OBS stops working for some reason

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

So, I am thinking about LPing some stuff, and I am testing OBS (Open Broadcast Software) to try and record some stuff in Minecraft, and in the encoding section in the settings, I have the bitrate set to 5,000.. and any more than that, just doesn't really work, and when recording with OBS, the video freezes up after a second or two, and the bitrate at 5,000 still looks kinda.. bad, and it also seems to be a bit choppy with the recording, even though I have the FPS for it to record at set to 30.

I am using Windows 8.1 (yes I know, windows 8, I didn't really have much control over what OS I got when I got my new PC >_>) 64 bit.

I would be willing to try other free software if anyone knows of any, but I heard OBS was good so that's what I have tested with.

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

Probably unrelated, but when's the last time that you used CCleaner?

#3 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Probably unrelated, but when's the last time that you used CCleaner?

Never, I do have Malewarebytes and Avast installed, though.

#4 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

Well, that's certainly a good thing. Just for kicks, try turning Avast's protection off for the duration of a recording session. Just for experimentation's sake.

Though they're mostly unrelated to this issue. CCleaner can do things like cleaning caches and create space. It's an oddly useful little program. I'm really just theorizing, but what if there's a folder where OBS keeps its recordings, and it's filled up due to overuse? CCleaner might be able to find that and clean out those temporary files, since it does have a tie-in with installed software. Again though, this is merely a hypothetical.

#5 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

Okay, I clicked on disable shields for 10 minutes aaaand...

My PC crash-restarted, and said something along the lines of

:{ Windows ran into a problem and needs to restart.

with a blue background (and a normal frowny face, but that makes a frown face emoji on here, so I replaced the  with a {).

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 04 June 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:12 PM

If it generated a log, there's a program to view it. Be sure to get the 32 bit or 64 bit version as appropriate.

#7 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

So, I just ran that, and it seems the OS just decided to crash because.. it wanted to. Says that "hal.dll" is the cause, and that hal.dll's product name is "Microsoft Windows Operating System".

#8 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

Is it possible your computer has some sort of virus that infected you when the shields were disabled?

I'd be freaking out if that happened to me.

#9 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Is it possible your computer has some sort of virus that infected you when the shields were disabled?

I'd be freaking out if that happened to me.

I doubt that, unless I already had a virus in the background that started when I turned off my shields, which I still doubt.

#10 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:19 AM

Actually,last time I saw that, I think it was a hardware failure error. Possibly caused by overheating. But that was a Windows Vista PC, and about 6 years or more ago, so don't quote me on it.

#11 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

You should google the bugcheck code associated with the bluescreen/reset. In any case, how new is your antivirus software? If you're using an old version than that is likely what triggered the bluescreen as virus scanners tend to integrate themselves tightly with the operating system and new operating systems work differently and have different security protocols etc.

#12 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:50 AM

You should google the bugcheck code associated with the bluescreen/reset. In any case, how new is your antivirus software? If you're using an old version than that is likely what triggered the bluescreen as virus scanners tend to integrate themselves tightly with the operating system and new operating systems work differently and have different security protocols etc.

It.. didn't give me any error codes, and I installed Avast a few months ago (I think), I also installed MalewareBytes right after I got my new PC (the one I am using now) which was like 5ish months ago I think.

Edited by Coolgamer012345, 05 June 2015 - 01:51 AM.

#13 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:02 AM

it should have given some kind of error code, something that maybe looked like 0x00000123 or something of that nature

#14 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:08 AM

Okay, so I checked with that program, and there was a few things it gave which might be useful:
Bug Check String: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Bug Check Code: 0x0000001e

#15 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:30 AM

https://support.micr...8?wa=wsignin1.0

Tons of info on debugging the bluescreen error here, but I can totally understand if you can't be bothered with any of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users