• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

Greetings, puny mortals, I am here to announce that I have usurped LinktheMaster's authority and taken over the- oh, whoops, sorry, that's on the agenda for next week.

Onto the real news!

Since there's been some concern brought up about it, I am pleased to announce... the ZC Expo! :) It's been over a year since our last one, so it's about time.  This is also my first time hosting it, so I'm pretty excited myself!

If you're unfamiliar with the ZC Expo, it's an event where people showcase a project they're working on, releasing all sorts of information, screenshots, trailers, or demos for their quest.  Think of it like a science show, and you want to make the best baking soda volcano you can!  What separates this from just making a topic in Custom Quest Discussion or using the Quest Project system is that the submissions are publicly showcased in a special subforum, preventing them from getting mixed up and lost among other topics of discussion or the abundance of project updates.  This is your opportunity to put a project you're passionate about in the spotlight, to tell the world forums that they should pay attention to it!  If you need any further information or would like to see some examples, you can also check out the past expos as well.

As with the past few expos, despite earlier expos allowing members to feature tilesets, tiles, etc, the expo is specifically for showing off unfinished quests.  As usual, we will host up to 10 screenshots, as well as a demo at a maximum of 20mb.  Anything beyond that, though, must be hosted by the submitter.

Since the Two Week Contest is starting in a few days and will last through August (and possibly overlap into September), along with school starting for many people the following month, the expo will begin on October 25th.  We'll start accepting submissions as early as October 1st, with the deadline at October 20th.  We will not accept any submissions afterward.

We look forward to seeing what you submit, and whether you'll be there to show off your work, or you'll just be checking things out, let's all have a great time! :)

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them.

• Shane, Eddy, Haylee and 6 others like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Knowing myself, I will probably try to sign up, be unable to get a working demo out, and completely fail. Oh, well!

#3 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

Knowing myself, I will probably try to sign up, be unable to get a working demo out, and completely fail. Oh, well!

A demo isn't required for the expo. It's a really nice thing to have, but it's not a requirement. :)

#4 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:37 AM

Where would I go about submitting? Also, is it alright if I submit before the expected date, 1st October?

#5 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

We'll set up a dropbox for submissions when we're ready to accept them. We won't be able to accept early submissions, though. Why not put the extra time into a little extra polish? ;)

#6 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:45 AM

Yes! This will be a perfect opportunity to show off more of what I've got.

Let's hope this year will be another successful year to me just like last year. Amy Rose 3 will be in da house :P

• Lightwulf likes this

#7 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

Yes! It's official!

I'm signing up, guys!

As with the past few expos, despite earlier expos allowing members to feature tilesets, tiles, etc, the expo is specifically for showing off unfinished quests.

Just a possible suggestion: could there not be other expos for other things, or sub-subforums in this expo (or later ones) for other projects? I mean, that's probably more work for you admins, but it could work if enough people were working on tilesets etc.

#8 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

Since this has been announced. I will take an early return to Zquest. I have much to prepare.

#9 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hmm, looks like the perfect opportunity to see how I can enhance my project to see if I'm on the right track or if I'll end up with another dud. I'm wondering how long of an expo/demo would be "too long". See, when I did Adam's Quest II back for the Winter 2014 Expo, it was practically half a quest and easily 6+ hours of blind gameplay. With what I have currently, I'm guessing, based on someone completing a demo of mine, it would take a blind player about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to get through it completely. But yeah, I think I'll give it a few more runs through, add one or two more little things, then call it an expo.

Also, when submitting for it, should the thread title just be the quest name only? For instance, if I'm calling it "Adam's Crazy Unprofessional Quest", would I just make the thread title "Adam's Crazy Unprofessional Quest"? And for the record, that's NOT what its name it, just using an example.

#10 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, that'll do.  We'll have a dropbox for submissions set up by the time we're ready.  Be sure to attach $20 as well, of course.

• Lightwulf and KingPridenia like this

#11 UZF

UZF

Junior

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

I won't be signing up, but I'll sure as heck be playing the quests! :D

#12 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

Yes!! My plan worked! I'm so excited! I think I'm going to try to start a (real) project and get it out there. Good luck to everyone eventually entering!!! :bounce:

• Shane and Lightwulf like this

#13 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

Would a video showing off some "mechanics" of a quest (such as planned items and how they'll work) be fine for the expo?

#14 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

You could definitely do that.  Ultimately, it's up to you how you want to present it.  I would still recommend that you have other information available, whether you just want to talk about quest development, if there's a story that's planned, and definitely screenshots. (or concept art, which I remember at least one person doing in the past)  Even if you have that kind of information available already on your Quest Project page or have shown some screenshots in the Official Screenshot Thread, it'd be really good to have it there when there's gonna be a lot of traffic when the expo launches.  In fact, here's what I think was a great presentation, regarding all of that.

Just a possible suggestion: could there not be other expos for other things, or sub-subforums in this expo (or later ones) for other projects? I mean, that's probably more work for you admins, but it could work if enough people were working on tilesets etc.

I feel like the main issue with this is just that there wouldn't be enough demand for it.  New tilesets are uncommon, and loose tiles and music are on the smaller side.  It makes the most sense for the expo to feature quests, and because I'm hungry right now, I'll use this metaphor: we want people to show off their main dish, not the appetizer or side salad.  Is that to say that people don't put enough work into tilesets, tiles, or music?  Heck no.  But quests are definitely the backbone of our community.

• Eddy likes this

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

I'll try entering this year with my main project. I'll just present new information, screens and maybe a video, no demo though. This will be my first expo, so I'm sorta nervous but not really. :P

Quick question: is there going to be a "best..." poll this time around? I'm not sure how to feel about that honestly and I remember it being a thing in past expos.

• Eddy and Jared like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users