will cover new features and content, a section at a time, while we explore how these changes and new features improve your experience while using ZQuest, and expand the horizon line for what you can do both with the stock editor, and with ZScript expansion.

We will also cover the plans for future features, and our plans, as these topics logically arise.

For the present, you may wish to download and try the latest build. We'll keep this topic freshly updated with new builds as they arrive, and you are of course welcome to view the detailed Changelog for 2.55 on GitHub.

For now, here's what you'll want, to see where this is all going:

Zelda Classic Necromancer [v2.55] [Alpha 1] [p16] [Win-32]

Brought to you by: The ZC Necromancer Team (Alphabetical)

Spoiler

Here are some teaser screenshots!

Enemy Editor
Spoiler

Item Editor
Spoiler

Shop Editor

Spoiler

Combo Editor
Spoiler

Tile Editor
Spoiler

• ShadowTiger, Neppy, Anthus and 9 others like this

#2 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:14 PM

Finally whistle pols voice one of the many enemies in the ZC enemy tileset that was never implemented.  Also a feature for those who want more than the Digdogger to be the only enemy hurt by the whistle.  Also digdoggers weak to weapons other than the whistle would be nice among other things.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#3 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

I haven't officially tested this, but I have played around with some of the editors, and this is solid stuff. I especially love the way items were set up as it gives me more options on how to level up said items. For instance, having slash as a feature of a sword gives me the ability to start the player off with a stabby stick and then later have a legit sword. Excellent work.

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

Finally whistle pols voice one of the many enemies in the ZC enemy tileset that was never implemented.  Also a feature for those who want more than the Digdogger to be the only enemy hurt by the whistle.  Also digdoggers weak to weapons other than the whistle would be nice among other things.

I'm working on making boss enemies easier to edit.

Note that to make this work, on your whistle item, you must enable a flag 'Damages enemies'. This is to ensure that the new whistle doesn't cause issues in older quests where this feature didn't exist.

How, if only I can pipe the system Mic in through Allegro, we could have real Famicom Pols Voice. :D

\Once I have a 'Split' defence option done, then you'll be able to make a Digdogger using a normal flying enemy, and sizing it to 2x2.

I haven't officially tested this, but I have played around with some of the editors, and this is solid stuff. I especially love the way items were set up as it gives me more options on how to level up said items. For instance, having slash as a feature of a sword gives me the ability to start the player off with a stabby stick and then later have a legit sword. Excellent work.

Thsnk you. Porting QRs and various other quirly stuff into the editors as item and enemy flags has always been part of the plan for this version. Venrob has done an excellent job thus far in implementing a large number of these flags on my old to-do list.

As he has been working on the items, I've started on enemy flags.

#5 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:18 AM

I'm working on making boss enemies easier to edit.

Note that to make this work, on your whistle item, you must enable a flag 'Damages enemies'. This is to ensure that the new whistle doesn't cause issues in older quests where this feature didn't exist.

How, if only I can pipe the system Mic in through Allegro, we could have real Famicom Pols Voice. :D

\Once I have a 'Split' defence option done, then you'll be able to make a Digdogger using a normal flying enemy, and sizing it to 2x2.

Sounds good since many of the boss enemies don't have that much flexibility in the enemy editor.  Dodongos are ones that I would like to see as flexible as walking enemies given how they pretty much are walking enemies that can only be killed in a specific way.  Also fire dodongo was another enemy in the tileset that wasn't implemented so it would be nice to see a level 2 dodongo in the enemy editor.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:36 PM

Don't have time to play with this myself, but I wanted to ask since the option is still there in the Enemy Editor. Does the height/width option actually work now, or do we still need to script enemies with larger graphics and hitboxes?

#7 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:58 AM

Don't have time to play with this myself, but I wanted to ask since the option is still there in the Enemy Editor. Does the height/width option actually work now, or do we still need to script enemies with larger graphics and hitboxes?

Aye, it works for a fair number of enemies.

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

I had forgotten about this feature, as I added it so long ago:

C:255-dmap-flags.png

You can now mass-set background layers, and sideview for entire dmaps.

• Alucard648 and SkyLizardGirl like this

#9 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

I've been meaning to request something like that. So that is just great.

• Alucard648 and SkyLizardGirl like this

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:51 AM

I updated the build link in the OP, to preliminary 16. This fixes some stability issues that were caused by some corrupted compiler object files and cmake files.

This build also includes a new Dark Theme for ZC and for ZQuest. It's the default theme in the download, but you can disable it easily, if you dislike it.

zq_dark_theme.png

To control the theme setting, for Zelda Classic

Spoiler

To control the theme setting, for ZQuest

Spoiler

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#11 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:29 PM

Decided to try and test this out although the Zelda.exe program isn't allowing me to select a custom quest.  Did you change it to the non-default button or does it just not work?

Edit: Found a way to do it through the menus so now I can actually test out the enemies I create.

Reedit: Tried testing stuff out but for some reason Link is always invisible?

Edited by TheTrueMarioMaster, 18 October 2018 - 06:45 PM.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

Decided to try and test this out although the Zelda.exe program isn't allowing me to select a custom quest.  Did you change it to the non-default button or does it just not work?

Edit: Found a way to do it through the menus so now I can actually test out the enemies I create.

Was Load Quest on a specific hotkey before, that stopped working? Please explain this issue.

Reedit: Tried testing stuff out but for some reason Link is always invisible?

Link is always invisible?

Are you using the build in the top post here? Alpha 1, p-16? That was an issue in some older builds, but AFAIK, it has been fixed.Please verify that when you view Misc->About, that it reports:

Zelda Classic 'Necromancer'
(v2.55, Alpha Build 41)
4th October, 2018

What quests have this issue? Does it occur only if you load one quest after exiting another?

Please detail how to duplicate it. It's obviously not intentional.

#13 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:06 AM

Sorry for the late reply but basically in Zelda classic 2.5 you can press alt to allow to select a quest for a save file but you aren't able to do it in the build version.  As for the build version I have I am using the p16 one since it is the only version that there is a Link to at the time.  Personally I didn't find that much difference with how the enemy editor functioned compared to normal version as I thought there would be.  Still bothers me how enemy types that can tribble yet can not split.

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:58 PM

Sorry for the late reply but basically in Zelda classic 2.5 you can press alt to allow to select a quest for a save file but you aren't able to do it in the build version.  As for the build version I have I am using the p16 one since it is the only version that there is a Link to at the time.  Personally I didn't find that much difference with how the enemy editor functioned compared to normal version as I thought there would be.  Still bothers me how enemy types that can tribble yet can not split.

In what quest was Link invisible?

IDK about the Alt key, but you can use [Esc] then [O].

#15 TheTrueMarioMaster

TheTrueMarioMaster

Initiate

• Members

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

Any quest I created pretty much using the alpha build so it's not a specific quest thing.  I'll just wait until the build is more stable.

Edited by TheTrueMarioMaster, 29 October 2018 - 10:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Necromancer, 2.55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users