Solo: A Star Wars Story

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

As far as the beginning of Solo's backstory in the EU, I thought they established he was a 10 year old thief who got captured by slavers, but not much more than that, right?

Also, one thing that always seemed odd to me about Han being in the Imperial Academy was how he has seemingly no idea how to handle the radio protocol on the Death Star in Episode IV. "We're all fine, here, now, how are you? *cringe*", boring conversation anyway, etc. I wonder if in this movie, maybe he didn't get far enough to learn that kind of thing? For that matter, I wonder how much they'll tell us about the Imperial Academy. Presumably Tie Fighter pilots come from there after they stopped using clones, and we know that's where Biggs went before he defected, and where Luke wanted to go if not for Uncle Owen constantly putting it off in favor of keeping Luke on the moisture farm. But we never really saw anything about the academy until now, except probably in EU works.

Depends on which story you read and believe to be canon. In the Han Solo trilogy (The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn) he's raised on a smuggler's ship by this man known as Garris Shrike. There was also an aged Wookiee female Han was close to, which sort of explains his affinity for Chewie later I guess?

Han was told he was an orphan and when he later gets away and finds his cousin Thrackan Sal-Solo; they discuss the fact that his parents disappeared mysteriously. (But they're not named.) In fact, doing research at Wookieepedia; their very names are only referenced in one story. (Which I don't remember, but that was eons ago.)

The entire Imperial Academy episode is also glossed over, though Han does sign up under his real name. (This is significant because before this he operated under a variety of aliases.) Then he gets kicked out quickly for interfering in Chewie's mistreatment as a slave. And the rest is history...

Regarding the newer preview, I actually find it less interesting than the shorter one. Hard to say why, though. 

#17 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Weird thing I've been wondering about unrelated to plot or characters: What rating will it have? PG-13 again? Or will it be the first Star Wars film since 2002 to have a simple PG rating?

*Star Wars: The Clone Wars waves quietly from the distant year of 2008.*

Like I said, first film since 2002.

I honestly wonder sometimes though whether the first five films would get re-classified as PG-13 if they were resubmitted to current ratings boards. I mean, think about it:

A New Hope - The smoking corpses of Aunt and Beru plus bloody severed arm.

Empire Strikes Back - How about cutting open a tauntaun's guts? Or Luke getting his arm swiped off? Or kissing, ew cooties.

Return of the Jedi - Suggestive outfits during the Jabba sequence qualifies, and pretty sure there's visible nipples on the Twi'lek even with the "wardrobe malfunction" supposedly corrected in future rereleases. Also Luke's lightning torture is fairy intense.

The Phantom Menace - Might be the safest one. Worst I could think of they could fixate on are all the deaths in the podrace, Qui-Gon getting stabbed, and Maul getting bisected.

Attack of the Clones - Two different arms dismembered, plus a lot of Geonosian-related violence, such as being cut in pieces or crushed by machinery in the factory. Also the death of Anakin's mother and his subsequent rampage on the Tuskens.

Ratings boards in the 70s/80s were way different (no way any Indiana Jones film would retain a PG rating now), but it's somewhat surprising Episodes I and II didn't get hit with a PG-13. Well, more so II. Again, I can see the case for The Phantom Menace remaining PG.

#18 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Are tauntaun guts really worse than Darth Maul getting cut in half and Qui Gon getting impaled through the chest? I think technically Phantom Menace might be worse than ESB.

I still haven't seen The Last Jedi, but TFA and what I've heard about Rogue One (I've read spoilers and don't plan to see it anytime super soon, except maybe just clips of Vader and Tarkin), combined with considering the destruction of Alderaan in episode IV and the entire crew of the Death Star (and what you just mentioned about the bloody arm and the smouldering corpses- by the way, don't forget Greedo!-), it actually kind of surprises me how gentle and non-depressing Empire Strikes Back really is. It's a lot of people getting beat up and upset, but not a lot of dying or misery or irrepairable damage. Even on Hoth the rebels get away. Except Dak. And then there's Admiral Ozzel I guess, and some dudes on the AT-ATs that were destroyed. But still, I think ESB might be just as tame as TPM, really.

Edited by Mitsukara, 06 February 2018 - 08:59 PM.

#19 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Are tauntaun guts really worse than Darth Maul getting cut in half and Qui Gon getting impaled through the chest? I think technically Phantom Menace might be worse than ESB.

It's more the idea that the guts make it a bit more visceral and a little sickening (I know little me hated the scene), whereas the absence of blood or gore with Qui-Gon and Maul make it less gruesome. Although there does seem to be some kind of odd effect the moment Maul gets bisected that could maybe be blood, but it's so blink-and-you-miss-it that it's not as big a deal.

May not be the case for all kids but seems to be for most of them: Violence is all fun and good until we actually see the blood/guts/etc., then it's frightening. I embodied this trope; heck, one time my ear was bitten by a puppy (during play, it didn't mean to) and it hurt, but it wasn't until I put my fingers to the ear and they came back bloody I started crying.

#20 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

I think the Tauntaun guts always looked like foam packing peanuts to me.

It was when Luke went inside that it got gross.

In regards to this movie I wonder whether Chewie or the droid is the better co-pilot.

And if his girlfriend is going to say Han's a scoundrel I hope that line is just trailer fodder and cut from the final film (like the "I'm a rebel, I rebel" line from RO)

Edited by Cukeman, 07 February 2018 - 12:46 AM.

#21 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

Ratings boards in the 70s/80s were way different (no way any Indiana Jones film would retain a PG rating now), but it's somewhat surprising Episodes I and II didn't get hit with a PG-13. Well, more so II. Again, I can see the case for The Phantom Menace remaining PG.

Well, one of the things you have to remember is that PG-13 wasn't introduced until 1984; because of the violence in the second Indy film. There are some PG movies out there with full nudity (even if just for a brief scene).

As far as the original movies go, the first one probably had the most. Granted that the others did too, but by that time Lucas had discovered the magic of marketing.

#22 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

solo-teaser-poster-02-691x1024.jpg

... maybe Donald Glover will be alright.

• ywkls likes this

#23 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

I think that the actor you showed in the spoiler in the first post in this thread isn't Donald Glover becuase the two pictures look nothing alike. And yes, he does look authentic.

#24 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:08 PM

Tentacles stopped looking alien about 15 years ago.

#25 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:55 PM

New trailer: 

Increasingly not sold on the new guy as Han.

#26 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:31 PM

Honestly, I'm more sold on Han than on Lando. Not just because of how they look, but how they act. Chewie looks and acts fine as far as I can tell.

My thoughts are: looks like a decent film, but I don't know if the characters will feel like the same ones from later...

#27 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 09 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Okay watched it.

"I know a guy"

If Ant Man's in it, I guess it's crossing over with Marvel...

The "so glad we took this job" thing from the robot sounds cringe, otherwise impressed by the look of it.

Kinda neat to see the western train robbery in a futuristic world

I guess Lando's line foreshadows Han saying "It's all true [the force, the jedi] all of it"

Edited by Cukeman, 09 April 2018 - 03:17 PM.

#28 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 13 April 2018 - 05:22 AM

plot point guess

Edited by Cukeman, 13 April 2018 - 05:22 AM.

#29 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:20 AM

If only they made a four-hour long frame shot of Mark Hamil taking a leak on his island and called it 'Solo: A Jedi Story'.

Coming soon: 'Star Wars: The Last Original Cast Member' starring Anthony Daniels.

I want to see Darth Sideous return and zap Ben Solo in the next film. He's not cut out to be Sith.

#30 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Saw it. Loved it. When's the sequel?

(Will discuss any plot points in spoilers at a later time once other people report they've seen it.)

Overall impression: Characters, story, action, everything was right and felt much more in harmony with the overall Star Wars universe than Rogue One. Did some stuff I didn't expect. Lots of subtle nods to the Expanded Universe. If you like Han's character, I feel you won't be disappointed by his portrayal here.

• Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users