Photo

Zelda Classic 2.53.0 Beta Release 2 (Official)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
118 replies to this topic

#1 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

Here is Zelda Classic 2.53.0 Beta 2 for Windows

The Build ID for this release is '31', to distinguish between 2.50.3RC1 (Build ID '30') and earlier ZC releases.
We would appreciate bug reports on any of the following:

• Playing quests made in 1.92, 2.10, 2.50.x and reporting any compatibility bugs.
  • Verification that scripts made in 2.50.0, 2.50.1, 2.50.2, and 2.50.3RC1 still work.
  • Testing that scripts compiled in 2.53.0 work properly in 2.53.0.
  • Tests that scripted quests compiled and saved in 2.53.0 work proper;y on 2.50.2 (and/or 2.50.3RC1).
  • Bug reports on any changes, or new features.
  • Bug reports on joystick configuration.

Please note: The std.zh files in this package may not represent what will be included in the final release. It is likely that the std.zh changes will be pushed forward to 2.54 or later, and not included; but they will be available as a separate download. The latest versions of all common ZScript headers will be included in the final release.

There are also a few loose files to prune. This release is built on the Allegro library, version 4.4, and it includes new Allegro library files.

Changelog

Thank you for testing, and for your feedback!

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 14 July 2017 - 04:52 PM.

• Sheik and Jared like this

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

You've acknowledged my report about the string.zh issue, but I'm gonna just repeat everything else I mentioned, here.

ZC randomly switched my windows theme to windows 7 basic once, but it was a one-time thing.

I clicked the Debug Console button in ZC because I was curious, then closed the debug console and it closed my ZC without warning. It's a trap feature in my opinion.

My quests run about 60 uncapped frames slower in windowed mode.

When i opened the launcher for the first 2 times or so some of the fields were blank by default.

And lastly I have a script that works differently in this version:

Spoiler

Sorry for uncommented code. This is the script for an item that draws an expanding giant bow and then shoots some arrows. The part that works differently in this version is where the expanding bow is drawn on the screen. The destination positions seem to be far more to the right.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

You've acknowledged my report about the string.zh issue, but I'm gonna just repeat everything else I mentioned, here.

ZC randomly switched my windows theme to windows 7 basic once, but it was a one-time thing.

I clicked the Debug Console button in ZC because I was curious, then closed the debug console and it closed my ZC without warning. It's a trap feature in my opinion.

My quests run about 60 uncapped frames slower in windowed mode.

When i opened the launcher for the first 2 times or so some of the fields were blank by default.

And lastly I have a script that works differently in this version:

Spoiler

Sorry for uncommented code. This is the script for an item that draws an expanding giant bow and then shoots some arrows. The part that works differently in this version is where the expanding bow is drawn on the screen. The destination positions seem to be far more to the right.

The reason this happens, is that closing it kills the allegro thread.

I could display a warning message when the user opens the console. This is what happens if the console is opened by ag.cfg as well, and it has always been this way. Many ZScript developers use this as a feature, to kill the ZC process if they do something that locks it up, although I'll admit that it will confuse someone the first time that they do it.

Previously, it was impossible to close the console, without killing ZC. Now, you can close it by going back to the menu, so that might be an improvement as well.

I'm not sure if I can add a dialogue to the close icon in the Windows UI, so that clicking it displays a warning.

The issue that you are having with your script might be caused by a change to the Distance() function. I'll put up another beta release with the proper std.zh files soon, and you can retry. How far off is it, from what it should be?

You can check if this is the cause, by copying over std.zh from a 2.50.2 build, to this beta directory, and recompiling.

Windowed mode will always run slower (uncapped) than fullscreen, as your desktop is not the same colour depth as the window output, so there are extra steps involved to blit. Insofar as the Windows desktop theme is concerned, that is an unexpected allegro issue, but I don't think that we can do anything to fix it. I have never changed themes.

Which launcher fields were blank? We will likely need to update zlaunch for this build.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 July 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

How far off is it, from what it should be?

You can check if this is the cause, by copying over std.zh from a 2.50.2 build, to this beta directory, and recompiling.

Can't tell how far off it is. But yes, copying over std.zh from 2.50.2 fixed the issue.

Windowed mode will always run slower (uncapped) than fullscreen, as your desktop is not the same colour depth as the window output, so there are extra steps involved to blit. Insofar as the Windows desktop theme is concerned, that is an unexpected allegro issue, but I don't think that we can do anything to fix it. I have never changed themes.

I meant it runs 60 frames slower than in 2.50.2.

Which launcher fields were blank? We will likely need to update zlaunch for this build.

Spoiler

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

Those fields would be populated automatically if there weren't an incomplete ag.cfg included. I don't really know why that happens, but just removing the file would fix it.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

Can't tell how far off it is. But yes, copying over std.zh from 2.50.2 fixed the issue.

I would appreciate screenshots of each. Is it a few pixels, or halfway across the screen? The change to Distance() was to correct flaws in its output. There was also a flag in std.cfg used by the newer std.zh system, to use the old distance method on compilation.

I meant it runs 60 frames slower than in 2.50.2.

I'm not sure what the culprit is there, but there are quite a lot of changes that occurred, and this frameloss may be inevitable.

Spoiler

Something strange is happening with ag.cfg at present, too. On my end, every time that ZQuest closes, ag.cfg is corrupted.

Did you not encounter this Avataro?

For me, exiting ZQuest corrupts ag.cfg, and ZQuest thereafter will not open. I think that ag.cfg is being written through the packfile encryption.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 July 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#7 Zeldaman23

Zeldaman23

Darkie & Dhane

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Will this work any quest work below 2.5.2 to 2.5?  Because I want use this on Randomizer.  It much easier than bunch of quest require RC and alot randomly number they have for 2,5 build.

Pardon me.  I didn't read it very carefully.  *Notice there is no 1.90 able to play*  *beep*!  It will be nice to have cover censor like Conker in game.  When they use bad word, they use weird symbol they made same in Super Mario RPG when Geno tried to use his real name, but rather Geno instead his real name.

Edited by Zeldaman23, 11 July 2017 - 05:41 PM.

• Shane and Matthew like this

#8 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Will this work any quest work below 2.5.2 to 2.5?  Because I want use this on Randomizer.  It much easier than bunch of quest require RC and alot randomly number they have for 2,5 build.

All 2.50.x quests should work in 2.53. That is the main goal.

A new beta will be up as soon as we fix the ag.cfg issue. I do not have time today to llook at it, possibly tomorrow unless DD fixes it in the interim.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 July 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#9 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

Criticals:

Fulscreen Fix - works

PS3 Pad (and general controller code) - works

Full quest LP and test results coming.

-James

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

Criticals:

Fulscreen Fix - works
PS3 Pad (and general controller code) - works

Full quest LP and test results coming.

-James

Actually, the fullscreen 'fix' in 2.53 is minimal. 2.55/2.60 is where th real fix is in place. Allegro 4.4 simply works better in Win 7 and above.

Please keep the reports coming, and thank you James.

#11 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

The hit flicker stuff has been fixed, good.

Now for the bad:  More controller code stuff (don't have any other controller to test, won't until August):

https://www.twitch.t...=hY4TlKR00BQT6A:  More Specific Examples

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/158458012:  The Entire Test

Quest Used:  New Quest Rebuilt.

If you need the allegro.log file let me know.

-James

Edited by Nightmare, 11 July 2017 - 09:50 PM.

• Shane likes this

#12 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

You listed the fixes and all but I kinda want to know what new features can we expect in this build as opposed to what features already exist in 2.50.2

Edited by FireSeraphim, 12 July 2017 - 03:39 AM.

• Jared likes this

#13 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

[edit] Apologies in advance if it sounds like I'm ranting...I just had a crappy day and typing stuff with my knuckles makes me feel better. :P

-How in the world is it possible to turn a Distance() function into a twisted mess of broken dreams and urine? I'm still not sure, but at least now I know that human ape-like creatues can do it given about 5000 years or so of practice...

-The debug console can drop your FPS by consuming so many cycles doing io. Also the allegro4.4 is slightly slower than the allegro4.2 library (probably due to bugfixes), but it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

-@Avataro: Can you compare a non-scripted quest in this to the same quest in 2.50.whatever and see if the FPS are still way off?
-And the same thing again with a scripted quest? I'll look into it. (I have a hunch)

-I still have no idea how this naming convention works. Is 2.53 before or after 2.54?

#14 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

[edit] Apologies in advance if it sounds like I'm ranting...I just had a crappy day and typing stuff with my knuckles makes me feel better. :P

-How in the world is it possible to turn a Distance() function into a twisted mess of broken dreams and urine? I'm still not sure, but at least now I know that human ape-like creatues can do it given about 5000 years or so of practice...

I don't know how it could achieve a result that is dramatically different. The present distance function accepts irrational values when it tries to do Sqrt(). It was not meant to be included in this release anyway, as all of the revised std.h stuff is still on the table for discussion, not for inclusion.

-The debug console can drop your FPS by consuming so many cycles doing io. Also the allegro4.4 is slightly slower than the allegro4.2 library (probably due to bugfixes), but it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Aye. The process of writing to disc is slow as hell, for some reason. I don't think that using an SSD makes any difference either, but I believe that if it was display/terminal-only, it would be faster. Allegro writing to disc is dreadful.

A 60fps difference doesn't tell me anything. I do not know the total numbers, to comprehend what percentage of a drop this is for him. If his normal frames are 700 and he is seeing 640, that is a 9% drop. If his total frames are 3000, and he is losing 60, then it is a 0.5% drop. I need relative values to understand why this is a problem. For all I know, it is a Windows 8/10 thing and is related to his allegro settings, as I believe he had the same issue with 2.50.3RC1, and the main difference there was in the basic allegro configuration for ZELDA-DX.

-@Avataro: Can you compare a non-scripted quest in this to the same quest in 2.50.whatever and see if the FPS are still way off?
-And the same thing again with a scripted quest? I'll look into it. (I have a hunch)

Care to relay this one?

-I still have no idea how this naming convention works. Is 2.53 before or after 2.54?

Before. In theory, 2.53 in August/September, as the last in the line of versions that are 2.50 compatible--meaning that 2.53 quests still run in 2.50. 2.54 to follow in Dec/Jan, pulling only stable features that are in master and that will not change. Mostly some ZScript stuff, such as itemdata, DrawBitmapEx, and similar stuff that we know that we will retain.

That one will produce quests that only run in 2.54 and later, and this should be the trend thereafter. Stop letting everyone run hackish quests that play in older/ancient player versions that we need to support indefinitely.

Releases with only critical bugfixes would be another matter, but if the bugfix introduces a change that could affect how quests run in old players, it may as well be a new version to prevent massive issues with backported quests. COMBOSM should be a lesson here.

I've started using 2.60 for the present 'master'. The changes are so radical at this point, that it is bearing far less of a resemblance to 2.50.x than to a wholly new animal. The changes are so damned drastic, that I expect it to takes months of testing to fully resolve it into a Gamma, and I see us taking months just to finish implementation. DD is rewriting all of the classes and structs, and probably Link too; plus the revised script system, the nearly entirely rewritten parser, and all of my changes. It's going to be a bunch of hell.

You listed the fixes and all but I kinda want to know what new features can we expect in this build as opposed to what features already exist in 2.50.2

This is not a 'new feature' release. 2.53.0 exists to stabilise 2.50.2 and 2.50.3 into one unified body, as a final stable 2.50.x version. it is the end of the 2.50 era, and I intentionally left out all of the new ZScript stuff, engine changes, parser changes, and such, that were not bugfixes.

A final, stable 2.50.x base is mandated, before adding new stuff into the mix.

I can probably put the new favourite commands in there, as those do not affect compatibility.

New features will probably first appear around the new year.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 12 July 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#15 Nightmare

Nightmare

Original ZC Tester

• Members

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

If you're going to nm ot run the old stuff, I highly suggest changing the name. It's a different game at that point and not based off of Zelda 1.

Just saying. (not necessarily a bad thing)

-James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users