Tricks of The Trade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

#16 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 July 2003 - 10:19 PM

here's a trick: when editing atile, pressing the arrow keys makes it move, pressing u undos the last thing you did. You can copy with C, paste with V, and flip the tile with H, R, and V, if you flip a tile, and want it like that (this is only on zc1.90) press N to make that the new position.

Here a good trick for zc 1.90 users:
Use above cset 5 on your combo page! It's possible. Create your tiles on those higher than cset 5, and then do the following: Right click an empty tile, and select one of the ones you just made. On the second gray box to the right, fill it all in, it should be the blue colored one. Then fill in the red one, if the tile has some solidness in it. Here the next part as an example. Say you are doing the above on cset 4 in the combo page. And the tile you made is on cset 7. If you look to the left, there is a thing that says, cset2: and a red number. You would put 3 on it, because 4 plus 3 equals seven. This allows you to use that tile set to cset 4, but with the colors you made it with on cset 7! I foound this pout while experimenting with the rock with water under it on BS tiles. You can even have half, or a quarter of the tile on another cset. It depends on what you fill in in the blue box. Also, DO NOT flip the tile horizontal, or vertical, or both, with the aobve. It scrambles the tile in the combo page. IF you want it flipped, you have to do that in the tile page, and use the buttons I listed on the first trick. This can be very useul if you have colors on another cset that you want to use.

#17 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2003 - 03:46 PM

in 1.92 even layers such as layer 5 can use flags...not just layer 0...i bet you all already knew that icon_sweat.gif

#18 spade_03

spade_03

Initiate

• Members

Posted 10 July 2003 - 08:44 PM

I have found out this crazy sliding door trick for zc 1.90. Only one tile can be used though. Step 1, make 5 tiles, one make a solid block, then the next three make a tile opening little by little and the last tile a empty tile that's a cave or entrance. After that, set them to your combo page, then put them on your secret combo page, in order from closed to open. Now on your secret combo page, put the following flags on these tiles, starting from the one that's a little open (tile 2). 4, 5, then 6 (secret page can have combos, like happyman said in this topic). After that put the closed tile on your screen that you want it on. Put flag 16 on it. Then, go to the secret combos in data. Set 16 to the tile 2 (the one with burn), set burn on the left to tile 3 (the arrow), set the arrow to tile 4 (bomb), then set bomb to the empty cave tile. After that you have to make another tile thats a trigger perm type. If you touch the trigger tile from the bottom, the top half of the tile should be solid. If from the top, blank. If stepped on from the sides, the top half again. When you press the switch the door will slide open real fast. This can be really helpful, as polygon was freaked out when he saw this.

#19 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:48 PM

If you're trying to be specific with colors, on the pallete screen, hit up, down for Green; Home, End for Red; and Page Up, Page Down for Blue.

#20 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 July 2003 - 11:38 AM

Ganon death:

I found out last night how to control Ganon's death. First of all (this one i knew already though), tiles 194, 195, and 196 are the energy beams that shoot out in all eight directions when ganon explodes. 194 - UP, 195 - LEFT, 196 - DIAGONAL UP LEFT

Next, make tile 176 (dust) and set that as dust in the items sprites.

Those are the directions the beams should face. IF I'm right, the beam flashes thorugh every cset. For the next part, I'm sure some of you quest makers who work with newfirst tiles noticed this, or if you beat a newfirst game (My linkdark1 for example), you saw that when ganon exploded, the dust was orange and black. I found out how to fix that last night!

Tiles 73, 74, and 75 is where the default death tiles go. Most people know that you can put enemy death tiles somewhere else, but these three tiles are the ones for ganon's death! First make the three tiles there and color them in. For example, if you colored them in on cset 8, go to your main palettes, highlight cset 8 and press C. This will copy it. Go to the sprite palettes, sheet 1. Paste the cset you just copied with V onto the one that says 5, right under ganon's colors. IF you had problems with the smoke (orange and black) you'lll see that 5 is an old cset from nes, with only 3 colors. Once you place it there, you might want to test it. Make a new .qst file, let's name it TEST. First import your the tiles you just worked on along with the palettes. Then go to rules, put continue with full life, then go to cheats and put for level 4 something easy. MAke 2 screens. The one you start on and the next screen for ganon. Set the dmap to a level and set to cave (just incase). On screen 2 put ganon's room. That's it now save. Open zelda classic and play TEST.qst. Cheat and give yourself about 24 hearts, master sword, red ring, and fill up rupees. Then save game (this way if you want to play with the tiles for ganon you don't have to keep entering the cheat). Kill ganon, and you'll see the death you just made! It put the first 4 tiles together, the second is shrunk with 4 again, and then the third is the same as 2 creating a disentigration. That's it!

I would recommend using these tiles for tiles 73, 74, and 75 (dust blast):

Newfirst appear smoke - Looks like a dust explosion
Newfirst bomb explosion - Looks like a big explosion
NES appear smoke - Looks like explosion of blood

Hope this helps. As for the beams, anything could go well.

#21 Jaivaz

Jaivaz

God of Death

• Banned

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:12 PM

ok this is sumthin used in warriors rise quest and in my quest NOTE:this works only in 1.92 cuz you need the "o"verlap thing...to make it so it looks like when you get the arrow that it looks like you are geting the bow and arrow you simply go and copy (dont paste it) the bow tile and "o"verlap it on top of the arrow tile...then go to quest (i think) select graphics and then select sprites,items...then change the arrow sprite to the new bow and arrow and change the bow to a blank tile...then when you make the starting point of your quest put the item bow on the screen and make sure the bow is on the tile you will land on and make sure that the "hold item" selection is NOT on...then later on when you want link to get the bow and arrow give him the arrow and on the screen it will look like the bow and arrow there its done (note i got this idea from agisis's ((however you spell his name icon_razz.gif )) quest "Warrior's Rise")

#22 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 August 2003 - 09:00 AM

I'm not sure if this was already done or not earlier, (Slow Modem.. can't check... n' all.) But I'll show you how to make moveable pots.

1) Make a backup tile of your pot and potstand.
2) Make the pot stand by itself on a blank/transparent background. (The little x's.)
3) Make a new combo of that. It should be based on the original slashable pot though, just without the grey pot stand in back.
4) Put those transparent-background pots where you want them to be on the screen.
5) Place flag #61 on these.

6) Make a new layer for Layer 1 or 2.

7) Place a copy of the floor that the pots will be able to move on. This is to deceive the undercombo, which only affects Layer 0. Since Layer 1 will have the floor, you can have anything you darn well please on layer 0, as long as its walkable. icon_razz.gif
8. Place those floor borders on layer 2, if you have to. If you don't, all the better! icon_razz.gif icon_kawaii.gif
9) Make sure to have the pot stand without the pot on layer 1 on the floor where the pots are on layer 0.

It will look to you as if there are empty pot stands when all layers are on, but the real pots are simply blocked from view. If you've followed these directions, they are unwalkable pots, fully slashable, and fully moveable, and leave no undercombo thanks to what's on layer 1.

So when you start up the game, everything should look virtually fine. You can push the pot right off of its stand, and you can even slash it too.

Credit goes to Wild Bill for Monthly Zelda 1, and Mr. Z for *thinks* Link's Birthday 2 Demo.

Edited by BH4, 28 August 2003 - 09:08 AM.

#23 LinkZ03

LinkZ03

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 27 September 2003 - 05:21 PM

Here is something I found out earlier today. If you hold Shift and press the arrow keys, you can select multiple tiles when you are editing tiles. This is helpful when you want to copy tons of tiles and you don't want to copy them one at a time. This can also be done when editing combos.

#24 LinkZ03

LinkZ03

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:03 PM

After slashing a bush, you can make it grow back, just like in Ocarina of Time. This is very easy to do.

Instructions:
1. Edit your tiles and make a line of 12 tiles. All of these tiles have to be the tile of the slashed bush.
2. Make another line of 12 tiles. Make 6 of them the same slashed bush tile. For the next one, make the first frame of animation for the bush. Then after that, make the second, then third, etc.
3. Go into the editor and make 3 combos.
-Combo 1: Select the tile for the actual bush. Set its type to bush and make it solid.
-Combo 2: Select the tile as the first slashed bush in the first line of 12 tiles. Make its type (none) and make it a walkable combo. Set its animation frames to 12 and speed to 15.
-Combo 3: Select the tile as the first slashed bush of the second line, not first, of 12 tiles. Make its type (none) and is also walkable. Set its animation frames to 12 and speed to 15.
4. Go back and edit Combo 2 (slashed bush). Click on "Next:". Choose the combo of the bush when it grows back (Combo 3).
5. Also edit Combo 3's "Next:" combo. Make its combo Combo 1 (Actual Bush).
6. On the screens you want these bushes on, set the undercombo to Combo 2 (Slashed bush). Then place the bushes wherever you want and when you slash them, they will always grow back.

If you need help, ask me. I will be working on tiles for this trick. Also remember, you can always change the speed or animation frames to whatever you want so it will work better for you.

EDIT: Forgot to put this earlier. >_<
http://www.ida.net/u...orch/bushes.htm

Edited by LinkZ03, 28 September 2003 - 05:56 PM.

#25 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:26 PM

Would fit better here
I'm not sure how to combine 2 topics so I won't do that.

#26 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 01:38 PM

At the bottom, there in the moderator options, there is a merge topic thing. You know, the scroll down menu.

#27 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 02:17 PM

Yeah, but I'm afraid to use it, might screw things up...

#28 phil

phil

Master

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:01 PM

I don't remember bushes growing back in Ocarina of Time.

#29 LinkZ03

LinkZ03

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(phil @ Sep 28 2003, 05:01 PM)
I don't remember bushes growing back in Ocarina of Time.

I meant the plants. When you are in the Deku Tree and you slash a plant, it will grow back.

#30 Teilyr

Teilyr

• Members

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:28 PM

Merging..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users