Weird Mouse Behavior?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Well, tried looking this up on Google, got a bunch of useless/irrelevant search options (go figure). Anyway, I have this weird issue with my mouse where if I click and drag the cursor, it will rarely act as if I hit the Back button on my browser several times in a row and take me back several pages. If I try to hit forward, it jumps back to whatever page I was on before this happened. Whenever I attempt to replicate this phenomenon, I can't get it to work no matter what. Before you start asking, yes I check for viruses every few days and scan for malware, and I have neither on my computer. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

My mouse is a pretty simple mouse; it's your standard USB mouse with two buttons and a wheel in the middle. Basically your run-of-the-mill $10-$15 mouse.

On another note, why is it on my laptop I have an issue with my sound randomly dying on me? I would just play a game and all of the sudden the entire computer's audio just died for no reason. The only way to fix it was to download new (technically worse) sound card drivers. Yet I never had that problem with my desktop, and I use that way more than my laptop. Not to mention, they're both Dells.

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Do you have any extra control panels installed for the mouse itself, such as Logitech controls? Some of these allow click combinations to perform events (macros), and you might have a situation of that sort. My Dell touchpad control panel, allows this sort of thing using 'gestures', and I disabled the lot of those.

You may have something of that sort installed, from the factory, on a Dell system. They are rather spotty, and good for 'disposable' hardware. Everything that I have owned, and own that was from Dell--sadly a large amount of equipment--has me doing regular patching up of some sort, but they do make decent rugged laptops.

Their embedded chipsets are awful, so video and audio driver issues are rather common. 

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 29 August 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Do you have any extra control panels installed for the mouse itself, such as Logitech controls? Some of these allow click combinations to perform events (macros), and you might have a situation of that sort. My Dell touchpad control panel, allows this sort of thing using 'gestures', and I disabled the lot of those.

You may have something of that sort installed, from the factory, on a Dell system. They are rather spotty, and good for 'disposable' hardware. Everything that I have owned, and own that was from Dell--sadly a large amount of equipment--has me doing regular patching up of some sort, but they do make decent rugged laptops.

Their embedded chipsets are awful, so video and audio driver issues are rather common. 

To be honest, I couldn't answer that question about the mouse. How would I check for it? I'm using an Insignia mouse.

As for the laptop sound issue, it was only on my laptop. It's been fine since changing sound drivers though. Every Dell I've ever owned has served me well. I guess it's just personal experience giving me a bias in favor of it?

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

To be honest, I couldn't answer that question about the mouse. How would I check for it? I'm using an Insignia mouse.

As for the laptop sound issue, it was only on my laptop. It's been fine since changing sound drivers though. Every Dell I've ever owned has served me well. I guess it's just personal experience giving me a bias in favor of it?

They serve me well, too, for the price. I simply know what to expect out of them, and I typically need to replace laptop keyboards twice or thrice every year, but that seems to be with any brand, and the ATG series systems are rather tough. I had a spill early this morning--stout in the keyboard--and it didn't as much as flinch.

For the mouse issue, go to your control panel, and see if there is a Dell Trackpad, or Dell Mouse control panel. Look through each and every control panel object, to see if any of them might be something that could affect the behaviour. These macros that you can configure on mice, and trackpads, can be infuriating.

Last week, some hotkey that I unintentionally pressed, enabled an 'Ease of Access' setting, that changed my keyboard delay rate to some astronomical number. I could quite literally, not type. Every keypress made an audible 'click' noise from the speakers, and no text appeared. That was fun to fix, given that I could no type the control panel name in the main properties window to find the one that I needed to use to disable the setting.

I will also suggest that if you fail to find any software that could be doing this, that you try another mouse, to see if that one in particular behaves different to another one. You can often pick up USB mice at a local thrift for about one quid apiece.

(Incidentally, I miss track-ball input devices. Those are blasted expensive these days.)

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 30 August 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#5 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

Well, tried looking for those settings. They don't exist. So I guess I just have to deal with my problem. And I only buy the cheaper mice/keyboards because why the hell would I spend $60+ for a mouse/keyboard if I could spend only $10 on one? Honestly, the only time I was going through mice fast was when I used to play Minecraft and would spam-click things, causing my buttons to randomly double-click from a single press. That and with keyboards, it took over a year and a half of constant use before my spacebar on the one that came with my desktop started going bad (spacebar randomly not working or double-spacing). Otherwise, it would be that my left CTRL key would sometimes get stuck and only mashing it a few times fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users