Progress on my games

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hmm... I will have to see about that. I will probably ask for help once I decide. But yeah, custom SFX sounds doable.

#62 Purplemandown

Purplemandown

The Old Guard

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

WOW! I can't Wait for any of these to come out. HOD was the BEST DAMN STINKIN' QUEST I'VE EVER PLAYED!!!"

icon_biggrin.gif

#63 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

Shoelace, please, if you do anything with EotM, explain these things that HoD didn't:
What is the Dark Shadow the HoC talked about?
Who really is Lunapher (Donmore)?
What is that tribe, whose name I cannot remember, that appears sometimes, and was in charge of hiding some of the triforce peices?
Why wasn't the HoT one of the Hero's Spirits you talk to?

And by the way, HoD is definitely one of the best (of not the best) ZC quest ever made. The overworld was put together so well, the humor made it so funny, and the overall fell of it was amazing. It really has set the standard for newer quests.

#64 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

Saying it set the standard for later quests would imply that later quests surpassed it, which I believe to be untrue. icon_razz.gif

Interesting questions, Russ, and I'll be waiting to hear the answers.

#65 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:41 AM

Shoelace, please, if you do anything with EotM, explain these things that HoD didn't:
What is the Dark Shadow the HoC talked about?
Who really is Lunapher (Donmore)?
What is that tribe, whose name I cannot remember, that appears sometimes, and was in charge of hiding some of the triforce peices?
Why wasn't the HoT one of the Hero's Spirits you talk to?

Wow, you have been paying attention to The Hero of Dreams. EotM explains all of these things and more. It is really funny, you nailed a lot of the points of EotM. I can't say how, or what exactly happens in the game of EotM. But all I will say is that it does answer all of those questions, and that the story revolves around the story of The Dark Shadow and of course The Eye of the Moon, which not a lot of people know (if any), is a huge huge huge part of The Hero of Dreams. And by the way, the tribes name was The Scion Tribe.

Also, I am going to try to open up ZC tomorrow to get some work done. I have a lot of free time all of a sudden, so I am going to see if the lastest betas are good. *crosses fingers*

#66 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

I didn't finish HoD..., maybe I should sometime, I was somewhere stuck in Lvl4 I think.
I also think that you shouldn't stop using ZC, you have a great talent for this thing and you can make fantastic games with it, so why stopping? icon_smile.gif
I got bored of ZC multiple times, thus canceling all my projects again, and again... Now I'm finally ready to make an actual good quest. But what I try to say is that I got bored of it and a few months later I just pass by PureZC again to see what happened meanwhile and then I see something awesome and start making an own quest again, because awesome things can be a good inspiration.

Shoelace, you should check out my profile pic... icon_razz.gif

#67 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

Well it isn't that I am bored of ZC, because I am not. I am just bored of waiting for ZC 2.5 to come out. Since I had moved my project to it, I have to basically wait until it is released. I do think I will finish the game once it is released. But the future is foggy since I am getting older now, and I may have a girlfriend soon, and stuff like that. The more I wait, the more unattached I become. So that is why I am hoping to God, that 2.5 is coming out soon.

#68 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

Well, I'm fine if I'll have to wait to begin 2009 or something, but even longer..., come on Dev's! I think that there should be some kind of bug hunt event or something, preferably on PZC+AGN. All people will be mass-activated to search for bugs in the current build, and they all post them in the event's (sub)forum. Sort of betatesting for a quest. If we all work together, the release of 2.5 will be 10x as soon as it is now, right? So once the event ends, the Dev's can work all those bugs out and, viola! 2.5 is nearing finish, at least that feature freeze will end.

So like this:
Bug Hunting Event=>Loads of Bugs reported=>ZC Developers process them=>Version 2.5=> Shoelace makes awesome games. icon_biggrin.gif

#69 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

The betas are fiiine.

They're hardly less stable than 2.10 to be honest nowdays...

There are quite a few bugs around, but they're not gonna crash your programme and loose all your work or whatever.
Not for the most part anyway, never hurts to back up, but still.

#70 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

I can't emphasize enough how Murphy's law it is.
"No questmaker can make a quest that is like an official game, but if one can make, then he stops questing."
I feel if you really finish EotM that's still this law. You need TDS (and maybe HoD2) to override it.

I once quit ZC for the bugs of 2.11b12b, but at that time only Limzo remembered I exist (sometimes). If I were as loved as you, even the worst bugs and file corruptions and stable version delays couldn't steer me away from ZC.

And why is it a problem that you are getting older and getting girlfriend? ZC isn't a child's play. Nintendo development has even quite old, married (with children) members. It's not hard to open up ZQuest and work a half a hour every second day even if two children is running around you and a wife hands out a list of cores...

I wonder if I'm annoying to you. What I say comes only from the love towards your questing, so I shouldn't be.

Just don't take the secrets of HoD into the grave. Hey, when you ultimately give up ZC (never should happen...) then you could make a video about what was left out.

For example the Mt.Death girl shouldn't simply accept that she won't get to be the wife of Link, despite of giving the marriage proposal (Triforce piece) away...

#71 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Joe123 @ May 2 2008, 07:08 PM) View Post

The betas are fiiine.

They're hardly less stable than 2.10 to be honest nowdays...

There are quite a few bugs around, but they're not gonna crash your programme and loose all your work or whatever.
Not for the most part anyway, never hurts to back up, but still.

I agree on that, I'm making my quest on builds and I'm not having any problems so far. All major bugs have been repelled and the new "auto-save" feature always make sure you have a decent back up of your quest if you let it save frequently(the standard is the best) and you can also make your own back ups to be 100% sure you have a good backup lying around if you do it daily. icon_shrug.gif
I don't know why people still encouter the beta's as something dangerous, but it's no problem building your quest on it like said above, the builds are much more easier to use and support more features. Still, I'm not encouraging people to use them, that's just your own decision.

QUOTE(CastChaos @ May 2 2008, 07:15 PM) View Post

I can't emphasize enough how Murphy's law it is.
"No questmaker can make a quest that is like an official game, but if one can make, then he stops questing."
I feel if you really finish EotM that's still this law. You need TDS (and maybe HoD2) to override it.

I once quit ZC for the bugs of 2.11b12b, but at that time only Limzo remembered I exist (sometimes). If I were as loved as you, even the worst bugs and file corruptions and stable version delays couldn't steer me away from ZC.

And why is it a problem that you are getting older and getting girlfriend? ZC isn't a child's play. Nintendo development has even quite old, married (with children) members. It's not hard to open up ZQuest and work a half a hour every second day even if two children is running around you and a wife hands out a list of cores...

I wonder if I'm annoying to you. What I say comes only from the love towards your questing, so I shouldn't be.

Just don't take the secrets of HoD into the grave. Hey, when you ultimately give up ZC (never should happen...) then you could make a video about what was left out.

For example the Mt.Death girl shouldn't simply accept that she won't get to be the wife of Link, despite of giving the marriage proposal (Triforce piece) away...

I think you're quite popular already CastChaos, at least to me it is.

And yes, take example of Rocksfan, he has a wife and children and also uses ZC. Unless you meant that a GF would take much spare time, GF+ZC is a fine combinaton. Which also remembers me of this stupid prejudice: "People who use up a big part of their spare time to a computer are nurds and therby don't have a social life neither making chance to get a GF/BF"
Rubbish, I do have a social life, I've had a GF and I don't look like a nurd at all. People earlier think I'm a junky like most of my agegroup are.
Prejudices are absolute nonsense in most cases, so I think CC is right here and even if having a GF, you can make quests. Same is for the thing on ZC builds, they are quite safe and don't require that much work as everybody says.

#72 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

I am not saying that the betas are less stable. Because they are good. I am just sick of updating things. I have been adding and updating things because I will make things a certain way, but then in the next builds, the physics change or something changes so now I have bugs. And since I am a perfectionist, it bothers me. So I redo things. And then the new builds come out, and other things happen. It was just a never ending cycle. Maybe it is way better now, but I was just sick of the updating I had to do. I was like, I have been making this area in my game for the longest time, and I am sick of updating it.

Also, I like to use the verisons to its fullest capabitity. One thing that is very rooted in my game is the storyline. Almost every screen is important in my game. So, events happen all of the time. And I was told that there was a string editor and so I was like, oh, I better not make those screens yet as I will have to Update them once again. And then the string editor wasn't finished. But they have just recently told me, that it is put off to 3.0, so now I guess I will just continue then. I am going to use some scripts too, like the one you Press A to get a string out. So I will have to learn how to do that. But yeah.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is. I was just sick of the updating. Like 25 different times I have been going back to update, and I am scared that I will have to update again because of the future betas, and that is why I am so scared to work on it. Because I am just sick of it. That is why I was waiting for the final release so that I can update it once and I am good. No more problems. And if there is, I will just make it around it, like I did with 2.10. Not, work around it, and then go, DAMN IT, they fixed it. Well got to update that.

#73 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:26 PM

I am not saying that the betas are less stable. Because they are good. I am just sick of updating things. I have been adding and updating things because I will make things a certain way, but then in the next builds, the physics change or something changes so now I have bugs. And since I am a perfectionist, it bothers me. So I redo things. And then the new builds come out, and other things happen. It was just a never ending cycle. Maybe it is way better now, but I was just sick of the updating I had to do. I was like, I have been making this area in my game for the longest time, and I am sick of updating it.

_L_ is somewhat 'tamer' (=P) perhaps now, and that sort of thing doesn't really happen anymore.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I have a girlfriend.
She was playing my games the other day.
Didn't really get very far, I had to go and reduce all the enemies in tFK down to about 10%, but she seemed to appreciate it =P

Edited by Joe123, 02 May 2008 - 12:27 PM.

#74 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

• Members

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

Ohh, I know what you mean by that, but I don't utilisize all of the beta features. Since the feature freeze you won't have problems with the continueless new features too. There are only small ones now.
And the bugs are irritating, but I don't work around them. I should test my quest again because I think I encoutered a bug lately, but I don't really care, most of the bugs aren't even related to the things I use. Like classic cave guys not appearing, barely anyone makes use of them anymore.

#75 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ May 1 2008, 11:41 PM) View Post

Wow, you have been paying attention to The Hero of Dreams.

That's because storyline is key to a good quest, and since HoD was the first ZC quest I played that wasn't your standard save Zelda from Ganon quest, I really payed attention to little details. By the way, HoD still has the best storyline of any ZC quest. And it's the funniest. I laughed my head off at some of Link's antics. "Triforce, I've heard of that before. Is it deodorant?" icon_lol.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users