Photo

Screenshot of the Week 521

Joelmacool12 ywkls vaualbus Twilight-Prince

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 521 (62 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:55 PM

Joelmacool12

Joelmacool12.png

Its night-time at your home town...

ywkls

ywkls.png

No, Link; you are definitely not in Kansas anymore.

vaualbus

vaualbus.png

Link wonder why he found himeself in such hell place.

Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince.png

Son'as adventures to protect her realm now takes her to---...wait a sec, is this the right quest? Something about this location feels...familiar...

• Twilight-Prince, Joelmacool, AtrusW0nder and 1 other like this

#2 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

If I hadn't entered this one, I'd give my vote to ywkls. Nice remaster of one of Oracle of Ages' early screens~

• ywkls likes this

#3 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

I'm in this one, so I'm not voting. Now for my commentary on the others.

Joelmacool12- the lighted torches effect is the best thing about this screen. There's a number 6 on one of the dirt tiles (don't know if that's an error or not.) Otherwise, it's a fairly generic classic screen.

vaualbus- that screen looks like it would indeed be very dangerous. You've got spikes on the floor, things that look like (and may be) traps, what appears to be a Beamos and a bunch of lighted torches. I'm curious, do the little gear things on the top wall have any significance?

Twilight-Prince- a very dark, atmospheric shot. I like the two places on the middle island where the water is coming out. As for exactly why this is supposed to feel familiar, I really don't have a clue.

Pretty good job by all.

If I hadn't entered this one, I'd give my vote to ywkls. Nice remaster of one of Oracle of Ages' early screens~

From the Screenshot of the week rules- If you enter the contest, you may vote for yourself if you choose. Of course, you may also vote for a competitor or decline to vote altogether.

And yes, I really love that shot. Makes me want to get on with designing that quest, but I have other stuff to do first.

Edited by ywkls, 16 August 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#4 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

I would have voted for Twilight Prince if his image doesn't seem so broken. The atmosphere instantly hits me, but the moment I look at the minor details I really suggest you work with this tileset a bit more. Get some practice in.

Only Joel's image stands out for me this week. I voted for Joel, he gets 6 out of 5 this week.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 16 August 2015 - 10:09 PM.

• Demonlink likes this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:21 AM

Joelmacool12 - This is a really cool screen. I love the torch effects and the diagonal water tiles. Can't believe I thought this was a cave at first though, probably should pay more attention to stuff :P But yeah, really cool effects. There could be a bit more design on the ground but other than that, it's really good.

ywkls - Mate, are you remaking OoA before I get to do that with AR3? Nah but seriously, this is a really cool remix of the Forest of Time. I don't really have any criticisms with it.

vaualbus - It's an interesting screen, I'll admit, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I can't really understand why the torches are red though, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but other than that, it's a pretty hellish screen.

Twilight-Prince - This is a pretty neat screen. I especially love the middle isle. My only problems with it are the boundaries between the ground and the water. They just don't look right at all and don't even look like there's supposed to be a boundary between the ground and water.

Overall, it was really close between ywkls and Joelmacool12, but in the end, I went for ywkls.

• ywkls and Logos like this

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

ywkls - Mate, are you remaking OoA before I get to do that with AR3? Nah but seriously, this is a really cool remix of the Forest of Time. I don't really have any criticisms with it.

Not exactly a remake, so much as a sequel. The dungeons won't be in the same place, the overworld won't be a precise copy and I'll probably create new bosses. And instead of a past and present world; there will be a 'normal world' and a 'mirror world'. I think I surprised myself by how good this turned out. Basically, I took a map of the original Labrynna, then created the screen while looking at that map.

Thanks for your support!

• Eddy likes this

#7 Sparkster

Sparkster

The Sparking Spark of ZC

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

I'm giving my vote to Joelmacool12. Those are nice classic diagonal shores. Twilight-Prince screenshot has some tiles not included in DoR but it has a lack of some transitions. But hey. Don't give up.

#8 WhippyBoi

WhippyBoi

You don't belong in this world

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

Twilight-Prince gets my vote. It reminds me of the entrance to Level 5 in Dawn to Twilight.

• Twilight-Prince likes this

#9 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:16 AM

Joelmacool12 - a nice Original-inspired shot that, at first glance, looked like a face to me, complete with glowing eyes and brown dock tooth.  It looks very busy to me- part of the elegance of the original tileset is in the 'blank' spaces.  If your screen was a drum solo, you're trying too hard to fill every possible second with noise.  Also, why is that dock there?  Also also, someone who came through here dropped their '6'.  Or maybe it's a 'g' and we're just reading it upside down?

ywkls - A nice Minish Cap/Four Swords motif, even if inspired by one of my least favorite Zelda games (the Oracles series).  The grasses seemed weird to me- there wasn't enough distinction between short grass and tall, making the 'edge' drawn by them less-than-effective.  My eyes can't distinguish clear barriers much of the time when other objects get involved.

vaualbus - a good, solid screen.  Dangerous, obviously.  If the door you walk through was a shutter, I'd be cursing you as I entered.  So, boots are probably in order, I'm guessing?  The Beamos, if it works, is a devious touch when you're already having to watch out for the spike traps and the spike floors.  If those firepits were actually fireball spewing statues, then this room would be officially unfair.

Twilight-Prince- my choice for the week.  The central island and large cave mouth is compelling- it makes me want to go see what's in there.  Like others above, I'm not a big fan of the square transitions from land to water, though they obviously bug me less in your image.  It's the corners that do me in- those large triangles of 'frosting' sticking out into the water don't look right.

• Twilight-Prince likes this

#10 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

I really liked Joel's. So I voted for him this week.

#11 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:31 AM

Joel - good classic shot, really like the mountain design. The diagonal water is snazzy too. I also see that 6 hidden in the dirt. Got my vote.

Ywkls - it's good. The ground could use a bit more detail.

Vaualbus - the red torches look really weird. So does the fact that there's so many torches in 1 room. Clear some of them out so you can make your cave not a perfect rectangle

Twilight - the ground looks ugly, which works for the area and atmosphere. The left waterfall is a bit nonsensical and I don't understand why you didn't use water borders at all, kind of ruined the shot for me.

#12 Twilight-Prince

Twilight-Prince

The Adversary

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

Twilight-Prince gets my vote. It reminds me of the entrance to Level 5 in Dawn to Twilight.

That's exactly what it is~

#13 AtrusW0nder

AtrusW0nder

Creator

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

Now that I figured out what it is...I vote for it as it has an afinity with me....However, I would have love to see some smog among the mist... Nevertheless, well done!

#14 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

To me Joel's is definitely the best,

-Strike

#15 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:02 AM

After I saw ywlks' shot, it made me wonder if that screen actually existed in OoA, and sure enough, it does.  Voted here.

• ywkls likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joelmacool12, ywkls, vaualbus, Twilight-Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users