Photo

Screenshot of the Week 278

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ (46 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Russ - 4/10
Cliff details can be much better. Ground details are decent. Entry point from lower left is barely a place to stand, and the same for the east ledge if it is accessible from the screen to the east. The screen also lacks activity. No protagonist, no enemies, and no subscreen. It looks more like a work in progress than a completed screen.

jimmyb - 7/10
A great selection of tiles put together very well to make a complete real room. The rug in the center really brings the rest of the room together too. Stuff like that makes for great detail without sacrificing walkability. A bit of awkwardness though: how the bedpost covers part of the north window, and how the furnace is placed partially in front of the north stud. The wall studs are a nice touch, but I wonder if just one other thing could be added to either the west or east wall without it taking up floor space, such as a tapestry or something else more representative of what the room is supposed to be for the quest.

Furion - 6/10
Ah, good old Metroid, and what looks like a good sidescroller for ZC. I would have loved to see some action in the screen though, and perhaps a subscreen portion, but you may not have the latter done yet. With that design, the screen just cries for at least one enemy, and our lovely female protagonist.

Alestance - 6/10
Interesting bushes, although quite a lot of them. I am not sure how I feel about trees being buried in them like that, since I am not quite used to this one yet. The front door seems quite a bit too close to the bushes for comfort. Perhaps two paces instead of one in front of the door would look a little better, as it would give a little more comfort in the placement of the house. Perhaps the southeast corner of the ground could be rounded a bit too. Love the grass, the dirt road, and the building itself, though.

Sheik - 7/10
I love seeing gameboy graphics pop up again. The walls seem to fit very well with the sky. Some of the grass details in the northwest portion are a bit awkward, though. Perhaps it is that some of the types of grass don't seem to fit well with some of the other types in that arrangement, mainly because there are too many types crammed together in that small area. Perhaps just sticking to two or three types of grass would be for the better. I can't say which among them are the best choices, but you should play around with it to find out what appeals most.

Most of these screens here that are generally good, but they can certainly be brushed up in specific ways to make them look better. Establishing that, my vote goes to jimmyb.

#17 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Dec 6 2009, 05:49 AM) View Post

[...]

Sheik - 7/10
I love seeing gameboy graphics pop up again. The walls seem to fit very well with the sky. Some of the grass details in the northwest portion are a bit awkward, though. Perhaps it is that some of the types of grass don't seem to fit well with some of the other types in that arrangement, mainly because there are too many types crammed together in that small area. Perhaps just sticking to two or three types of grass would be for the better. I can't say which among them are the best choices, but you should play around with it to find out what appeals most.
[...]

Thanks for that in-detail-comment of yours. Is very useful indeed =).
Well, about the grass. I must say, you're right! I should totally remove those layered ones.

#18 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:20 AM

Russ:

Hmmm... the use of my mountains has some problems here. I felt I really needed to point it out in an image. I've highlighted the tiles that need to be changed to become correct.

IPB Image

Jimmyb:

Great shot overall, though a bit dark and squarish. Your subscreen seems a little overly busy. The background frame (behind the green frame in the center) and the double designs in the left-hand corner are a bit too much. I'd remove the light grey ornate design (below and to the right of the rupee counter) and choose a different background frame. I know these are what the DoR set has to work with, but that doesn't mean you need to overdo it.

Furion:

Good all-around 8-bit Metroid screen. Couldn't think of anything to improve upon it... except enemies, a player character, a subscreen, and some action. icon_razz.gif

Alestance:

The subscreen seems a bit cramped and the forest brush is a bit empty, but otherwise this is a decent shot.

Sheik:

I can't find anything wrong with this shot. The colors are very appealing, too. I like how it does more than the Gameboy could, but still feels like it's on a Gameboy. Great job. icon_smile.gif

I voted for Sheik.

#19 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

I voted Shiek, though I thought each shot was well-done in their own respect. icon_smile.gif

#20 Alex-Link

Alex-Link

Alex-Link

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

My vote goes to Sheik, it's a really good screenie overall!

#21 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Dec 6 2009, 10:20 AM) View Post

Sheik:

I can't find anything wrong with this shot. The colors are very appealing, too. I like how it does more than the Gameboy could, but still feels like it's on a Gameboy. Great job. icon_smile.gif
I voted for Sheik.

That Palette was made by Joe123, at least that's what the tileset says. It's awesome. And thanks.

Also, thanks everyone else.

#22 Harken

Harken

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

Wow! Sheik's entry was well-done! I do love the old gameboy graphics!

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:07 AM

Russ: 5/10
Not a shabby entry, but Radien and Nathaniel totally nailed most of my critiques. It feels a lot like LttP, which unfortunately had a fairly mundanely designed overworld; without the monsters or Link to add interest, it's just completely dead.
jimmyb: 7/10
Not a bad interior shot at all; the details are well-placed and work great. However, I wonder if you could cut into the room with the wall on the bottom-right side; it's not doing much as it is and I think a non-rectangular room makes an interior more interesting with very little effort.
Furion: 7/10
This is really hard to judge... but out of principle, I can't give a ZQuest shot full marks. icon_confused.gif It looks very interesting though, and I can't really critique the design portion.
Alestance: 6/10
The lack of details in the brush really kills this shot. icon_frown.gif I like to throw in areas where the vegetation recedes and you can use ground details in an otherwise unwalkable space. Of course, overhead and shadows help as well.
Sheik: 8/10
Great flow and palette; it doesn't even feel like a dungeon shot (good thing). I love how you used the ground details on the left side; it's exactly how I would've done it. icon_biggrin.gif

#24 MrMister

MrMister

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:09 PM

Damn, there's a lot of good shots this week, in fact, none of them are bad at all! Tough choice to make, but again I am a sucker for the Gameboy tileset, so I voted for Sheik!

Great job everyone!

#25 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:22 PM

Russ - 0 votes = [0.00%]
jimmyb - 3 votes = [6.98%]
Furion - 1 votes = [2.33%]
Alestance - 4 votes = [9.30%]
Sheik - 35 votes = [81.40%]
Total Votes: 43

Sheik
IPB Image
Inspired by TMC's Wind Palace.
In a landslide, Shiek is the victor! Congratulations. icon_smile.gif

We only have two shots so far for next week; normally I wouldn't put out a reminder, but we are nearing SotY time so it's important we can keep this month on schedule. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users