Terraria!

• Please log in to reply
691 replies to this topic

#16 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:41 AM

^Yes you can. More than any other game, this is heavily inspired by Minecraft, from the world format to craftin tables, and survival horror.

God damn. First viewer question: What inspired you to make such a fun game?

His answer: Oh, well Redigit (creator) came up with most of the ideas, the rest of us production team add a lot to the game... we are inspired by other games, but we don't take an idea directly...

He says as his character is moving stuff to a crafting table. I really don't care how these guys are justifying it, but it seems to me they really think their product is unique enough where credit doesn't need to be paid to the predecessors that they're grabbing ideas from, and that's arrogant. Not to mention ridiculously self indulgent citing the production team before the vague "other games we like".

#17 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE(Timothy McCorgi @ May 4 2011, 02:41 PM) View Post

^Yes you can. More than any other game, this is heavily inspired by Minecraft, from the world format to craftin tables, and survival horror.

God damn. First viewer question: What inspired you to make such a fun game?

His answer: Oh, well Redigit (creator) came up with most of the ideas, the rest of us production team add a lot to the game... we are inspired by other games, but we don't take an idea directly...

He says as his character is moving stuff to a crafting table. I really don't care how these guys are justifying it, but it seems to me they really think their product is unique enough where credit doesn't need to be paid to the predecessors that they're grabbing ideas from, and that's arrogant. Not to mention ridiculously self indulgent citing the production team before the vague "other games we like".

The problem is that the second they go "This has some obvious inspirational ties to Minecraft", they open up a window where they are acknowledging that the game is indeed based on certain elements from another (copyrighted) game. Thing is, once that is done, IF Notch decided that it's too close (he won't, but theoretically), he could actually win in a court.

Now that's been said, I had written up a post earlier, but I decided not to post it due to poor wording on my part. I (mostly) agree with ShadowTiger though. In fact, one of my examples included comparisons between Call of Duty and Battlefield 2. They're both online first person shooters, but comparing the two titles on deeper levels than that is simply wrong. They're not the same game, they don't offer the same kind of play and they simply aren't comparable in that respect. It's apples and oranges.

That said, Terraria is more similar to Minecraft than Battlefield is to Call of Duty, but you get my point hopefully. In the end of the day, I have mixed opinions about this whole thing. Terraria is FAAAR from the only game to "ripoff" Minecraft, and it's actually one of the first similar games I have seen that actually has unique and original ideas.

Either way, none of us have played it yet, so judging the game, in any way, is wrong. Play it first, then decide if it's too Minecraft'y or not.

#18 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Actually, from watching the playthroughs, I'm starting to get the feeling that at some point, Terraria becomes more of a multiplayer dungeon romp and leveling game. You don't so much mine for resources to build blocks, but to get better stuff. There's no item durability yet, so you're not constantly mining for upkeep. I mean, that's a Dungeon Keeper thing, not a Minecraft thing. In Dungeon Keeper, you mine out the surrounding blocks for build space and to find veins of gold. (Veins of iron / gold ore, anyone?) In Terraria, you're mining for resources to improve yourself to the point where you can defeat a boss to enter a dungeon to get some pretty neat stuff.

I've only seen them actually build things to attract NPCs and to build blocks to climb out of pits. How the hell is that so similar to Minecraft that people can complain?

I mean, what about the inspiration behind Minecraft? Why isn't anyone complaining that Notch got his idea from Infiniminer? The difference between Terraria and Minecraft vs Minecraft and Infiniminer is negligible in comparison. You may redirect your complaints now.

#19 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Robin @ May 4 2011, 07:38 AM) View Post

The problem is that the second they go "This has some obvious inspirational ties to Minecraft", they open up a window where they are acknowledging that the game is indeed based on certain elements from another (copyrighted) game.

Notch clearly stated that Minecraft was very heavily based off of Infiniminer and some other game I forget the name of. I'm pretty sure they can say it was based off of Minecraft as long as they only copy the basic ideas (crafting things with a crafting table, randomly generated world made of blocks, mining, ect.) and not actually copying actual original ideas from Minecraft (such as the creeper enemy), I think they're safe. But I honestly don't think they copied anything from Minecraft that Minecraft hadn't already copied from somewhere else. On top of that, this game updates much faster and has more STUFF! If Notch can't keep up, well, sucks to be him.

#20 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Terraria, Minecraft with decent combat capabilities and decent enemy variety added in!

#21 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(Robin @ May 4 2011, 08:38 AM) View Post

The problem is that the second they go "This has some obvious inspirational ties to Minecraft", they open up a window where they are acknowledging that the game is indeed based on certain elements from another (copyrighted) game. Thing is, once that is done, IF Notch decided that it's too close (he won't, but theoretically), he could actually win in a court.

Now that's been said, I had written up a post earlier, but I decided not to post it due to poor wording on my part. I (mostly) agree with ShadowTiger though. In fact, one of my examples included comparisons between Call of Duty and Battlefield 2. They're both online first person shooters, but comparing the two titles on deeper levels than that is simply wrong. They're not the same game, they don't offer the same kind of play and they simply aren't comparable in that respect. It's apples and oranges.

That said, Terraria is more similar to Minecraft than Battlefield is to Call of Duty, but you get my point hopefully. In the end of the day, I have mixed opinions about this whole thing. Terraria is FAAAR from the only game to "ripoff" Minecraft, and it's actually one of the first similar games I have seen that actually has unique and original ideas.

Either way, none of us have played it yet, so judging the game, in any way, is wrong. Play it first, then decide if it's too Minecraft'y or not.
I don't think the Battlefield/Call of Duty comparison is the same as this one. Battlefield and Call of Duty started as competitors in an already established genre (the WW2 shooter). They're both pulling ideas from the same sources, but not necessarily from each other.

In this case, you have a wildly popular game in an almost brand new genre (Minecraft) with several copies of varying success (Cubelands, Manic Digger, UberBlox, etc.). Even if they offer new or different things, it's basically a clone. I wouldn't lump Terraria into the clone category, but let's give credit where credit is due. It ripped the hearts and breath bubble sprites directly from the game, for cryin' out loud! icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ May 4 2011, 10:23 AM) View Post
I've only seen them actually build things to attract NPCs and to build blocks to climb out of pits. How the hell is that so similar to Minecraft that people can complain?

I mean, what about the inspiration behind Minecraft? Why isn't anyone complaining that Notch got his idea from Infiniminer? The difference between Terraria and Minecraft vs Minecraft and Infiniminer is negligible in comparison. You may redirect your complaints now.
People have complained that Minecraft is a copy of Infiniminer. However, Notch has been extremely forthcoming with his inspirational influences. In addition, Infiniminer development was ended a month after it began and the code was open source. icon_shrug.gif I don't even know if Infiniminer had randomly generated terrain, which is (arguably) the fundamental aspect of Minecraft.

I'm not saying that Terraria can't be a good game, and isn't original in certain ways, but it's standing on the shoulders of giants and isn't giving much credit.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 4 2011, 11:49 AM) View Post
On top of that, this game updates much faster and has more STUFF! If Notch can't keep up, well, sucks to be him.
Just because it has more stuff doesn't make it better. If somebody took Portal and threw in a rocket launcher, it doesn't make it a better game. icon_razz.gif

I'm no Minecraft fanboy (I haven't played in months) but I mean... let's be real. icon_razz.gif

#22 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ May 4 2011, 06:17 PM) View Post
Just because it has more stuff doesn't make it better.
As far as sandbox games go, it kinda does.

#23 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 5 2011, 02:52 AM) View Post

I'm tempted to argue this, but honestly because Minecraft is about as far as you can get into pure sandbox gameplay... yeah, okay, in general.

I mean, it's really not copying Minecraft all that much. It's like, "Here's a new sidescroller-action-vania kind of game with the differentiating factor of a Minecraft-style world." It is a totally different game, but in a Minecraft-saturated internet I am probably over sensitive to anything that could be cashing in on its success . icon_unsettled.gif

#24 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ May 5 2011, 02:52 AM) View Post

See my Lego analogy. You don't need chairs when you have stair blocks!

Also, Thanks Ebola for stating that far better than I could. I'm not saying every copy should have "MINECRAFT RIPOFF" written atop, but rather that they should at least be honest about their inspiration and cite/thank them somewhere accordingly. Maybe not every single one, but the major contributors.

#25 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Yet, that's only one, maybe two aspects of it. I mean, we have to keep in mind that when you have a concept, it can't be attributed to ONLY ONE something. Once again, the concept of mining out blocks can be attributed to Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, Dungeons, (Zelda Classic? icon_blah.gif ) and others. The concept of crafting can be found in most modern MMORPGs, though in varying ways.

So yeah, you can still create stuff in other games, just like in Minecraft. The method will differ. If you're going to say that "You can craft things in Terraria, just like in Minecraft," well, you don't have the 2-box craft thing in the inventory screen, nor the 3-box assembly system of a crafting table. You just have an actual crafting table, (You could name it whatever you want - Its function is still the same.) and then a list of stuff you could make. You don't have to actually place items in the right spaces like in Minecraft. The concept is slightly similar, but the execution itself differs greatly.

So then you have the inventory system, which is like Minecraft's, but it's also like World of Warcraft's, or Deus Ex's, or one of so many other games.

Sure, Terraria could say that it's got its spiritual roots in Minecraft, but that wasn't their goal. Their goal was to produce something that the majority of people would like to play, because they could. They didn't take their ideas straight from Minecraft. They took what people wanted, and went for it. People just happen to like Minecraft at the time, and they liked its sandboxy-nature, so there it is. Doesn't mean it's "Let's copy Minecraft, and then modify it to look like our own."

Because, when you put every little aspect of Terraria all together, and bunch them all up, and only look at it from one side, then yes, you're capable of saying "It should at least mention that it's like Minecraft," but if you turn that image around, you can say "It should at least mention its inventory system is like World of Warcraft's." Then where are we? Are we going to keep doing that?

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:00 PM

It's out on Steam right now. icon_biggrin.gif

#27 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:01 AM

I already bought it yesterday, been having so much fun with it. I've found a few items of interest, but mostly regular equipment. Can't wait to try out some multiplayer. icon_smile.gif

#28 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

Been playing multiplayer with hydrapheetz and some other people. It's not perfect (they released the game a little sooner than they had wanted, so there are a few things that aren't finished like desert and floating island biomes, snow and weather, a bit of strange clientside behavior regarding enemy positions so that they warp around a lot, etc.) but it's still a whole heck of a lot of fun. I wasted 9 hours on the thing yesterday. Holy crap.

This is quite possibly the best indie game on Steam. Combines Minecraft with Actraiser, with a small bit of Diablo. Plus there are content updates to come.

#29 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

Just got my review-code. I'm gonna have to try some online as well, as this seems to be a pretty major part of the game, so if anyone has any servers or if they wanna play, send me a PM or whatever. : )

#30 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I just got the game yesterday, its freaking awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users